Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

bpi

Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

bpi
Hi,

What VM would you recommend for a production app on macOS Sierra?
- Pharo 6, right?
- I assume 32-bit because 64-bit is still experimental, right?
- The one I get with „curl get.pharo.org | bash“ has a reproducible crash when typing (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/141). So it can’t be the recommended one, right?

I must admit I am quite confused.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

EstebanLM
Hi,

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 20:08, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> What VM would you recommend for a production app on macOS Sierra?
> - Pharo 6, right?
yes

> - I assume 32-bit because 64-bit is still experimental, right?
not particularly, you can download it and use it.
some tests fails but people is already using it (iceberg will not work, but AFAIK, is the only thing that does not works).

> - The one I get with „curl get.pharo.org | bash“ has a reproducible crash when typing (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/141). So it can’t be the recommended one, right?
nevertheless is the current recommended one, and that bug is annoying us all :)

but we hope to be able to fix it eventually, of course :)

cheers!
Esteban

> I must admit I am quite confused.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

Tim Mackinnon
So does that mean we should use the Pharo5 vm for production then? It sounds like 6 is still a bit bleeding edge and for production applications we should wait for 6.1?

At the moment it seems a little chaotic - we all like the new features, and 6 is definitely a breath of fresh air - however if you want to deploy something commercially then you need stability.

Tim

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 19:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 3 Jul 2017, at 20:08, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What VM would you recommend for a production app on macOS Sierra?
>> - Pharo 6, right?
> yes
>
>> - I assume 32-bit because 64-bit is still experimental, right?
> not particularly, you can download it and use it.
> some tests fails but people is already using it (iceberg will not work, but AFAIK, is the only thing that does not works).
>
>> - The one I get with „curl get.pharo.org | bash“ has a reproducible crash when typing (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/141). So it can’t be the recommended one, right?
> nevertheless is the current recommended one, and that bug is annoying us all :)
>
> but we hope to be able to fix it eventually, of course :)
>
> cheers!
> Esteban
>

>> I must admit I am quite confused.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard

Re: Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

EstebanLM
pharo 6 is very stable and should be used in production.
every version has bugs, that will not change. Yes, that particular bug can be annoying but it does not happens always (for example, I’m unable to reproduce it, which is in fact part of the reason why I cannot fix it).

cheers,
Esteban

> On 5 Jul 2017, at 14:39, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So does that mean we should use the Pharo5 vm for production then? It sounds like 6 is still a bit bleeding edge and for production applications we should wait for 6.1?
>
> At the moment it seems a little chaotic - we all like the new features, and 6 is definitely a breath of fresh air - however if you want to deploy something commercially then you need stability.
>

> Tim
>
>> On 3 Jul 2017, at 19:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 3 Jul 2017, at 20:08, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What VM would you recommend for a production app on macOS Sierra?
>>> - Pharo 6, right?
>> yes
>>
>>> - I assume 32-bit because 64-bit is still experimental, right?
>> not particularly, you can download it and use it.
>> some tests fails but people is already using it (iceberg will not work, but AFAIK, is the only thing that does not works).
>>
>>> - The one I get with „curl get.pharo.org | bash“ has a reproducible crash when typing (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/141). So it can’t be the recommended one, right?
>> nevertheless is the current recommended one, and that bug is annoying us all :)
>>
>> but we hope to be able to fix it eventually, of course :)
>>
>> cheers!
>> Esteban
>>

>>> I must admit I am quite confused.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bernhard

Re: Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

Tim Mackinnon
Ahh - thats more reassuring. There is quite a lot going on at the moment and so it gets a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for all the hard work you’ve put into this by the way - its really starting to open up the doors we all needed.

Tim

> On 5 Jul 2017, at 15:02, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> pharo 6 is very stable and should be used in production.
> every version has bugs, that will not change. Yes, that particular bug can be annoying but it does not happens always (for example, I’m unable to reproduce it, which is in fact part of the reason why I cannot fix it).
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>
>> On 5 Jul 2017, at 14:39, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So does that mean we should use the Pharo5 vm for production then? It sounds like 6 is still a bit bleeding edge and for production applications we should wait for 6.1?
>>
>> At the moment it seems a little chaotic - we all like the new features, and 6 is definitely a breath of fresh air - however if you want to deploy something commercially then you need stability.
>>

>> Tim
>>
>>> On 3 Jul 2017, at 19:28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> yes

>>> not particularly, you can download it and use it.
>>> some tests fails but people is already using it (iceberg will not work, but AFAIK, is the only thing that does not works).

>>> nevertheless is the current recommended one, and that bug is annoying us all :)
>>>
>>> but we hope to be able to fix it eventually, of course :)
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban

Re: Recommended production VM on latest macOS Sierra?

Ben Coman

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
So does that mean we should use the Pharo5 vm for production then? It sounds like 6 is still a bit bleeding edge

There is probably no stability advantage in Pharo-5-32bit over Pharo-6-32bit, and "6" will be supported longer.
There was no released Pharo-5-64bit for comparison IIUC Pharo-6-64bit is "stable" but I guess as its adopted into more varied use and environments, some issues may arise.  So use 6-64bit if you need its image size capability, otherwise use 6-32bit (but still develop using 6-64bit to find those outlying bugs more quickly and cover 6-32bit with CI testing)

cheers -ben

and for production applications we should wait for 6.1?

What you want is for any bugs you find to be integrated into 6.1, so you need to use 6.0 to find them ;)

cheers -ben