Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Chris Cunnington
I just changed the Squeak Wiki  <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/227> entry about the RefactoringBrowser to what you see below. If what I've said is wrong, please say how. Also, the username/password for changing the Squeak Wiki is squeak/viewpoints. Anybody can contribute or update.

Chris

The RefactoringBrowser is now a series of menues in the OmniBrowser. You get the OmniBrowser in your system by executing this code in a Workspace.

"Omnibrowser"
(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
install: 'OmniBrowser';
install: 'OB-Morphic';
install: 'OB-Standard';
install: 'OB-Shout';
install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.

"Refactoring engine and OB integration"
(Installer ss project: 'rb')
install: 'AST';
install: 'Refactoring-Core';
install: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
project: 'Regex';
install: 'VB-Regex'.

(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
install: 'OB-Refactory';
install: 'OB-Regex'.

Once you've done that, when you reach for a browser, it will ask you which of three browsers you want: Packaging, Omni, or regular. You can change from one to the other by clicking on a menu on the top rim of an open browser.

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Squeak List
chris,

this "seems" to do the exact same as before...

i am wondering how to get back to the original browser which came with 4.1... via a Preferences option, possibly... which i do not find existing - and i am not asking you, or anyone else to create: this is just something i find curious. and i probably missed the emails and webpages that explain how to do so...

the 3 choices seems to only happen/appear 1 time after what i described before and what you describe below: and if one chooses OB, you are stuck with it forever... ???

it just seems like those 3 choices would always appear when you try 2 open a browser: unless there was a preference (i am guessing - but maybe under the Browsing Preference?) that would get rid of the Browsing(BROWSER) options which bloat your system and "you know you have no interest in"??

it seems that it could at least be possible to go back to the original 4.1 browser via a preference maybe? or at least a comment somewhere obvious (which is indeed probably there and i missed it) about how 2 do so? maybe not. i don't know right now.

i most often just save/re-name my images before (or after) i try out anything new.

which is perfectly fine :)

i also ask questions from time to time.

and really appreciate when someone finds time to answer :)

thanks,

ken

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Squeak List
Casey,

Thank-you. it works :)

ken

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

fvozzi
Hi Chris,
did it work on Squeak 4.2 ?

Thanks,
FV

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Hi Dale! ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak)

fvozzi
Thanks Chirs, I'll stay tuned to dale answer's.

Just by curiosity, nobody are using refactoring browser on Squeak 4.2?

See you,
FV

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yea, interesting question.

To start, I wouldn't follow that swiki post. Open a 4.2 and go to the menu bar:

Help>>ExtendingTheSystem

Open that. Then highlight:

"Omnibrowser, including Refactoring engine"
(Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser) project perform: #lastVersion) load: #( Dev ).

Select all and doit. It'll rattle along for a while and then get an error:

error: 'Could not resolve: ', packageSpec name, ' [', packageSpec file, ']', ' in', repositoryString,
               (repositoryError == nil
                   ifTrue: ['']
                   ifFalse: [
                       "report repository error to user here, since failure here is likely to be due to earlier repository error"
                       ' ERROR: ', repositoryError description printString ])

which is in:

MetacelloLoadingMCSpecLoader>>retryingResolvePackageSpecReferences:gofer:

So, I'd say that would be the best approach to take, not my wiki post. Often some gap grows with OB and Metacello and Squeak. But, Dale is good about this kind of stuff, so I imagine that he'll be along to help you presently.

Chris

Re: Hi Dale! ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak)

Dale Henrichs
Woops, I guess I missed the original thread:)

I'd like to know the packageSpec file and repositoryString to understand which package caused a problem ... the error _could_ have come from SqueakSource or other repository being down ... Metacello tries three times before giving up ...

Seaside30 uses the #stable version of OmniBrowser (which at this point in time is also the lastVersion:) and when 3.0.4 was released I was able to successfully load OmniBrowser into a 4.2 image, so I would try again and hope that the repository is not down again ... SqueakSource is usually the culprit:)

The repositoryString should give you the name of the repository...

Dale

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

glenpaling
Chris why not include the whole package including code critics and tests.

"Omnibrowser"
(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
        install: 'OmniBrowser';
        install: 'OB-Morphic';
        install: 'OB-Standard';
        install: 'OB-Shout';
        install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.

"Refactoring engine and OB integration"
(Installer ss project: 'rb')
        install: 'AST';
        install: 'AST-Tests-Core';
        install: 'Refactoring-Core';
        install: 'Refactoring-Environment';
        install: 'Refactoring-Critics';
        install: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
        install: 'Refactoring-Changes';
        install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Core';
        install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Environment';
        install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Critics';
        install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Spelling';
        install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Changes'.

(Installer ss project: 'Regex')
        install: 'VB-Regex'.

(Installer wiresong project: 'ob')
        install: 'OB-Refactory';
        install: 'OB-Regex'.

Code critics requires this selector for Symbol (I poached it from Pharo).

'From Pharo-1.1-11411 of 17 July 2010 [Latest update: #11411] on 26 March 2011 at 1:06:11 pm'!

!Symbol methodsFor: 'testing' stamp: 'StephaneDucasse 5/21/2010 18:33'!
isBinary
        "Answer whether the receiver is a binary message selector."

