Recovering from a bad crash...

Rich Warren
I was trying to run test cases for a project I'm working on, when I
started getting a lot of errors (Unwind errors, or something like
that). I eventually got them to stop, but a few seconds later the
entire squeak environment went black. I had to force quit (working on
a mac here), and when I tried to restart squeak, it appears to load,
but nothing shows up.

Is there any way to recover from something like this, or will I need
to go back to a fresh image? I have a fair bit of code already
written, and I'd rather not lose it.

I've had intermittent trouble with squeak locking up (usually as a
result of something I've done--but sometimes command-. doesn't fix
things and I have to force quit). Are there any steps I can take to
make squeak more stable?

Thanks,

-Rich-

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

Ralph Johnson
> Is there any way to recover from something like this, or will I need
> to go back to a fresh image? I have a fair bit of code already
> written, and I'd rather not lose it.

You should go back to a fresh image, but you shouldn't lose any code.
The .changes file contains a log of all your code.  Your code will be
at the end of it.  Because everything is logged, you might want to
pick and choose the changes that you apply to the new image, but all
your code is there somewhere.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

stéphane ducasse-2
Basically it is really rare that you lose your code in smalltalk (may
if you disc is totally full).
never throw away an image and its change file after a crash. You can
do a recover from last changes or I never remeber the item name in
the changes menu.
The changes is a log of all the actions you performed.

In addtion I suggest you to sue monticello so that you publish you
code on a remote server (and you house can burn
and the code is still saved) and also automatically backed up on your
local disc.

So with changes + MC
normally you should never lose code

Stef

Could you let us know what exactly crahsed your system because
normally squeak is quite robust.

On 26 août 06, at 10:36, Rich Warren wrote:

> I was trying to run test cases for a project I'm working on, when I
> started getting a lot of errors (Unwind errors, or something like
> that). I eventually got them to stop, but a few seconds later the
> entire squeak environment went black. I had to force quit (working
> on a mac here), and when I tried to restart squeak, it appears to
> load, but nothing shows up.
>
> Is there any way to recover from something like this, or will I
> need to go back to a fresh image? I have a fair bit of code already
> written, and I'd rather not lose it.
>
> I've had intermittent trouble with squeak locking up (usually as a
> result of something I've done--but sometimes command-. doesn't fix
> things and I have to force quit). Are there any steps I can take to
> make squeak more stable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich-

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

Rich Warren
I had to get rid of the image, but I was able to load the changes
from the old image to the new image, so I didn't lose any code. (I'm
not sure if I did it the best way, but it seems to have worked--was a
bit of a pain, however). I'm also backing up my image nightly now to
a remote server--so I hope there are no future problems.

I was modifying the Balloon3D tutorial to make it print function
classes (I will be using 30-dimension functions to test a ML
implementation--but I wanted to print out the 2D versions to visually
inspect the surfaces).

It may have been a memory issue. Previously I had tried to create a
500 x 500 mesh, and bad things started to happen. That locked up the
UI and command-period didn't save me. I force quit squeak and
restarted, and everything seemed fine.

I was then debugging the function class code. I don't remember
exactly what I was doing, but I was in the debugger at the time. I
started getting error messages, something about an "error when
unwinding?" Anyway, the message kept popping up, and nothing I did
would get rid of them. Then everything went black.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice and support!

-Rich-

On Aug 26, 2006, at 3:41 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Basically it is really rare that you lose your code in smalltalk
> (may if you disc is totally full).
> never throw away an image and its change file after a crash. You can
> do a recover from last changes or I never remeber the item name in
> the changes menu.
> The changes is a log of all the actions you performed.
>
> In addtion I suggest you to sue monticello so that you publish you
> code on a remote server (and you house can burn
> and the code is still saved) and also automatically backed up on
> your local disc.
>
> So with changes + MC
> normally you should never lose code
>
> Stef
>
> Could you let us know what exactly crahsed your system because
> normally squeak is quite robust.
>

