Rectangle packing layout

Uko2
Hi everyone!

You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:

You can load it into your image with:
Gofer new
  smalltalkhubUser: 'YuriyTymchuk' project: 'RecPack-Layout';
  package: 'RecPack-Layout';
  load.

and you can see a couple of examples in Roassal easel.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
Uko

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Nicolas Anquetil

very nice :-)

Didn't Mathieu Dehouck develop a similar layout this summer ?

nicolas

On 10/15/2013 06:09 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk wrote:
Hi everyone!

You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:

You can load it into your image with:
Gofer new
  smalltalkhubUser: 'YuriyTymchuk' project: 'RecPack-Layout';
  package: 'RecPack-Layout';
  load.

and you can see a couple of examples in Roassal easel.

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!
Uko

Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Uko2

On Oct 15, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

very nice :-)
Thank you.

Didn't Mathieu Dehouck develop a similar layout this summer ?
I went through roassal layouts and didn't find anything.
It's nil until you ship it.

uko

nicolas

On 10/15/2013 06:09 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk wrote:
Hi everyone!

You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:
<Mail Attachment.png>

roberto.minelli@usi.ch
> It's nil until you ship it.
+1 :)

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Tudor Girba-2
+1.

Thanks, Yuriy. Nice to see you having a good start in Lugano :)

Doru

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's nil until you ship it.
+1 :)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Rectangle packing layout

abergel
Truely gorgeous.

sequentialRectangles is also a nice example. Here is the result

What is your plan with your layout? I will be happy to include it in the main release of Roassal.

Just one comment about the code:
You may want to comment #padding:. This is a configuration method that deserves to be commented.

Excellent job!
Alexandre

On Oct 15, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone!

You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:
<Screenshot 2013-10-15 17.50.18.png>

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

abergel
It is a bit different actually.

Consider the script:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
view shape rectangle
width: #numberOfMethods;
height: [ :cls | cls numberOfVariables * 7 ].
view nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
view layout: (RORectanglePackLayout new padding: 4).
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It gives:

With no padding
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
view shape rectangle
width: #numberOfMethods;
height: [ :cls | cls numberOfVariables * 7 ].
view nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
view layout: (RORectanglePackLayout new).
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

With Mathieu layout we have:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
view shape rectangle
width: #numberOfMethods;
height: [ :cls | cls numberOfVariables * 7 ].
view nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
view layout: (RORectanglePackLayout new).
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Results are quite different

Alexandre

On Oct 15, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Also, I have seen that testLayoutEvent goes red. Can you check it please?

Alexandre

On Oct 15, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:
> <Screenshot 2013-10-15 17.50.18.png>
>
> You can load it into your image with:
> Gofer new
>   smalltalkhubUser: 'YuriyTymchuk' project: 'RecPack-Layout';
>   package: 'RecPack-Layout';
>   load.
>
> and you can see a couple of examples in Roassal easel.
>
> Feedback is appreciated.
>
> Cheers!
> Uko

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Uko2
Sure, I will check it and add comments. Thanks for interest.

uko

On Oct 16, 2013, at 1:46 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, I have seen that testLayoutEvent goes red. Can you check it please?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> You know, some times you have a pile of different rectangles representing some entities. And you want to show them to someone so that he can take a look at them to assess something. But there is always a question how do you arrange this rectangles? Usually it's not practical to place them in a line or in a circle because it takes too much space. I've developed a layout that tries to pack rectangles in a compact space, and here is how it looks like:
>> <Screenshot 2013-10-15 17.50.18.png>
>>
>> You can load it into your image with:
>> Gofer new
>>  smalltalkhubUser: 'YuriyTymchuk' project: 'RecPack-Layout';
>>  package: 'RecPack-Layout';
>>  load.
>>
>> and you can see a couple of examples in Roassal easel.
>>
>> Feedback is appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Uko

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Uko2
Hi.

I've added a comment for a padding. Tests fail because of RORectanglePackDebuggingLayout. This is a subclass that I've used for debugging, and you should not include it in Roassal I think.

Also while adding comments I've found that there was a little bug in heuristics and now it packs pentangles really tight.

[...]

MathieuDehouck
Hi

When I saw the title I though : Nice someone using my code !

Well...

I guess my rectanglePackingLayout has been added to Roassal on the last
commit yesterday.

Anyway, that means that there is a real need for such a layout.

Good job.

Regards

Mathieu

On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:43 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I saw the title I though : Nice someone using my code !
>
> Well...
>
> I guess my rectanglePackingLayout has been added to Roassal on the last commit yesterday.
Then means that we've done this more or less simultaneously. From the comment that Nicolas wrote I thought that it was developed long time ago, but not included.

> Anyway, that means that there is a real need for such a layout.
Yes, it's useful to pack your stuff :)

> Good job.
Same for you

Cheers
Uko

> Regards
>
> Mathieu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

abergel
> I guess my rectanglePackingLayout has been added to Roassal on the last commit yesterday.

Yes, it took me some time, but it is in now.

Alexandre

> Anyway, that means that there is a real need for such a layout.
>
> Good job.
>
> Regards
>
> Mathieu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

abergel
Uko, can I advertise (facebook, twitter) some renderings using your layout?

Alexandre

On Oct 16, 2013, at 7:52 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:43 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> When I saw the title I though : Nice someone using my code !
>>
>> Well...
>>
>> I guess my rectanglePackingLayout has been added to Roassal on the last commit yesterday.
> Then means that we've done this more or less simultaneously. From the comment that Nicolas wrote I thought that it was developed long time ago, but not included.
>

>> Anyway, that means that there is a real need for such a layout.
> Yes, it's useful to pack your stuff :)
>

>> Good job.
> Same for you
>
> Cheers
> Uko
>

>> Regards
>>
>> Mathieu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

Uko2
Sure. It's MIT, and I really like to share my work. And also it will be a pleasure for me to see my things somewhere online :)

Cheers
Uko

Надіслано з iPhone

16 жовт. 2013 о 17:20 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> написав(ла):

> Uko, can I advertise (facebook, twitter) some renderings using your layout?
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Oct 16, 2013, at 7:52 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:43 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> When I saw the title I though : Nice someone using my code !
>>>
>>> Well...
>>>
>>> I guess my rectanglePackingLayout has been added to Roassal on the last commit yesterday.
>> Then means that we've done this more or less simultaneously. From the comment that Nicolas wrote I thought that it was developed long time ago, but not included.
>>

>>> Anyway, that means that there is a real need for such a layout.
>> Yes, it's useful to pack your stuff :)
>>

>>> Good job.
>> Same for you
>>
>> Cheers
>> Uko
>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Mathieu

Re: Rectangle packing layout

abergel
> Sure. It's MIT, and I really like to share my work. And also it will be a pleasure for me to see my things somewhere online :)

Be sure that they will. It is just splendid

Alexandre

cbc

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure. It's MIT, and I really like to share my work. And also it will be a pleasure for me to see my things somewhere online :)

Be sure that they will. It is just splendid
Yes it is!