Reef status

fvozzi
Hi,
someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to Pharo 3?

Is it working on Pharo 2 ?

Thanks,

p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban instructions.

Hello and a question

rkitts
Hello. I’m futzing about with Pharo3 and figured I might as well try to fix some (easy) bugs that are listed in the issue tracker as a way of playing productively. In particular I’m looking at 13215 which led, circuitously, to me reading the ANSI Smalltalk draft (v 1.9 I believe).

I was wondering if the ANSI draft is at all useful or considered? It appears the existing impl of Duration doesn’t adhere to the draft entirely well and, well, I was just going to (try to) make it be that way, more or less. Is that reasonable?

And, while I have you all here, would it have been more appropriate for me to ask this question in the issue tracker instead of here?

TIA for any input,
—Rick

Re: Hello and a question

abergel
Hi Rick!

Welcome to Pharo!
I think that most of us understand the value of being able to make run on Pharo an application written in ANSI Smalltalk. However, I believe that making Pharo ANSI compliant is not a priority at all.
  Instead, the highest priority for Pharo that many of us are working hard on is making Pharo suitable for business applications.

Alexandre

Le 14-05-2014 à 21:17, Rick Kitts <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello. I’m futzing about with Pharo3 and figured I might as well try to fix some (easy) bugs that are listed in the issue tracker as a way of playing productively. In particular I’m looking at 13215 which led, circuitously, to me reading the ANSI Smalltalk draft (v 1.9 I believe).

I was wondering if the ANSI draft is at all useful or considered? It appears the existing impl of Duration doesn’t adhere to the draft entirely well and, well, I was just going to (try to) make it be that way, more or less. Is that reasonable?

And, while I have you all here, would it have been more appropriate for me to ask this question in the issue tracker instead of here?

TIA for any input,
—Rick

Re: Reef status

stepharo
It would so great!
Esteban is too busy but yes yes yes.
We have a draft of a chapter but I do not enough knowledge to be efficient

On 15/5/14 01:25, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Hi,
> someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to
> Pharo 3?
>
> Is it working on Pharo 2 ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban
> instructions.

Re: Hello and a question

stepharo
Hi rick

ANSI is old and can be used with "some salt"
Now what I suggest is
    - send a clear mail not forcing people to go to the bug trackers
    - probably with some tracks of solution
    - make sure that we have a nice discussion
    - so that get a conclusion and we can take action.

Stef

On 15/5/14 03:17, Rick Kitts wrote:
Hello. I’m futzing about with Pharo3 and figured I might as well try to fix some (easy) bugs that are listed in the issue tracker as a way of playing productively. In particular I’m looking at 13215 which led, circuitously, to me reading the ANSI Smalltalk draft (v 1.9 I believe).

I was wondering if the ANSI draft is at all useful or considered? It appears the existing impl of Duration doesn’t adhere to the draft entirely well and, well, I was just going to (try to) make it be that way, more or less. Is that reasonable?

And, while I have you all here, would it have been more appropriate for me to ask this question in the issue tracker instead of here?

TIA for any input,
—Rick

Re: Reef status

EstebanLM

Reef works out of the box in Pharo3.
What does not work is the configuration (I need to update it) :P

Real thing is that I was migrating (and simplifying) everything to work with bootstrap "out of the box” and I made (as always) just what I needed. But I’m willing to help and to spend some time on it.
So, first… I updated the configuration. This should work now:

Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
        configuration;
        loadDevelopment.

And any question you have… I’m happy to help.

cheers,
Esteban

On 15 May 2014, at 10:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reef works out of the box in Pharo3.
> What does not work is the configuration (I need to update it) :P
>
> Real thing is that I was migrating (and simplifying) everything to work with bootstrap "out of the box” and I made (as always) just what I needed. But I’m willing to help and to spend some time on it.
> So, first… I updated the configuration. This should work now:
>
> Gofer it
> smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
> configuration;
> loadDevelopment.

ah, but you need to have seaside loaded first. Reef just loads “seaside core”, which means not all packages you might need (like the zinc adaptor) will be present.

Esteban

> And any question you have… I’m happy to help.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 15 May 2014, at 08:46, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would so great!
>> Esteban is too busy but yes yes yes.
>> We have a draft of a chapter but I do not enough knowledge to be efficient
>>
>> On 15/5/14 01:25, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to Pharo 3?
>>>
>>> Is it working on Pharo 2 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban instructions.