> On 26 août 06, at 10:36, Rich Warren wrote:
>
>> I was trying to run test cases for a project I'm working on, when
>> I started getting a lot of errors (Unwind errors, or something
>> like that). I eventually got them to stop, but a few seconds later
>> the entire squeak environment went black. I had to force quit
>> (working on a mac here), and when I tried to restart squeak, it
>> appears to load, but nothing shows up.
>>
>> Is there any way to recover from something like this, or will I
>> need to go back to a fresh image? I have a fair bit of code
>> already written, and I'd rather not lose it.
>>
>> I've had intermittent trouble with squeak locking up (usually as a
>> result of something I've done--but sometimes command-. doesn't fix
>> things and I have to force quit). Are there any steps I can take
>> to make squeak more stable?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Rich-

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

stéphane ducasse-2
rich

take 5 min to understand how to use monticello.
This is the best advice I can give you.
Have a look at my videos
        http://www.univ-savoie.fr/Portail/Groupes/LISTIC/membres/
Stephane.Ducasse/Resources.html
  and the chapter explaining MC
        http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-M1-OOP/
OOPAvance.pdf (in english)

Stef

On 28 août 06, at 03:25, Rich Warren wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Could you let us know what exactly crahsed your system because
>> normally squeak is quite robust.
>>

>> On 26 août 06, at 10:36, Rich Warren wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to run test cases for a project I'm working on, when
>>> I started getting a lot of errors (Unwind errors, or something
>>> like that). I eventually got them to stop, but a few seconds
>>> later the entire squeak environment went black. I had to force
>>> quit (working on a mac here), and when I tried to restart squeak,
>>> it appears to load, but nothing shows up.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to recover from something like this, or will I
>>> need to go back to a fresh image? I have a fair bit of code
>>> already written, and I'd rather not lose it.
>>>
>>> I've had intermittent trouble with squeak locking up (usually as
>>> a result of something I've done--but sometimes command-. doesn't
>>> fix things and I have to force quit). Are there any steps I can

I looked at monticello, as I understand it, I don't think it will be
a big help (at least not that I'm now doing nightly backups of the
image to my .mac account). My current setup is automated, and
monticello would force me to manually commit changes, so it would
actually be a step backwards.

But, I may have missed something important.

On another note, is there any way to control the amount of memory the
VM is using? Particularly on the Mac?

Thanks,

-Rich-

On Aug 27, 2006, at 10:07 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> rich
>
> take 5 min to understand how to use monticello.
> This is the best advice I can give you.
> Have a look at my videos
> http://www.univ-savoie.fr/Portail/Groupes/LISTIC/membres/
> Stephane.Ducasse/Resources.html
>  and the chapter explaining MC
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-M1-OOP/
> OOPAvance.pdf (in english)
>
> Stef
>

> On 28 août 06, at 03:25, Rich Warren wrote:
>
>> I had to get rid of the image, but I was able to load the changes
>> from the old image to the new image, so I didn't lose any code.
>> (I'm not sure if I did it the best way, but it seems to have
>> worked--was a bit of a pain, however). I'm also backing up my
>> image nightly now to a remote server--so I hope there are no
>> future problems.
>>
>> I was modifying the Balloon3D tutorial to make it print function
>> classes (I will be using 30-dimension functions to test a ML
>> implementation--but I wanted to print out the 2D versions to
>> visually inspect the surfaces).
>>
>> It may have been a memory issue. Previously I had tried to create
>> a 500 x 500 mesh, and bad things started to happen. That locked up
>> the UI and command-period didn't save me. I force quit squeak and
>> restarted, and everything seemed fine.
>>
>> I was then debugging the function class code. I don't remember
>> exactly what I was doing, but I was in the debugger at the time. I
>> started getting error messages, something about an "error when
>> unwinding?" Anyway, the message kept popping up, and nothing I did
>> would get rid of them. Then everything went black.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice and support!
>>
>> -Rich-
>>

>> On Aug 26, 2006, at 3:41 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Basically it is really rare that you lose your code in smalltalk
>>> (may if you disc is totally full).
>>> never throw away an image and its change file after a crash. You can
>>> do a recover from last changes or I never remeber the item name
>>> in the changes menu.
>>> The changes is a log of all the actions you performed.
>>>
>>> In addtion I suggest you to sue monticello so that you publish
>>> you code on a remote server (and you house can burn
>>> and the code is still saved) and also automatically backed up on
>>> your local disc.
>>>
>>> So with changes + MC
>>> normally you should never lose code
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> Could you let us know what exactly crahsed your system because
>>> normally squeak is quite robust.

