Refactor source method is grayed out?

Tim Mackinnon
I was having a look at some of the ecompletion code - and noticed that
I couldn't do an extract to temporary refactoring because the refactor
source method is grayed out?

This looks like a bug - and I'm happy to report it - but just wanted
to check with people here.

The code fragment in question is:

(opposite = aCharacter and: [ (editor text at: editor startIndex
ifAbsent: [ nil ]) = aCharacter ]) ifTrue: [
                editor selectFrom: editor startIndex + 1 to: editor startIndex.
                self invalidateEditorMorph.
                ^ true ].

If I hilite the expresion (editor.... nil]) inside the and: block its
grayed out?  I should be able to extract a temp for that code
shouldn't I?

If I hilite from (opposite.....aCharacter]) then I can access the
extract.

So I think this is a bug?

Tim

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Lukas Renggli
On 2 August 2010 15:13, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was having a look at some of the ecompletion code - and noticed that I
> couldn't do an extract to temporary refactoring because the refactor source
> method is grayed out?
>
> This looks like a bug - and I'm happy to report it - but just wanted to
> check with people here.
>
> The code fragment in question is:
>
> (opposite = aCharacter and: [ (editor text at: editor startIndex ifAbsent: [
> nil ]) = aCharacter ]) ifTrue: [
>                editor selectFrom: editor startIndex + 1 to: editor
> startIndex.
>                self invalidateEditorMorph.
>                ^ true ].
>
> If I hilite the expresion (editor.... nil]) inside the and: block its grayed
> out?  I should be able to extract a temp for that code shouldn't I?

No, that's not a bug. For obvious reasons you cannot extract
expressions with a return inside.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Tim Mackinnon
Lukas, that doesn't seem right, as I had to do it manually and it
seems to work fine in my code (maybe it wasn't clear what  was trying
to extract)?

- e.g.

nextEditorCharacter := (editor text at: editor startIndex ifAbsent:
[nil ]).
(opposite = aCharacter and: [ nextEditorCharacer = aCharacter ])
ifTrue: [....

I should have been able to select the expression 'editor text at:
editor startIndex ifAbsent: [nil ])' and use the extract temporary
menu item to get the above.

In fact, it looks like if you select it from right to left then
sometimes it un-disables that source menu item (but not always)? Or if
I select it left to right as well as the space at the end of the
expression?

Something seems amiss somewhere.

Tim

On 2 Aug 2010, at 14:34, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On 2 August 2010 15:13, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was having a look at some of the ecompletion code - and noticed
>> that I
>> couldn't do an extract to temporary refactoring because the
>> refactor source
>> method is grayed out?
>>
>> This looks like a bug - and I'm happy to report it - but just
>> wanted to
>> check with people here.
>>
>> The code fragment in question is:
>>
>> (opposite = aCharacter and: [ (editor text at: editor startIndex
>> ifAbsent: [
>> nil ]) = aCharacter ]) ifTrue: [
>>               editor selectFrom: editor startIndex + 1 to: editor
>> startIndex.
>>               self invalidateEditorMorph.
>>               ^ true ].
>>
>> If I hilite the expresion (editor.... nil]) inside the and: block
>> its grayed
>> out?  I should be able to extract a temp for that code shouldn't I?
>
> No, that's not a bug. For obvious reasons you cannot extract
> expressions with a return inside.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas, that doesn't seem right, as I had to do it manually and it seems to
> work fine in my code (maybe it wasn't clear what  was trying to extract)?

Sorry, I misread your mail. I thought you talked about 'extract to
method', not 'extract to temporary'.

> nextEditorCharacter := (editor text at: editor startIndex ifAbsent: [nil ]).
> (opposite = aCharacter and: [ nextEditorCharacer = aCharacter ]) ifTrue:
> [....
>
> I should have been able to select the expression 'editor text at: editor
> startIndex ifAbsent: [nil ])' and use the extract temporary menu item to get
> the above.
>
> In fact, it looks like if you select it from right to left then sometimes it
> un-disables that source menu item (but not always)? Or if I select it left
> to right as well as the space at the end of the expression?

I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Tim Mackinnon
Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky,
I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).

Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and
help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly
integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive
better UI tools).

Tim

> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Lukas Renggli
I played a bit with the selection an the enabling of the menus this
morning, however I found it quite confusing if the closest matching
expression is automatically picked.

I could not reproduce the issue you report with the spaces. In my
image when I select a full expression whitespaces at start and end do
not matter.

Lukas

On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky, I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).
>
> Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive better UI tools).
>
> Tim
>

> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Tim Mackinnon
Lucas, which image are you using - and I will load it up and try again
(I am using the seaside 3.0rc image - although I did unload
oCompletion from it and then load eCompletion - maybe that makes a
difference?). I appreciate your patience on this by the way - often
I'm not sure which things are supposed to work (or work differently
from how I expect).

