Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

HilaireFernandes
Hello,

I have a Moose 6.0 image with several Playgrounds.
Since this morning, exactly when I want to make a demo[1], it crashes
immediately. I remember yesterday I got an error when saving, Pharo said
something like 'This error should not happen'.

The OS windows open then close almost immediately (dump included). Could
it be related to Athens or FreeType plugin access? The image went about
113MB.
The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is there a
way to access it?

Thanks

Hilaire

[1] Hopefully I can demo with a fresh image of Moose

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

crash.dmp.zip (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

HilaireFernandes
Oh, and deleting the TRMorph at image start up does not work, because
Pharo doesn't reach the image level command line handler, it crashes before.
It looks to me related to FreeType, I may have text with different font
sizes.
I tried with larger value of --memory or --mmap but it does not help.

Hilaire

Le 30/07/2015 14:10, Hilaire a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have a Moose 6.0 image with several Playgrounds.
> Since this morning, exactly when I want to make a demo[1], it crashes
> immediately. I remember yesterday I got an error when saving, Pharo said
> something like 'This error should not happen'.
>
> The OS windows open then close almost immediately (dump included). Could
> it be related to Athens or FreeType plugin access? The image went about
> 113MB.
> The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
> I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is there a
> way to access it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] Hopefully I can demo with a fresh image of Moose

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu
http://google.com/+DrgeoEu

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

Vincent Blondeau
Hi,

I had the same issue under Windows 7.
The workaround is to rename /home/hilaire/Travaux/Speech/Taiwan2015/moose_suite_5_1/bin/libFT2Plugin.so in something else.

You will not have the fonts working anymore but your image will be working again.

See the bug related: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/15944/Image-crash-on-Pharo-due-to-fonts-on-W7

I hope that it will help you,

Vincent

Oh, and deleting the TRMorph at image start up does not work, because Pharo doesn't reach the image level command line handler, it crashes before.
It looks to me related to FreeType, I may have text with different font sizes.
I tried with larger value of --memory or --mmap but it does not help.

Hilaire

Le 30/07/2015 14:10, Hilaire a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have a Moose 6.0 image with several Playgrounds.
> Since this morning, exactly when I want to make a demo[1], it crashes
> immediately. I remember yesterday I got an error when saving, Pharo
> said something like 'This error should not happen'.
>
> The OS windows open then close almost immediately (dump included).
> Could it be related to Athens or FreeType plugin access? The image
> went about 113MB.
> The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
> I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is there
> a way to access it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] Hopefully I can demo with a fresh image of Moose

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu
http://google.com/+DrgeoEu

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

Nicolai Hess

Hello,

I have a Moose 6.0 image with several Playgrounds.
Since this morning, exactly when I want to make a demo[1], it crashes
immediately. I remember yesterday I got an error when saving, Pharo said
something like 'This error should not happen'.

The OS windows open then close almost immediately (dump included). Could
it be related to Athens or FreeType plugin access? The image went about
113MB.

Yes, looks like an error on FT access

The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is there a
way to access it?

Maybe you will found the scripts in your play-cache folder.

Le 30/07/2015 15:03, Vincent BLONDEAU a écrit :
> See the bug related: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/15944/Image-crash-on-Pharo-due-to-fonts-on-W7
Thanks, I added a crash dump there as it occures with windows as well.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Le 30/07/2015 15:13, Nicolai Hess a écrit :

> Yes, looks like an error on FT access

If I stick to Pharo4+Moose6, does this problem occur?

>     The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
>     http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
>     I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is
>     there a
>     way to access it?
>

> Maybe you will found the scripts in your play-cache folder.

Cool, I did not know about this feature!

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

Blondeau Vincent

But Moose 6 is based on Pharo5 so I will not be possible to have Pharo4 and Moose6...

        > >     The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
        > >     http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
        > >     I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is
        > >     there a
        > >     way to access it?
        > >
        > >
        > > Maybe you will found the scripts in your play-cache folder.
        >
        > Cool, I did not know about this feature!

Nice feature indeed!

Vincent

        > Thanks
        >
        > Hilaire
        >
        > --
        > Dr. Geo
        > http://drgeo.eu
        > http://google.com/+DrgeoEu

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Le 30/07/2015 15:51, Blondeau Vincent a écrit :
>         > If I stick to Pharo4+Moose6, does this problem occur?
>
> But Moose 6 is based on Pharo5 so I will not be possible to have Pharo4 and Moose6...
Ok. I will see what to do.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

Andrei Chis

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 30/07/2015 15:13, Nicolai Hess a écrit :

> Yes, looks like an error on FT access

If I stick to Pharo4+Moose6, does this problem occur?

>     The used VM works fine with a fresh Moose6.0 image. Btw, the
>     http://www.moosetechnology.org/ is down right now.
>     I would like to recover the script codes in the playgrounds, is
>     there a
>     way to access it?
>

> Maybe you will found the scripts in your play-cache folder.

Cool, I did not know about this feature!

All code that you type in the Playground is saved by default in a play-cache directory.
There is a file per playground.

If you then open spotter it will also search through all scripts. You can type #pl (from playground)
to only see the scripts.

In the playground if you double click on the Page tab you can give the script an explicit name.
Then the script will be saved in a play-stash directory. If you set the same directory for all your images
then you get manage your scripts globally.

Cheers,
Andrei

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Recoverying a crashed Moose image/Pharo5

stepharo
I know that there is a memory leak around playground and rubric. We will
have investigate it.
It is Pharo 50 but also in Pharo 40.

Stef