classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rectangle and Polygon classes' bugs?

Andreas Sunardi
Pharo 5.0

It seems like a bug to me, but perhaps I misunderstand something.

1) Comment in Rectangle class >> origin:corner: method shows 'origin' should be top left and 'corner' should be bottom right. This method calls Rectangle >> setPoint:point:. But this method calculates 'origin' to be bottom left corner and 'corner' to be top right. Now all the edge and corner methods are wrong.

r := Rectangle origin: 0@0 corner: 10@10.
r topLeft.  => (0@0)   "should be 0@10"
r bottomRight.  => (10@10)  "should be 10@0"
r top.  => 0  "should be 10"
r bottom.  => 10  " should be 0"

2) Why Polygon >> bounds (which is PathShape >> bounds) returns a rectangle with a corner 1 point larger than the actual boundary?

p1 := Polygon vertices: {0@0 . 0@10 . 10@10 . 10@0}.
p1 bounds.  => (0@0) corner: (11@11).  "should be 0@0 and 10@10"

This seems to be a fix to Rectangle >> containsPoint: strange behavior. By strange behavior, I mean:

r := Rectangle point: 0@0 point: 10@10.
r containsPoint: 0@0.  => true
r containsPoint: 10@10.  => false  "should be true"
{ r topLeft . r topRight . r bottomLeft . r bottomRight } allSatisfy [ :corner | r containsPoint: corner ].  => false  "should be true"

I want to fix this in my image, but Rectangle is used all over the place and I'm worry I'll break a lot of things. I wonder if I just misunderstood how these are supposed to be used. Can anybody help me understand if this is intentional or a bug?

PS: I looked at RectangleTest and I'm not sure I understand why they are testing what they are testing.

--
Andreas Sunardi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rectangle and Polygon classes' bugs?

Ben Coman

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pharo 5.0

1) Comment in Rectangle class >> origin:corner: method shows 'origin' should be top left and 'corner' should be bottom right. This method calls Rectangle >> setPoint:point:. But this method calculates 'origin' to be bottom left corner and 'corner' to be top right. Now all the edge and corner methods are wrong.

Would this depend on where you consider 0@0 to be on the screen?
  (em := EllipseMorph new) openInWorld. 
  em bounds "==> (0@0) corner: (50@40)"

2) Why Polygon >> bounds (which is PathShape >> bounds) returns a rectangle with a corner 1 point larger than the actual boundary?

This seems to be a fix to Rectangle >> containsPoint: strange behavior. By strange behavior, I mean:

{ r topLeft . r topRight . r bottomLeft . r bottomRight } allSatisfy [ :corner | r containsPoint: corner ].  => false  "should be true"

I want to fix this in my image, but Rectangle is used all over the place and I'm worry I'll break a lot of things. I wonder if I just misunderstood how these are supposed to be used. Can anybody help me understand if this is intentional or a bug?

Sorry, I don't know about this.  
cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rectangle and Polygon classes' bugs?

Andreas Sunardi
Ah, I see, so Rectangle is in the context of display geometry not Cartesian coordinate (I don't know if I'm using the right words here, but I hope you get what I mean). You're right, the package is 'Graphics-Shapes'. For some reason, I thought it said 'Geometry'

I'm building something for layout geometry and these would be the wrong classes to use then. Question #2 would be a moot point.

Thanks for the answer. You've saved me from going to the wrong path.

--
Andreas Sunardi

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pharo 5.0

Would this depend on where you consider 0@0 to be on the screen?
  (em := EllipseMorph new) openInWorld. 
  em bounds "==> (0@0) corner: (50@40)"

Sorry, I don't know about this.  
cheers -ben