Re: Reef status

fvozzi
Yes, not problem. I have seaside, magritte and folks on my image.

I'll let you know if I have problems.

Thanks,

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 15 May 2014, at 10:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reef works out of the box in Pharo3.
> What does not work is the configuration (I need to update it) :P
>
> Real thing is that I was migrating (and simplifying) everything to work with bootstrap "out of the box” and I made (as always) just what I needed. But I’m willing to help and to spend some time on it.
> So, first… I updated the configuration. This should work now:
>
> Gofer it
>       smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
>       configuration;
>       loadDevelopment.

ah, but you need to have seaside loaded first. Reef just loads “seaside core”, which means not all packages you might need (like the zinc adaptor) will be present.

Esteban

> And any question you have… I’m happy to help.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 15 May 2014, at 08:46, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would so great!
>> Esteban is too busy but yes yes yes.
>> We have a draft of a chapter but I do not enough knowledge to be efficient
>>
>> On 15/5/14 01:25, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to Pharo 3?
>>>
>>> Is it working on Pharo 2 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban instructions.

Re: Reef status

fvozzi
Esteban,
I'm getting this error on Pharo3 (see attach). Seaside and Magritte are loaded and working fine.

I just try to load it using your instructions. I haven't time to debug right now but I'm going to try it again later.

Thanks,
FV

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, not problem. I have seaside, magritte and folks on my image.

I'll let you know if I have problems.

Thanks,

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 15 May 2014, at 10:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reef works out of the box in Pharo3.
> What does not work is the configuration (I need to update it) :P
>
> Real thing is that I was migrating (and simplifying) everything to work with bootstrap "out of the box” and I made (as always) just what I needed. But I’m willing to help and to spend some time on it.
> So, first… I updated the configuration. This should work now:
>
> Gofer it
>       smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
>       configuration;
>       loadDevelopment.

ah, but you need to have seaside loaded first. Reef just loads “seaside core”, which means not all packages you might need (like the zinc adaptor) will be present.

Esteban

> And any question you have… I’m happy to help.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 15 May 2014, at 08:46, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would so great!
>> Esteban is too busy but yes yes yes.
>> We have a draft of a chapter but I do not enough knowledge to be efficient
>>
>> On 15/5/14 01:25, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to Pharo 3?
>>>
>>> Is it working on Pharo 2 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban instructions.

Reef.png (95K) Download Attachment

Re: Reef status

EstebanLM
Hi,

For some reason, #loadDevelopment is not loading the right development version.
Please try this way:

Gofer it
smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
configuration;
load.
ConfigurationOfReef loadDevelopment.

cheers,
Esteban

On 20 May 2014, at 02:32, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban,
I'm getting this error on Pharo3 (see attach). Seaside and Magritte are loaded and working fine.

I just try to load it using your instructions. I haven't time to debug right now but I'm going to try it again later.

Thanks,
FV

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, not problem. I have seaside, magritte and folks on my image.

I'll let you know if I have problems.

Thanks,

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 15 May 2014, at 10:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reef works out of the box in Pharo3.
> What does not work is the configuration (I need to update it) :P
>
> Real thing is that I was migrating (and simplifying) everything to work with bootstrap "out of the box” and I made (as always) just what I needed. But I’m willing to help and to spend some time on it.
> So, first… I updated the configuration. This should work now:
>
> Gofer it
>       smalltalkhubUser: 'estebanlm' project: 'Reef';
>       configuration;
>       loadDevelopment.

ah, but you need to have seaside loaded first. Reef just loads “seaside core”, which means not all packages you might need (like the zinc adaptor) will be present.

Esteban

> And any question you have… I’m happy to help.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 15 May 2014, at 08:46, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would so great!
>> Esteban is too busy but yes yes yes.
>> We have a draft of a chapter but I do not enough knowledge to be efficient
>>
>> On 15/5/14 01:25, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> someone is working with Reef and is someone planning to migrate to Pharo 3?
>>>
>>> Is it working on Pharo 2 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> p.s.: if nobody is migrating it maybe I can try it with Esteban instructions.

<Reef.png>