Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

Andreas.Raab
Hi -

I just had an "Unwind error during termination" from which I was only
able to recover by hand-editing the underlying debugger. It seems that
trying to abort or otherwise closing the window will result in another
unwind error which leaves one in precisely the same situation as before.
Has anyone seen that problem before, and if so, has any idea how to fix
that?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

timrowledge

On 16-Jan-06, at 4:46 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I just had an "Unwind error during termination" from which I was
> only able to recover by hand-editing the underlying debugger. It
> seems that trying to abort or otherwise closing the window will
> result in another unwind error which leaves one in precisely the
> same situation as before. Has anyone seen that problem before, and
> if so, has any idea how to fix that?
I've noticed this a few times when using the TestRunner and
abandoning a failed test. I *think* when I open a debugger on a test
that fails an assert is when it happens. I look, see what is wrong
and closes the debugger. Sometimes a little while after that I get
this error. Normally I can get rid of it after closing the notifier,
sometimes several of them. Once I vaguely recall having to simply
abandon an image.
My only thought on the cause relate to the fact that the testrunner
uses another process to run the tests and unwinding across processes
may well be an issue.

tim
Useful random insult:- Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard
wasn't watching.

Re: Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

Colin Putney

On Jan 16, 2006, at 7:57 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> I just had an "Unwind error during termination" from which I was
>> only able to recover by hand-editing the underlying debugger. It
>> seems that trying to abort or otherwise closing the window will
>> result in another unwind error which leaves one in precisely the
>> same situation as before. Has anyone seen that problem before, and
>> if so, has any idea how to fix that?
> I've noticed this a few times when using the TestRunner and
> abandoning a failed test. I *think* when I open a debugger on a
> test that fails an assert is when it happens. I look, see what is
> wrong and closes the debugger. Sometimes a little while after that
> I get this error. Normally I can get rid of it after closing the
> notifier, sometimes several of them. Once I vaguely recall having
> to simply abandon an image.
> My only thought on the cause relate to the fact that the testrunner
> uses another process to run the tests and unwinding across
> processes may well be an issue.

I've run into this too. I don't know what causes it, but I have
discovered that you can escape from the loop by *proceeding* from the
error.

Colin

Colin Putney wrote:
> I've run into this too. I don't know what causes it, but I have
> discovered that you can escape from the loop by *proceeding* from the
> error.

Uh. Now that's odd. Now that's *really* odd. I didn't even think of
that. "Hit proceed to abandon" ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 17.01.2006 um 05:06 schrieb Colin Putney:

> On Jan 16, 2006, at 7:57 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>>> I just had an "Unwind error during termination" from which I was
>>> only able to recover by hand-editing the underlying debugger. It
>>> seems that trying to abort or otherwise closing the window will
>>> result in another unwind error which leaves one in precisely the
>>> same situation as before. Has anyone seen that problem before,
>>> and if so, has any idea how to fix that?
>> I've noticed this a few times when using the TestRunner and
>> abandoning a failed test. I *think* when I open a debugger on a
>> test that fails an assert is when it happens. I look, see what is
>> wrong and closes the debugger. Sometimes a little while after that
>> I get this error. Normally I can get rid of it after closing the
>> notifier, sometimes several of them. Once I vaguely recall having
>> to simply abandon an image.
>> My only thought on the cause relate to the fact that the
>> testrunner uses another process to run the tests and unwinding
>> across processes may well be an issue.
>
> I've run into this too. I don't know what causes it, but I have
> discovered that you can escape from the loop by *proceeding* from
> the error.

Happened to me, too. I can't quite remember how I got rid of it, but
since I continue to use that image, I must have make it go away ;-)

- Bert -

Re: Recovering from "Unwind error during termination"?

Michael Roberts-2
tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 16-Jan-06, at 4:46 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I just had an "Unwind error during termination" from which I was  only
>> able to recover by hand-editing the underlying debugger. It  seems
>> that trying to abort or otherwise closing the window will  result in
>> another unwind error which leaves one in precisely the  same situation
>> as before. Has anyone seen that problem before, and  if so, has any
>> idea how to fix that?
>
> I've noticed this a few times when using the TestRunner and  abandoning
> a failed test.

I've definitely seen this with the TestRunner.  I think there was a fix
for this floating around.  Google knows about the thread "[BUG][FIX]
SUnit Unwind error during process termination".  If your not doing
anything with SUnit then that's a new one for me.

Cheers,

Mike