Reconstructing Vectorised Photographic Images - ID47879.pdf

Reconstructing Vectorised Photographic Images - ID47879.pdf

Ken G. Brown
In case this might be of interest...

<http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/12/12/204241/vector-vengeance-british-claim-they-can-kill-the-pixel-within-five-years>

<http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/47879/1/ID47879.pdf>

RECONSTRUCTING VECTORISED PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES
J.W. Patterson*, C.D. Taylor

, P.J. Willis
††
*
University of Glasgow, UK , [hidden email]

University of Heriot-Watt, UK, [hidden email]
††
University of Bath, UK, [hidden email]
Abstract
We address the problem of representing captured images in
the continuous mathematical space more usually associated
with certain forms of drawn (‘vector’) images. Such an image
is resolution-independent so can be used as a master for
varying resolution-specific format
s. We briefly describe the
main features of a vectorisi
ng codec for photographic images,
whose significance is that drawing programs can access
images and image components as
first-class vector objects.
This paper focuses on the problem of rendering from the
isochromic contour form
of a vectorised image and
demonstrates a new fill algorithm which could also be used in
drawing generally. The fill method is described in terms of
level set diffusion equations for
clarity. Finally we show that
image warping is both simplified and enhanced in this form
and that we can demonstrate real histogram equalisation with
genuinely rectangular histograms.

   Ken G. Brown

Re: Reconstructing Vectorised Photographic Images - ID47879.pdf

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Ken! It is really interesting. A friend had sent this to me just
a couple of hours before you did.

It looks like it will finally happen. Hopefully, next year, Cuis /
Morphic 3 will be the first desktop and ide to make it real.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Ken G. Brown wrote:

> In case this might be of interest...
>
> <http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/12/12/204241/vector-vengeance-british-claim-they-can-kill-the-pixel-within-five-years>
>
> <http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/47879/1/ID47879.pdf>
>
> RECONSTRUCTING VECTORISED PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES
> J.W. Patterson*, C.D. Taylor
> †
> , P.J. Willis
> ††
> *
> University of Glasgow, UK , [hidden email]
> †
> University of Heriot-Watt, UK, [hidden email]
> ††
> University of Bath, UK, [hidden email]
> Abstract
> We address the problem of representing captured images in
> the continuous mathematical space more usually associated
> with certain forms of drawn (‘vector’) images. Such an image
> is resolution-independent so can be used as a master for
> varying resolution-specific format
> s. We briefly describe the
> main features of a vectorisi
> ng codec for photographic images,
> whose significance is that drawing programs can access
> images and image components as
> first-class vector objects.
> This paper focuses on the problem of rendering from the
> isochromic contour form
> of a vectorised image and
> demonstrates a new fill algorithm which could also be used in
> drawing generally. The fill method is described in terms of
> level set diffusion equations for
> clarity. Finally we show that
> image warping is both simplified and enhanced in this form
> and that we can demonstrate real histogram equalisation with
> genuinely rectangular histograms.
>
>    Ken G. Brown

Re: Reconstructing Vectorised Photographic Images - ID47879.pdf

Ken G. Brown
Welcome. Dang, missed being first...Better to get it more than once tho I guess.
Good you found it interesting. Sounds pretty nifty.

   Ken