classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Recovering Changes from a broken image

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

One of the cool things of Smalltalk's images/changes file is that you can do a World Menu > Tools > Recover lost changes… to get back most [1] of your code in case your image/OS/machine suddenly crashed or you forgot to save your image or commit your Monticello packages.

But we all have encountered the situation where the image is broken, saved in such a state that it no longer starts up properly. In that case your code might seem lost forever.

No, it is not !

Two days ago I had this problem myself and I remembered something Marcus said some time ago: you can access the changes file of one (in casu your broken image) from another (working) image to select/recover the changes you want. It worked perfectly.

The easiest procedure it to copy the .changes file from the broken image and rename its extension to .cs and then open it from a World Menu > Tools > File Browser and open a Changes browser on it.

I found this very useful. This is a really important technique to be aware of.

Sven

[1] Sadly, not everything is logged in the changes file: creation of new classes, method deletions are not recorded.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Recovering Changes from a broken image

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the cool things of Smalltalk's images/changes file is that you can do a World Menu > Tools > Recover lost changes… to get back most [1] of your code in case your image/OS/machine suddenly crashed or you forgot to save your image or commit your Monticello packages.
>
> But we all have encountered the situation where the image is broken, saved in such a state that it no longer starts up properly. In that case your code might seem lost forever.
>
> No, it is not !
>
> Two days ago I had this problem myself and I remembered something Marcus said some time ago: you can access the changes file of one (in casu your broken image) from another (working) image to select/recover the changes you want. It worked perfectly.
>
> The easiest procedure it to copy the .changes file from the broken image and rename its extension to .cs and then open it from a World Menu > Tools > File Browser and open a Changes browser on it.

We should add a recover from another image shortcut.
>
> I found this very useful. This is a really important technique to be aware of.
>
> Sven
>
> [1] Sadly, not everything is logged in the changes file: creation of new classes, method deletions are not recorded.

Yes we should change that.
Ezequiel started to work on a new description of changes.

>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>
> On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the cool things of Smalltalk's images/changes file is that you can do a World Menu > Tools > Recover lost changes… to get back most [1] of your code in case your image/OS/machine suddenly crashed or you forgot to save your image or commit your Monticello packages.
>>
>> But we all have encountered the situation where the image is broken, saved in such a state that it no longer starts up properly. In that case your code might seem lost forever.
>>
>> No, it is not !
>>
>> Two days ago I had this problem myself and I remembered something Marcus said some time ago: you can access the changes file of one (in casu your broken image) from another (working) image to select/recover the changes you want. It worked perfectly.
>>
>> The easiest procedure it to copy the .changes file from the broken image and rename its extension to .cs and then open it from a World Menu > Tools > File Browser and open a Changes browser on it.
>
> We should add a recover from another image shortcut.
>>
>> I found this very useful. This is a really important technique to be aware of.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> [1] Sadly, not everything is logged in the changes file: creation of new classes, method deletions are not recorded.
>
> Yes we should change that.
> Ezequiel started to work on a new description of changes.

I though they were logged as "do it" , am i wrong ?

Ben

>
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> http://stfx.eu
>> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

xx397
On 08/11/2012 20:15, Benjamin wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One of the cool things of Smalltalk's images/changes file is that you can do a World Menu > Tools > Recover lost changes… to get back most [1] of your code in case your image/OS/machine suddenly crashed or you forgot to save your image or commit your Monticello packages.
>>>
>>> But we all have encountered the situation where the image is broken, saved in such a state that it no longer starts up properly. In that case your code might seem lost forever.
>>>
>>> No, it is not !
>>>
>>> Two days ago I had this problem myself and I remembered something Marcus said some time ago: you can access the changes file of one (in casu your broken image) from another (working) image to select/recover the changes you want. It worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> The easiest procedure it to copy the .changes file from the broken image and rename its extension to .cs and then open it from a World Menu > Tools > File Browser and open a Changes browser on it.
>> We should add a recover from another image shortcut.
>>> I found this very useful. This is a really important technique to be aware of.
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> [1] Sadly, not everything is logged in the changes file: creation of new classes, method deletions are not recorded.
>> Yes we should change that.
>> Ezequiel started to work on a new description of changes.
> I though they were logged as "do it" , am i wrong ?
>
> Ben

I always thought class create and method delete worked fine. There are a
few issues with the current system that would be great to see addressed;
instance variables created from the source code itself, class renames,
repackaging etc

>
>>> --
>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>>> http://stfx.eu
>>> Smalltalk is the Red Pill
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 08 Nov 2012, at 21:37, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I always thought class create and method delete worked fine.

I don't see them in my .changes file in Pharo 2.0

I also thought these were recorded as simple doits.

Reply | Threaded
|

xx397
On 08/11/2012 20:54, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> On 08 Nov 2012, at 21:37, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I always thought class create and method delete worked fine.
> I don't see them in my .changes file in Pharo 2.0
>
> I also thought these were recorded as simple doits.
Yes you're right. Just tried it in 1.4 and 2.0 and it only seems to be
working in the former.