Releasing 4.1

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

Since I haven't seen any dramatic issues with rc4 it's time to dot the
i's and cross the t's and ship 4.1. To do that I've prepared rc5 to
include the following fixes:

* Unix VM 4.0.3.2202 to address libuuid crashes and sound issues.
* Protocols-fbs.29 to restore the buttons in Lexicon
* SMBase-ar.111 to address the SMDependencyTest problem
* System-ar.315 to address the sound CPU utilization issue on Linux

I have two "special" requests this time:

1) Windows Installer. Ian, can you prepare another installer but this
time please do not refer to "release candidate" anywhere in the
installer. The goal for a release candidate is always to ship it as the
product unless a fatal flaw is found, so any names should always refer
to the final product and leave out references to temporary or
intermediate versions.

2) Download location. Ken, can you 'prepare' the ftp location at
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1 to be a real directory that the 'updates'
account can modify?

If everything checks out as expected, I'd like to simply copy rc5 into
the final directory and send out the release announcement. As usual, rc5
is available at:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc5

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Releasing 4.1

Frank Shearar
Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> Since I haven't seen any dramatic issues with rc4 it's time to dot the
> i's and cross the t's and ship 4.1. To do that I've prepared rc5 to
> include the following fixes:
>
> * Unix VM 4.0.3.2202 to address libuuid crashes and sound issues.
> * Protocols-fbs.29 to restore the buttons in Lexicon

I'm sort've semispamming here because I've mentioned this datum before:
Inbox has Protocols-fbs.30 which makes Lexicon respect the
#optionalButtons preference. So it restores the buttons in Lexicon but,
unlike in Protocols-fbs.29, it does so in line with the Browser conventions.

frank

Re: Releasing 4.1

Edgar De Cleene
Still the new FileList window do not do the same as FileList2
openMorphicViewInWorld.

The added server could see with his name , but when you hit it , raise the
attached walkback.

Again I ask if FileDirectoryWrapper is deprecated and if not why do not use
it.

Edgar

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Releasing 4.1

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Releasing 4.1 This is for Chris.

I use Ma extensions for a long time , so very happy some of it is on base image now.
But still many windows open when try to follow implementors and senders.
Not so in my own fork using Ma base additions-cmm.34.

I must set some preference?
Or not all of your previous ma is on base 4.1 and should be loaded from SqueakSource ?

Very thanks.

Edgar

Re: Releasing 4.1

Andreas.Raab
On 4/15/2010 3:59 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> Since I haven't seen any dramatic issues with rc4 it's time to dot the
>> i's and cross the t's and ship 4.1. To do that I've prepared rc5 to
>> include the following fixes:
>>
>> * Unix VM 4.0.3.2202 to address libuuid crashes and sound issues.
>> * Protocols-fbs.29 to restore the buttons in Lexicon
>
> I'm sort've semispamming here because I've mentioned this datum before:
> Inbox has Protocols-fbs.30 which makes Lexicon respect the
> #optionalButtons preference. So it restores the buttons in Lexicon but,
> unlike in Protocols-fbs.29, it does so in line with the Browser
> conventions.

Let's fix this in 4.2 and if it turns out to be a major impediment for
people to use optionalButtons in 4.1 we can include the fix in 4.1.2 as
well.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Releasing 4.1

Andreas.Raab
On 4/15/2010 4:07 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Still the new FileList window do not do the same as FileList2
> openMorphicViewInWorld.
>
> The added server could see with his name , but when you hit it , raise the
> attached walkback.
>
> Again I ask if FileDirectoryWrapper is deprecated and if not why do not use
> it.

Because the interface was changed to use ToolBuilder which has a
different idea of how to deal with trees. FileDirectoryWrapper isn't
deprecated as much as it is unused at this point.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Releasing 4.1

Ken Causey-3
On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 22:54 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> 2) Download location. Ken, can you 'prepare' the ftp location at
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1 to be a real directory that the 'updates'
> account can modify?
>
> If everything checks out as expected, I'd like to simply copy rc5 into
> the final directory and send out the release announcement. As usual, rc5
> is available at:
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc5
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Done.  I copied the contents of 4.1rc5 into the new

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/

directory as is for now and of course you now have write access to clean
it up as desired.

Ken

Re: Releasing 4.1

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/15/10 1:20 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because the interface was changed to use ToolBuilder which has a
> different idea of how to deal with trees. FileDirectoryWrapper isn't
> deprecated as much as it is unused at this point.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

ok.
At some point all old as FileList2 openMorphicViewInWorld and more windows
not using ToolBuilder become deprecated ?

Ideas for solving the walckback ?

Edgar

Re: Releasing 4.1

Tim Felgentreff
Hi

I noticed that some of the changes I made to the SystemWindow have not
been applied in RC5. Could you run
SystemWindow initialize.
before you mark it as released?
Regarding the default preference with alternative window buttons, if we
agree on setting them off per default, I pushed a package to the inbox
which sets that preference via
(Preferences dictionaryOfPreferences at: #alternativeWindowBoxesLook)
defaultValue: false.
The same package also makes the button gradients a little less
pronounced.
Hope this is alright this late in the release process, it's pretty minor
changes.

Regards,
Tim