Refactor, LaggeredTree

MathieuDehouck

Hi

I've made kind a big refactoring in Roassal-Algorithm, as I've learnt that ROContainer's attributes was there for any kind of use, now the CompactTree family uses it, there are new methods for ROElement in the package, but no more need of ROCompactTreeNode (former RONode).

In the same time, I've written tests to be sure that the code still works (in fact it's the aim of tests I think).

So now, there ain't crossing any more, in LaggeredTree.

Tell me what kind of new layout you wish to see in Roassal, maybe you can have a look at D3 library.

Or maybe I will start looking at how to increase roassal scalability.

Just tell

Regards

Mathieu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

abergel
Hi!

Thanks!!
treeSetUp has a "self halt",

I also see that your package Roassal-Algorithm contains a class RORadialTreeLayout_N. I have included this class some times ago and renamed it as RORadialTreeLayout. Apparently RORadialTreeLayout_N and RORadialTreeLayout are still the same. If you want to update you RORadialTreeLayout_N, no problem, but I have slightly improved your code.

Let me know when you feel your code is ready. I have tried your example and I like it very much. It should be part of Roassal.

Alexandre

On May 6, 2013, at 7:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've made kind a big refactoring in Roassal-Algorithm, as I've learnt that ROContainer's attributes was there for any kind of use, now the CompactTree family uses it, there are new methods for ROElement in the package, but no more need of ROCompactTreeNode (former RONode).
>
> In the same time, I've written tests to be sure that the code still works (in fact it's the aim of tests I think).
>
> So now, there ain't crossing any more, in LaggeredTree.
>

> Tell me what kind of new layout you wish to see in Roassal, maybe you can have a look at D3 library.
>
> Or maybe I will start looking at how to increase roassal scalability.
>
> Just tell
>

> Regards
>
> Mathieu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

Ben Coman
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've made kind a big refactoring in Roassal-Algorithm, as I've
> learnt that ROContainer's attributes was there for any kind of use, now
> the CompactTree family uses it, there are new methods for ROElement in
> the package, but no more need of ROCompactTreeNode (former RONode).
>
> In
> the same time, I've written tests to be sure that the code still works
> (in fact it's the aim of tests I think).
>
> So now, there ain't crossing
> any more, in LaggeredTree.
>
> Tell me what kind of new layout you wish to
> see in Roassal, maybe you can have a look at D3 library.

Very impressive library.  A lot to live up to.  As a bystander, here are
a few that I liked:
http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111116/force-collapsible.html
http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4063550
http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111018/cluster.html

cheers -ben

On May 6, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I've made kind a big refactoring in Roassal-Algorithm, as I've
>> learnt that ROContainer's attributes was there for any kind of use, now
>> the CompactTree family uses it, there are new methods for ROElement in
>> the package, but no more need of ROCompactTreeNode (former RONode).
>> In
>> the same time, I've written tests to be sure that the code still works
>> (in fact it's the aim of tests I think).
>> So now, there ain't crossing
>> any more, in LaggeredTree.
>> Tell me what kind of new layout you wish to
>> see in Roassal, maybe you can have a look at D3 library.
>
> Very impressive library.  A lot to live up to.  As a bystander, here are a few that I liked:
> http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111116/force-collapsible.html

this one shows that roassal can be stil optimized.

> http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4063550
mathieu worked on that one.

> http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111018/cluster.html
this one is interesting.

I think that having more variation in trees would be good.
And the sugiyama algorithm too to minimize crossing.

stef

> cheers -ben
>
>> Or maybe I
>> will start looking at how to increase roassal scalability.
>> Just tell
>>

>> Regards
>> Mathieu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

abergel
>> Very impressive library.  A lot to live up to.  As a bystander, here are a few that I liked:
>> http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111116/force-collapsible.html
>
> this one shows that roassal can be stil optimized.

Mathieu, your algorithm is the same than this one?

>> http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4063550
> mathieu worked on that one.
>
>> http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111018/cluster.html
> this one is interesting.

Yes. Although I would not focus on rotating the text. Roassal gives more interaction mechanism than D3 (from what I can see in the demo). Getting sexy way to get the name of nodes is not complex.

> I think that having more variation in trees would be good.
> And the sugiyama algorithm too to minimize crossing.

Roassal has the Sugiyama algorithm.

Alexandre

> stef
>

>> cheers -ben
>>
>>> Or maybe I
>>> will start looking at how to increase roassal scalability.
>>> Just tell
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Mathieu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

MathieuDehouck

Yes, it's the same algorithm that I translated.

And the RadialTreeLayout_N has changed a bit, or example it does not use "aNode element" but simply "aNode", and other changes that makes ROCompactTreeNode no longer useful.

Well, I will see at the cluster layout, it must not be very complicated.

Regards

Mathieu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

abergel
Ok, excellent piece of work in any case!

Alexandre

On May 7, 2013, at 4:13 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Yes, it's the same algorithm that I translated.
>
> And the RadialTreeLayout_N has changed a bit, or example it does not use "aNode element" but simply "aNode", and other changes that makes ROCompactTreeNode no longer useful.
>

> Well, I will see at the cluster layout, it must not be very complicated.
>

> Regards
>
> Mathieu

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

stephane ducasse
>>> http://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111018/cluster.html
>> this one is interesting.
>
> Yes. Although I would not focus on rotating the text.

Why because with athens now we can do it for real.

> Roassal gives more interaction mechanism than D3 (from what I can see in the demo). Getting sexy way to get the name of nodes is not complex.

Yes because they did not think about it yet.
And I hope that they will not.

My point is that we have resources now so let us them because in 2 years from now I have no idea how the situation will be

>> I think that having more variation in trees would be good.
>> And the sugiyama algorithm too to minimize crossing.
>
> Roassal has the Sugiyama algorithm.
>
> Alexandre
>

>> stef
>>

>>> cheers -ben

Re: Refactor, LaggeredTree

abergel
>> Yes. Although I would not focus on rotating the text.
>
> Why because with athens now we can do it for real.

Because you first need matrixes, then you need a dedicated shape to rotate text.

>> Roassal gives more interaction mechanism than D3 (from what I can see in the demo). Getting sexy way to get the name of nodes is not complex.
>
> Yes because they did not think about it yet.
> And I hope that they will not.
>
> My point is that we have resources now so let us them because in 2 years from now I have no idea how the situation will be

Yes!

Alexandre