Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

BrunoBB
Hi,

I have a project working ok under GemStone 3.1.0.4.

After installing GemStone 3.1.0.5 in a clean Linux Centos, i want to install my packages.

The seaside install script i used is this:
https://github.com/glassdb/Seaside31

Now i want to add my configurations but i got an error (see stack below):
The versions of Monticello, Metacello, Seaside should be ok ? (https://github.com/glassdb/Seaside31).
Gofer new
    repository: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/XMIReader';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfStateMachine-BrunoBB';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfXMIFactory-BrunoBB';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfXMIReader-BrunoBB';
    load "this fails -see stack-"

If i use Jade Monticello Browser i can load the package without problems.

May be i'm doing something wrong or may be i loaded not the lastest version of some packages ?

regards,
Bruno

Stack:
MessageNotUnderstood >> defaultAction (envId 0) @2 line 3
AbstractException >> _signalWith: (envId 0) @5 line 25
AbstractException >> signal (envId 0) @2 line 47
Object >> doesNotUnderstand: (envId 0) @9 line 10
Object >> _doesNotUnderstand:args:envId:reason: (envId 0) @7 line 12
[] in  Gofer >> basicReferencesIn: (envId 0) @2 line 2
ExecBlock >> on:do: (envId 0) @3 line 42
Gofer >> basicReferencesIn: (envId 0) @2 line 3
[] in  Gofer >> allResolvedIn: (envId 0) @2 line 5
AbstractDictionary >> at:ifAbsentPut: (envId 0) @7 line 14
Gofer >> allResolvedIn: (envId 0) @5 line 5
[] in  Gofer >> allResolved (envId 0) @2 line 7
Collection >> do: (envId 0) @5 line 10
Gofer >> allResolved (envId 0) @5 line 7
GoferReference >> resolveAllWith: (envId 0) @2 line 4
GoferReference >> resolveWith: (envId 0) @2 line 5
[] in  Gofer >> resolved (envId 0) @2 line 4
SequenceableCollection >> collect: (envId 0) @9 line 16
Gofer >> resolved (envId 0) @3 line 4
GoferLoad >> initializeOn: (envId 0) @3 line 3
GoferOperation class >> on: (envId 0) @3 line 2
Gofer >> execute:do: (envId 0) @3 line 3
Gofer >> execute: (envId 0) @2 line 2
Gofer >> load (envId 0) @2 line 4
Executed Code            @7 line 6
GsNMethod class >> _gsReturnToC (envId 0) @1 line 1

Re: [Glass] Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

Dale Henrichs-3
Bruno,

With arguments in the stack and the message that is not understood, I can't really tell what went wrong ...

It is not immediately obvious what could be going wrong ... The fact that "it works in Jade" is suspicious because unless Jade brings in it's own version of Gofer, I can't imagine why the above code would behave differently when run in Jade.

Of course I have no idea in which environment you are attempting the load? Topaz, GemTools, or a workspace in Jade?

Looking at Gofer>>basicReferencesIn:

  basicReferencesIn: aRepository
    ^ [ aRepository goferReferences asSortedCollection asArray ]
      on: GoferRepositoryError
      do: errorBlock

I really cannot understand how any of those messages would be missing...wait ... MCFileBasedRepository>>goferReferences signals and returns a GoferRepositoryError instead of a collection if an error occurs, so if you are catching GoferRepositoryError and resuming, you could get the type of MNU you are seeing, but I don't who are what would be catching and resuming errors...

Dale

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM, BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale,

I loaded Metacello from a Jade Script from:
https://github.com/glassdb/Seaside31

After exploring some methods so see what is going on, i came up with:
Gofer new "THIS WORKS"
    url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Orbeon';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOrbeon-BrunoBB';
    load.

This works fine (as in Jade) but if you change #url: for #repository: then it fails.

Gofer new "THIS FAIL"
        repository: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Orbeon';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfOrbeon-BrunoBB';
        load.

It seem that i have loaded a different versions of Metacello/Gofer or the Gofer script is outdated (repository should be changed for url).

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [Glass] Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

BrunoBB

Aclaration,

This works fine (as in Jade GUI -monticello browser-) but if you change #url: for #repository: then it fails.

Re: [Glass] Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

Dale Henrichs-3
passing an url into the #repository: fails, because the argument to #repository: is supposed to be an instance of MCRepository...

So the Gofer script is wrong ...

I don't think Gofer ever did accept an url in the# repository:, so you Metacello/Gofer version is probably fine...

Dale

The Gofer script is from http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Orbeon.html - see image below.

regards,
bruno

Re: [Glass] Reconstruct a project from scratch with Metacello

Dale Henrichs-3
Ah yes, the SS3 gofer template bug[1] ... the script templates were an experiment:)

SS3 was released into production as an Alpha, because SmalltalkHub was running late and squeaksource was too unstable ... Since then, Tobias (the author of SS3) and I (operator of the web-site) have not been able to get our schedules to coincide so that we can spend the week or two working out the scripts for upgrading the alpha with the bugfixes from Tobias - we originally intended to toss the apha version and Tobias made some pretty significant improvements rewriting chunks of the system while the alpha hung in limbo...

other than a few annoying bugs, the alpha ss3 is pretty doggone stable ..

At the end of the day, I've been putting my effort into tODE and support for git, because I think that git/github offers a superior  experience for collaborative development ...

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:11 AM, BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dale,

The Gofer script is from http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Orbeon.html - see
image below.

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4761628/gofer.png>