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

cbeler
Hi
> I looked at monticello, as I understand it, I don't think it will be a
> big help (at least not that I'm now doing nightly backups of the image
> to my .mac account). My current setup is automated, and monticello
> would force me to manually commit changes, so it would actually be a
> step backwards.
>
> But, I may have missed something important.
I'm pretty sure that could be automated...
By inspecting the save button in MonticelloBrowser
(MCWorkingCopyBrowser) the command is saveVersion. Seeing this message,
I think you could try something like:

yourRepository storeVersion: (MCVersion package: yourMCPackage)

... but I'm not sure at all ;)

Otherwise, saving manually is not really a problem as anyway all changes
in the image are logged in the change file.

Hope that helps a bit ;)

Cédrick

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

stéphane ducasse-2
Dealing with images is different than files. With MC you can go back
at any point in time back and merge
if you happen to develop in different branches. You can also share
your work. Images are like a caches
so different.

Stef

On 28 août 06, at 11:16, Rich Warren wrote:

> I looked at monticello, as I understand it, I don't think it will
> be a big help (at least not that I'm now doing nightly backups of
> the image to my .mac account). My current setup is automated, and
> monticello would force me to manually commit changes, so it would
> actually be a step backwards.
>
> But, I may have missed something important.
>
> On another note, is there any way to control the amount of memory
> the VM is using? Particularly on the Mac?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich-
>
> On Aug 27, 2006, at 10:07 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> rich
>>
>> take 5 min to understand how to use monticello.
>> This is the best advice I can give you.
>> Have a look at my videos
>> http://www.univ-savoie.fr/Portail/Groupes/LISTIC/membres/
>> Stephane.Ducasse/Resources.html
>>  and the chapter explaining MC
>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-M1-OOP/
>> OOPAvance.pdf (in english)
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On 28 août 06, at 03:25, Rich Warren wrote:
>>
>>> I had to get rid of the image, but I was able to load the changes
>>> from the old image to the new image, so I didn't lose any code.
>>> (I'm not sure if I did it the best way, but it seems to have
>>> worked--was a bit of a pain, however). I'm also backing up my
>>> image nightly now to a remote server--so I hope there are no
>>> future problems.
>>>
>>> I was modifying the Balloon3D tutorial to make it print function
>>> classes (I will be using 30-dimension functions to test a ML
>>> implementation--but I wanted to print out the 2D versions to
>>> visually inspect the surfaces).
>>>
>>> It may have been a memory issue. Previously I had tried to create
>>> a 500 x 500 mesh, and bad things started to happen. That locked
>>> up the UI and command-period didn't save me. I force quit squeak
>>> and restarted, and everything seemed fine.
>>>
>>> I was then debugging the function class code. I don't remember
>>> exactly what I was doing, but I was in the debugger at the time.
>>> I started getting error messages, something about an "error when
>>> unwinding?" Anyway, the message kept popping up, and nothing I
>>> did would get rid of them. Then everything went black.
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice and support!
>>>
>>> -Rich-

Re: Recovering from a bad crash...

johnmci
With MC you can setup different package based on different work
components, then save every hour, day, week etc.
later you can go back and compare to where you where on july 24th..
etc.  So not only do you get the benefit of storing
things elsewhere for backup purposes, you then get to release
management and the ability to compare and contrast different versions of
your code.

For the mac vm.

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/squeakinfoplist.html

SqueakMaxHeapSize, set to size that is workable for your application,
likely a range of a couple of MB to under 2GB.

On 28-Aug-06, at 2:16 AM, Rich Warren wrote:

> I looked at monticello, as I understand it, I don't think it will
> be a big help (at least not that I'm now doing nightly backups of
> the image to my .mac account). My current setup is automated, and
> monticello would force me to manually commit changes, so it would
> actually be a step backwards.
>
> But, I may have missed something important.
>
> On another note, is there any way to control the amount of memory
> the VM is using? Particularly on the Mac?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich-
===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>