Tim

On 3 Aug 2010, at 11:24, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I played a bit with the selection an the enabling of the menus this
> morning, however I found it quite confusing if the closest matching
> expression is automatically picked.
>
> I could not reproduce the issue you report with the spaces. In my
> image when I select a full expression whitespaces at start and end do
> not matter.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky,
>> I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).
>>
>> Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and
>> help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly
>> integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive
>> better UI tools).
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
>> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
>> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Lukas Renggli
I am using the images from hudson.lukas-renggli.ch. I don't know how
oCompletion depends/overrides on eCompletion, so indeed it might make
a difference.

Lukas

On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lucas, which image are you using - and I will load it up and try again (I am using the seaside 3.0rc image - although I did unload oCompletion from it and then load eCompletion - maybe that makes a difference?). I appreciate your patience on this by the way - often I'm not sure which things are supposed to work (or work differently from how I expect).
>
> Tim
>
> On 3 Aug 2010, at 11:24, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>

> I played a bit with the selection an the enabling of the menus this
> morning, however I found it quite confusing if the closest matching
> expression is automatically picked.
>
> I could not reproduce the issue you report with the spaces. In my
> image when I select a full expression whitespaces at start and end do
> not matter.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky, I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).
>
> Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive better UI tools).
>
> Tim
>

> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

OCompletion forked the code from ECompletion and it now builds on it.
I think the reason for this fork was that at the time when Romain
started there was nobody really maintaining ECompletion.

But, it would be great to have just one completion mechanism. I highly
suggest to take a look at the new OCompletion: now it is fast and in
most situations it provides significantly better suggestions than
ECompletion. What's more the ECompletion-based suggestions are also
available in a reasonable manner.

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 Aug 2010, at 13:23, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I am using the images from hudson.lukas-renggli.ch. I don't know how
> oCompletion depends/overrides on eCompletion, so indeed it might make
> a difference.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Lucas, which image are you using - and I will load it up and try
>> again (I am using the seaside 3.0rc image - although I did unload
>> oCompletion from it and then load eCompletion - maybe that makes a
>> difference?). I appreciate your patience on this by the way - often
>> I'm not sure which things are supposed to work (or work differently
>> from how I expect).
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On 3 Aug 2010, at 11:24, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>

>> I played a bit with the selection an the enabling of the menus this
>> morning, however I found it quite confusing if the closest matching
>> expression is automatically picked.
>>
>> I could not reproduce the issue you report with the spaces. In my
>> image when I select a full expression whitespaces at start and end do
>> not matter.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky,
>> I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).
>>
>> Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and
>> help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly
>> integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive
>> better UI tools).
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
>> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
>> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Stéphane Ducasse
doru

please stop this insane appetizer for OCompletion, I have to work on latex documents and integrate code no
fun programming right now ;D

Stef

On Aug 3, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>>> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
>>> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
>>> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Lucas - I can't repeat this in a Pharo 1.1 image - so maybe we should
put it down to some oCompletion/eCompletion bad interaction (or unload
weirdness).

Tim

On 3 Aug 2010, at 12:23, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I am using the images from hudson.lukas-renggli.ch. I don't know how
> oCompletion depends/overrides on eCompletion, so indeed it might make
> a difference.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Lucas, which image are you using - and I will load it up and try
>> again (I am using the seaside 3.0rc image - although I did unload
>> oCompletion from it and then load eCompletion - maybe that makes a
>> difference?). I appreciate your patience on this by the way - often
>> I'm not sure which things are supposed to work (or work differently
>> from how I expect).
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On 3 Aug 2010, at 11:24, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>

>> I played a bit with the selection an the enabling of the menus this
>> morning, however I found it quite confusing if the closest matching
>> expression is automatically picked.
>>
>> I could not reproduce the issue you report with the spaces. In my
>> image when I select a full expression whitespaces at start and end do
>> not matter.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Tuesday, August 3, 2010, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Lukas - I logged it as issue 2742 (now that I know its a bit picky,
>> I'll select extra spaces as a workaround).
>>
>> Some day I will learn how some of this works so that I can try and
>> help out (from my time spent in Dolphin where RB is tightly
>> integrated,  it was cool messing around with parse nodes to drive
>> better UI tools).
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> I don't see that difference with the space, but it is true that you
>> need to select a valid expression to get the menu items enabled. In
>> that regard, the conditions could probably be relaxed a bit.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Refactor source method is grayed out?

Romain Robbes-2

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 02:09:57 +0100
> From: Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Refactor source method is grayed out?
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Lucas - I can't repeat this in a Pharo 1.1 image - so maybe we should
> put it down to some oCompletion/eCompletion bad interaction (or unload
> weirdness).
>
> Tim
>
> On 3 Aug 2010, at 12:23, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> I am using the images from hudson.lukas-renggli.ch. I don't know how
>> oCompletion depends/overrides on eCompletion, so indeed it might make
>> a difference.
>>
>> Lukas

OCompletion is a fork of eCompletion. A while ago I think eCompletion was not really maintained so it made sense to just fork it.

        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es