Redirect compiler warnings to file

Simon Denier-3
Hi

When loading large chunks of code (like Moose), some warnings appear in the Transcript. The problem is the Transcript has a limited size and that with all information dumped into, the first one get lost before we can take a look at them.

Does anyone know a way to capture/redirect the Transcript output to a file, or the output from Compiler (maybe using the requestor parameter?)

--
 Simon

Re: [Moose-dev] Redirect compiler warnings to file

Nicolás Paez
Up to what I saw, the class the writes to the Transcript is : UndeclaredVariableWarning>>defaultAction.
But it is possible some other classes do the same.

Saludos!
Nico.
blog: nicopaez.wordpress.com

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

When loading large chunks of code (like Moose), some warnings appear in the Transcript. The problem is the Transcript has a limited size and that with all information dumped into, the first one get lost before we can take a look at them.

Does anyone know a way to capture/redirect the Transcript output to a file, or the output from Compiler (maybe using the requestor parameter?)

--
 Simon

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

Simon Denier-3

On 5 sept. 2010, at 20:55, Nicolás Paez wrote:

Up to what I saw, the class the writes to the Transcript is : UndeclaredVariableWarning>>defaultAction.
But it is possible some other classes do the same.

Indeed, that's one way it works. It seems like Encoder typically generates this kind of message (Undeclared and shadowed variable) in a few places.

Saludos!
Nico.
blog: nicopaez.wordpress.com

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

When loading large chunks of code (like Moose), some warnings appear in the Transcript. The problem is the Transcript has a limited size and that with all information dumped into, the first one get lost before we can take a look at them.

Does anyone know a way to capture/redirect the Transcript output to a file, or the output from Compiler (maybe using the requestor parameter?)

--
 Simon

 Simon

Re: [Moose-dev] Redirect compiler warnings to file

This is why I would like to have a real log infrastructure in place because Transcript
does not really scale.

Stef

On Sep 5, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> Hi
>
> When loading large chunks of code (like Moose), some warnings appear in the Transcript. The problem is the Transcript has a limited size and that with all information dumped into, the first one get lost before we can take a look at them.
>
> Does anyone know a way to capture/redirect the Transcript output to a file, or the output from Compiler (maybe using the requestor parameter?)
>
> --
> Simon

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

I hope that Opal will pay attention to such a point.

Stef
>> Indeed, that's one way it works. It seems like Encoder typically generates this kind of message (Undeclared and shadowed variable) in a few places.

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 05.09.2010 21:26, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> I hope that Opal will pay attention to such a point.

And an easy way to redirect to sdtout or stderr would help for things
like Hudson.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes!

Stef

On Sep 5, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 05.09.2010 21:26, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> I hope that Opal will pay attention to such a point.
>
> And an easy way to redirect to sdtout or stderr would help for things
> like Hudson.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

Tim Mackinnon
Philippe Marschall wrote:

> And an easy way to redirect to sdtout or stderr would help for things
> like Hudson.

I found that in Dolphin when I was running with Cruise Control, that I
installed a subclassed Transcript that logged both to the screen and to
a file.

I wonder if that might be an easy fix for Pharo?

Tim

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Redirect compiler warnings to file

Stéphane Ducasse
probably note.
And this si not surprising a ssystem without systematic engineering over 10 years cannot compete with one that got it.
We will fix that but this will take some time and effort

Stef