Regarding the shortcuts

Mariano Martinez Peck
Now that you are discussing this in another thread..I remember that in August I opened this ticket:  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1042

For those you have ever seen the list of shortcut, here they are (I am not sure 100% are working now).

Cheers,

Mariano

Lower-case command keys
(use with Cmd key on Mac and Alt key on other platforms)
a    Select all
b    Browse it (selection is a class name or cursor is over a class-list or message-list)
c    Copy selection
d    Do it (selection is a valid expression)
e    Exchange selection with prior selection
f    Find
g    Find again
h    Set selection as search string for find again
i    Inspect it (selection is a valid expression, or selection is over an inspect-ilst)
j    Again once (do the last text-related operation again)
k    Set font
l    Cancel
m    Implementors of it (selection is a message selector or cursor is over a class-list or message-list)
n    Senders of it (selection is a message selector or cursor is over a class-list or message-list)
o    Spawn current method
p    Print it (selection is a valid expression)
q    Query symbol (toggle all possible completion for a given prefix)
r    Recognizer
s    Save (i.e. accept)
t    Finds a Transcript (when cursor is over the desktop)
u    Toggle alignment
v    Paste
w    Delete preceding word (over text);  Close-window (over morphic desktop)
x    Cut selection
y    Swap characters
z    Undo

Note: for Do it, Senders of it, etc., a null selection will be expanded to a word or to the current line in an attempt to do what you want.  Also note that Senders/Implementors of it will find the outermost keyword selector in a large selection, as when you have selected a bracketed expression or an entire line.  Finally note that the same cmd-m and cmd-n (and cmd-v for versions) work in the message pane of most browsers.

Upper-case command keys
    (use with Shift-Cmd, or Ctrl on Mac
    or Shift-Alt on other platforms; sometimes Ctrl works too)
A    Advance argument
B    Browse it in this same browser (in System browsers only)
C    Compare argument to clipboard
D    Duplicate
E    Method strings containing it
F    Insert 'ifFalse:'
G    fileIn from it (a file name)
H    cursor TopHome:
I    Inspect via Object Explorer
J    Again many (apply the previous text command repeatedly until the end of the text)
K    Set style
L    Outdent (move selection one tab-stop left)
M    Select current type-in
N    References to it (selection is a class name, or cursor is over a class-list or message-list)
O    Open single-message browser (in message lists)
P    Make project link
R    Indent (move selection one tab-stap right)
S    Search
T    Insert 'ifTrue:'
U    Convert linefeeds to carriage returns in selection
V    Paste author's initials
W    Selectors containing it (in text); show-world-menu (when issued with cursor over desktop)
X    Force selection to lowercase
Y    Force selection to uppercase
Z    Capitalize all words in selection

Other special keys
Backspace    Backward delete character
Del            Forward delete character
Shift-Bksp    Backward delete word
Shift-Del    Forward delete word
Esc            Pop up the Desktop Menu
\            Send top window to back

Cursor keys
left, right,
up, down    Move cursor left, right, up or down
Ctrl-left        Move cursor left one word
Ctrl-right    Move cursor right one word
Home        Move cursor to begin of line or begin of text
End            Move cursor to end of line or end of text
PgUp, Ctrl-up    Move cursor up one page
PgDown, Ctrl-Dn    Move cursor down one page

Note all these keys can be used together with Shift to define or enlarge the selection. You cannot however shrink that selection again, as in some other systems.

Other Cmd-key combinations (not available on all platforms)
Return        Insert return followed by as many tabs as the previous line
            (with a further adjustment for additional brackets in that line)
Space        Select the current word as with double clicking

Enclose the selection in a kind of bracket.  Each is a toggle.
    (not available on all platforms)
Ctrl-(    Enclose within ( and ), or remove enclosing ( and )
Ctrl-[    Enclose within [ and ], or remove enclosing [ and ]
Crtl-{    Enclose within { and }, or remove enclosing { and }
Ctrl-<    Enclose within < and >, or remove enclosing < and >
Ctrl-'    Enclose within ' and ', or remove enclosing ' and '
Ctrl-"    Enclose within " and ", or remove enclosing " and "
Note also that you can double-click just inside any of the above delimiters,
or at the beginning or end of a line, to select the text enclosed.

Text Emphasis
    (not available on all platforms)
Cmd-1    10 point font
Cmd-2    12 point font
Cmd-3    18 point font
Cmd-4    24 point font
Cmd-5    36 point font
Cmd-6    color, action-on-click, link to class comment, link to method, url
        Brings up a menu.  To remove these properties, select
        more than the active part and then use command-0.
Cmd-7    bold
Cmd-8    italic
Cmd-9    narrow (same as negative kern)
Cmd-0    plain text (resets all emphasis)
Cmd--    underlined (toggles it)
Cmd-=    struck out (toggles it)

Shift-Cmd--    (aka :=) negative kern (letters 1 pixel closer)
Shift-Cmd-+    positive kern (letters 1 pixel larger spread)

Re: Regarding the shortcuts

csrabak
Well then be sure they're not 100% working.  Also, we should get a way of having the
shortcuts less dependent on platform (ex. the prefix key to what we need to find a
way of referring to them in an homogeneous way like, say, Emacs).

In PBE book a change was done towards a unified terminology for the mouse buttons.  I
know still there are some issues with that, but let's move on!

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 12/12/2009 20:49, Mariano Martinez Peck < [hidden email] > escreveu:

[...]

Michael Rueger-6
[hidden email] wrote:
> Well then be sure they're not 100% working.  Also, we should get a way of having the
> shortcuts less dependent on platform (ex. the prefix key to what we need to find a
> way of referring to them in an homogeneous way like, say, Emacs).

being a long time smalltalk user, how does Emacs do it?

In Sophie we used I think shift, command, control to identify the
modifier keys and mapped them in the platform classes to the platform
specific bits.
We also had a key dispatcher class with instances configured for the
different views so that all the modifier etc handling was done in one place.

> In PBE book a change was done towards a unified terminology for the mouse buttons.  I
> know still there are some issues with that, but let's move on!

What are the issues?

Michael

Re: Regarding the shortcuts

csrabak

Em 13/12/2009 07:03, Michael Rueger  escreveu:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Well then be sure they're not 100% working.  Also, we should get a
> > way of  having the shortcuts  less dependent on platform  (ex. the
> > prefix key to what  we need to find a way of  referring to them in
> > an homogeneous way like, say, Emacs).
>  being a long time smalltalk user, how does Emacs do it?

Emacs coming from an old heritage and being multiplataform as well,
'standardized' the names Control and Meta, this last one normally maps
to Alt key in PCs but it is called Meta in Workstations.

There is no need to explicitly talk about Shift if you are only
working with alphanumeric shortcuts, if we decide to employ the ten to
twelve "function keys", then the Shift prefix has to come in play.

>  In Sophie we  used I think shift, command,  control to identify the
> modifier  keys  and mapped  them  in  the  platform classes  to  the
> platform specific  bits.  We  also had a  key dispatcher  class with
> instances  configured  for  the  different  views so  that  all  the
> modifier etc handling was done in one place.

IIUC 'command' can be  the name we use for the command key in Macs and
Alt for PCs, we've only to create a  nomenclature, stick to it and use
it consitently in the program and documentation.

> > In PBE  book a change was  done towards a  unified terminology for
> > the mouse buttons.  I know  still there are some issues with that,
> > but let's move on!
>  What are the issues?

Certain operations which used to be available on the three button mice
now only work if you prefix the button with a Ctrl, and this behaviour
it is not consistent, so from times to times you've to do an heuristic
search of the menu you want to appear...

--
Cesar Rabak