Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Alejandro Gonzalez-4
Hello everybody!

I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a project ( that
luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the idea is to
add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this original idea may
slightly change since it is being defined as I get knowledge about the
topic.
Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic will be
happily welcomed.
For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results with any
interested on this thread.

Thanks in advance
Alejandro

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/2, Alejandro Gonzalez <[hidden email]>:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a project ( that
> luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
> Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
> The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the idea is to
> add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this original idea may
> slightly change since it is being defined as I get knowledge about the
> topic.
> Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic will be
> happily welcomed.
> For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results with any
> interested on this thread.

The current refacotring enginge is not trait aware. It just treats
traits as classes. This is a problem if it wants to look at the
classtrait it just looks at the class Trait.

Some simple ideas for Lint rules:
- methods equally defined in trait
- missing explicit requirement

Philippe

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Damien Cassou-3

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Marcus Denker

On 02.10.2006, at 12:55, Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a
> project ( that luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
> Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
> The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the
> idea is to add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this
> original idea may slightly change since it is being defined as I
> get knowledge about the topic.
> Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic will
> be happily welcomed.
> For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results
> with any interested on this thread.

Good idea, yes. You should evaluate the Refactoring Browser
(Refactoring Engine). I just hacked it a little so that Tratis are
treated like classes. This
is for sure not what is needed... it should be extended to know about
Traits and then we need support for "refactoring towards" traits.

Should be a nice topic.

     Marcus

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

stephane ducasse-2
Excellent idea.

Now I would start to look at the refactoring in Squeak since they
could be dramatically improved.
Also supporting package refactorings could be really big plus. Move
to package. Create package with:....
Having multiple selection for Omnibrowser would be an important point.

>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a
>> project ( that luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
>> Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
>> The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the
>> idea is to add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this
>> original idea may slightly change since it is being defined as I
>> get knowledge about the topic.
>> Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic
>> will be happily welcomed.
>> For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results
>> with any interested on this thread.
>
> Good idea, yes. You should evaluate the Refactoring Browser
> (Refactoring Engine). I just hacked it a little so that Tratis are
> treated like classes. This
> is for sure not what is needed... it should be extended to know
> about Traits and then we need support for "refactoring towards"
> traits.
>
> Should be a nice topic.
>
>     Marcus

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Alejandro Gonzalez-4
I can’t take the credit for this idea...I'd like it were mine but not :(
It was suggested by Stephane Ducasse to Hernan Wilkinson, who leads me on
this research at my university. Thanks Stephane...

Regards,
Alejandro G.

On 2 oct. 06, at 21:12, Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:

> I can’t take the credit for this idea...I'd like it were mine but
> not :(
> It was suggested by Stephane Ducasse to Hernan Wilkinson, who leads
> me on this research at my university. Thanks Stephane...

:)
no problem ideas are one things, making them real is another one so
go and have fun!

> Regards,
> Alejandro G.

Emerson Murphy-Hill
It's not Squeak-based, but see section 4 in this paper:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1066129.1066137

Good luck,

Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a project
> ( that luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
> Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
> The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the idea
> is to add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this original
> idea may slightly change since it is being defined as I get knowledge
> about the topic.
> Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic will be
> happily welcomed.
> For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results with
> any interested on this thread.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Alejandro

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Alejandro,

This is a paper on a semi-automatic approach for identifying Traits
based on formal concept analysis:

Adrian Lienhard, Stéphane Ducasse and Gabriela Arévalo, “Identifying
Traits with Formal Concept Analysis,” Proceedings of ASE '05 (20th
Conference on Automated Software Engineering), IEEE Computer Society
Press, November 2005, pp. 66-75.
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/Lien05aIdentifyingTraits.pdf

If you have any questions, let me know.

Adrian

___________________
Adrian Lienhard
www.adrian-lienhard.ch

On Oct 2, 2006, at 12:55 , Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm starting a research on refactorings & traits as part of a
> project ( that luckily :-) could end as my thesis ).
> Since I'm a newbie, my fist step is this email.
> The idea and scope are not closed yet but at a first glance the
> idea is to add refatoring tools to Squeak for traits, but this
> original idea may slightly change since it is being defined as I
> get knowledge about the topic.
> Every paper, link, idea, resource, suggestion about this topic will
> be happily welcomed.
> For sure, as soon as I make some progress, I'll share the results
> with any interested on this thread.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Alejandro

Re: Refactoring to traits / Refactoring traits

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:29:16 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Alejandro,
>
> This is a paper on a semi-automatic approach for identifying Traits
> based on formal concept analysis:
>
> Adrian Lienhard, Stéphane Ducasse and Gabriela Arévalo, “Identifying
> Traits with Formal Concept Analysis,” Proceedings of ASE '05 (20th
> Conference on Automated Software Engineering), IEEE Computer Society
> Press, November 2005, pp. 66-75.
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/Lien05aIdentifyingTraits.pdf

Interesting piece of work, especially in comparision to manual
refactorings.

> If you have any questions, let me know.

Is the algorithm which computes the concept lattice written in Smalltalk,
and if so, can I have the source code.

/Klaus

On Oct 8, 2006, at 18:07 , Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:29:16 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>> Hi Alejandro,
>>
>> This is a paper on a semi-automatic approach for identifying
>> Traits based on formal concept analysis:
>>
>> Adrian Lienhard, Stéphane Ducasse and Gabriela Arévalo,
>> “Identifying Traits with Formal Concept Analysis,” Proceedings of
>> ASE '05 (20th Conference on Automated Software Engineering), IEEE
>> Computer Society Press, November 2005, pp. 66-75.
>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/
>> Lien05aIdentifyingTraits.pdf
>
> Interesting piece of work, especially in comparision to manual
> refactorings.
>
>> If you have any questions, let me know.
>
> Is the algorithm which computes the concept lattice written in
> Smalltalk, and if so, can I have the source code.

The prototype was implemented in Visual Works and the FCA algorithm
was done by Gabriela as part of her PhD (http://www.iam.unibe.ch/
~arevalo/). If there is interest to port the FCA algorithm to Squeak,
we should ask her...

Adrian