Redistributable Runtime Files

Klaus Breker
Hi,

the redistributable runtime files on http://www.instantiations.com/docs/redist/RedistributableRuntimeFiles.htm refers still to VASmalltalk 8.0. Is this ok if I replace all *80* files with *85* or are there any changes between VASmalltalk 8.0* and 8.5?
The same with http://www.instantiations.com/docs/redist/RedistributableApps.htm

Regards

Klaus

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Solveig
Hello, Klaus,

you do need the pay files for version 8.5. in order to remove the trial dialog screen when you launch your 8.5  image. I have updated both files.

Solveig

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Klaus Breker
Hello Solveig,

I have the pay files for 8.5 and put them into the bin directory. The trial dialog is not the problem. What I want to know, is how the description here -> http://www.instantiations.com/docs/redist/RedistributableRuntimeFiles.htm fits to version 8.5, because an this page only files for version 8.0 appear.

For the correct runtime packaging, I need to know, which diistributable runtime files are actual for version 8.5.

The webpage, mentioned above, is not up to date.

Klaus

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Solveig
Hello Klaus,

I thought you were referring to the pay files as being out of date.
They were, but I updated them. Many of the redistributable files do
not bear the version number of the product as part of their name. What
platform are you using? What specifically have you found to be out of
date?

Regards,
Solveig

On Dec 2, 4:08 am, Klaus Breker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Solveig,
>
> I have the pay files for 8.5 and put them into the bin directory. The trial
> dialog is not the problem. What I want to know, is how the description here
> ->http://www.instantiations.com/docs/redist/RedistributableRuntimeFiles...to version 8.5, because an this page only files for version 8.0
> appear.
>
> For the correct runtime packaging, I need to know, which diistributable
> runtime files are actual for version 8.5.
>
> The webpage, mentioned above, is not up to date.
>
> Klaus

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Klaus Breker
Hi Solveig,

we transfered our application from VA Smalltalk 8.02 to version 8.5. The above mentioned webpage of Instantiations is a list of the files (dll, cat etc) which are needed for runtime. This list is for VA Smalltalk 8.0. This page isn't actual. We only need the information for version 8.5. That's all :), because there may be some files, which are added or obsolet or whatever. There is no question about the payfiles or the virtual machine (esvm40).

It's no fun to rool out our application again, if we'll forgot any files. We need the official information of Instantiations of the redistributable Files.

We are using Windows as development and distribution platform.

Kind regards

Klaus

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Klaus Breker
Hi,

the webpages for the redistributable runtime fiels and applications are now updated for VA Smalltalk 8.5 :-) Thanks

Klaus

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

Marten Feldtmann-2
I do not like those lists - they are potential sources of failures. The packager should do the work and give errors while packaging.

As an example: I would assume, that one is allowed to deliver the new LoggingFramework, but all EsLoggingApps* are not listed ...

Re: Redistributable Runtime Files

John O'Keefe-3
Marten -

We don't like the lists either, but we need them for licensing purposes.
  • Required Runtime Files is fairly easy to maintain since usually the only change to the list is changing the version number on those files that are sensitive to version numbers.
  • Redistributable Runtime Apps is a major PITA.  As a first step to easing the burden on us and our customers, we are investigating changing the list to Redistributable Runtime Maps (reduces the volume by about 80%).
Regarding your suggestion of making the apps and the packager a bit more intelligent, I think this could be done, and it would probably be a good thing to do. Of course, since we use the packager to build the development images that you use, any diagnostics would need to be at the warning, not the error, level. I've opened case 49078 so this suggestion doesn't get lost.

John