        ^ self precedence == 2! !

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Tobias Pape

The longer this list gets, the more I with
Metacello in the Squeak Base image.

Just my 2ct

        -Tobias

s/with/wish/

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Chris Cunnington
Well, I just took a 4.2 and used that code in your message and I've got
it working, so clearly what you're saying is better.
Help>>ExtendingTheSystem seems to be a bit problematic.

Chris

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Chris Muller-3
SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.

Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
always be sorted to the top.

If you would also paste in an equivalent script, but with the current
version-numbers hard-coded in, and save that one under your normal
version naming scheme, then we will have one that will be guaranteed
to load successfully into 4.2 forever, since 4.2 is frozen.

If the owner of the RefactoringBrowser and RefactoringEngine packages
(Marcus Denker) has departed the community, I will add the "Community
Supported" category to those packages so that we in the community can
add new releases to those packages similarly, starting with the above
scripts.

SqueakMap is really easy now, and that's why, when 4.2 was released,
there were only 2 or 3 packages listed in the SqueakMap browser.  Now
we have over 18 software packages for the production 4.2 release that
are ready to load straight from the catalog.  SqueakMap is going to be
the definitive list of available, working software for Squeak, so if
your package is not listed you don't want to be left out; we should
use it.

 - Chris

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, I just took a 4.2 and used that code in your message and I've got it
> working, so clearly what you're saying is better. Help>>ExtendingTheSystem
> seems to be a bit problematic.
>
> Chris

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Colin Putney-3
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
> Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.
>
> Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
> SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
> it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
> the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
> always be sorted to the top.

Sounds great. I'll tackle that tonight.

Colin

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Chris Cunnington
Bold action. I like it.

ExtendingTheSystem was a good idea. But it sort of fell between the cracks.

SqueakMap is great stuff. And by that I mean it has lots of potential
for the Squeak community. It can be extended lots of ways. And it's
intimately associated with every image.

I'm hacking its server, and on a regular basis I need to get a new
catalog file. It's surprising how many people add stuff each month.

Nice work, Chris M.

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Colin Putney-3
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
> Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.
>
> Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
> SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
> it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
> the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
> always be sorted to the top.

Erm... I don't see any "Create New Release" item in the context menu.
Are we talking about the brown window that opens up after selecting
"SqueakMap Catalog" from the App menu in a 4.2 image? Or something on
map.squeak.org?

I haven't used SqueakMap in a long time (not since 2005, apparently)
so I'm not up to speed on how it works.

Colin

SqueakMap revival (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak)

Göran Krampe
Hey Colin!

On 04/06/2011 08:55 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Chris Muller<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
>> Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.
>>
>> Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
>> SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
>> it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
>> the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
>> always be sorted to the top.
>
> Erm... I don't see any "Create New Release" item in the context menu.
> Are we talking about the brown window that opens up after selecting
> "SqueakMap Catalog" from the App menu in a 4.2 image? Or something on
> map.squeak.org?

The former BUT I think you need a trunk image, AFAICT 4.2 doesn't have
the newer snapshots of SqueakMap. NOTE: I haven't been involved in Chris
latest stuff, so I am just now looking at it for the first time.

The trunk image I just downloaded has it:

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3/Squeak4.3alpha-11157.zip

...and I presume that if you do your releases with that one, then they
can of course be installed from a 4.2 image etc.

> I haven't used SqueakMap in a long time (not since 2005, apparently)
> so I'm not up to speed on how it works.

Neither am I but Chris has made some really nice and important
improvements here and really breathed life into it again! And I know
there is a new web UI in the works.

regards, Göran

Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/6/11, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
>> Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.
>>
>> Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
>> SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
>> it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
>> the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
>> always be sorted to the top.
>
> Erm... I don't see any "Create New Release" item in the context menu.
> Are we talking about the brown window that opens up after selecting
> "SqueakMap Catalog" from the App menu in a 4.2 image? Or something on
> map.squeak.org?

I assume map.squeak.org to include the load script. See 'Designer' for
example. In that case it is a Metacello configuration load.

The brown window in the App menu is for users to fetch and execute the script.

> I haven't used SqueakMap in a long time (not since 2005, apparently)
> so I'm not up to speed on how it works.

So passes the time .....

In any case -- I would welcome that you could paste in addition the
current load script for the release (4.2-10950 and the current
development head version 4.3) in an email here as well.

I just tried to execute the load script in the 'extending the system'
workspace in 4.2-10950 and it gave a walkback (I cannot say if it was
the script or a network problem though)

--Hannes

Re: SqueakMap revival (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak)

Colin Putney-3
2011/4/6 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> The former BUT I think you need a trunk image, AFAICT 4.2 doesn't have the
> newer snapshots of SqueakMap. NOTE: I haven't been involved in Chris latest
> stuff, so I am just now looking at it for the first time.
>
> The trunk image I just downloaded has it:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3/Squeak4.3alpha-11157.zip
>
> ...and I presume that if you do your releases with that one, then they can
> of course be installed from a 4.2 image etc.

Ah, ok, found it. The SqueakMap server doesn't seem to be responding
right now, so I'll have to try again later. Argh.

Colin