Relicensing effort

gcotelli
Hi!

There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed methods?

I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to duplicate the effort :)

Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?

Thanks
Gabriel

Re: Relicensing effort

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Gabriel,

On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> methods?

As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.

> I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> duplicate
> the effort :)

Great!

> Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?

The core image.

I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
seen here:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.

I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods announces it
on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842

Thanks,
Adrian

BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

gcotelli

Hi,
I will start on re-writting this methods:

Number>>reciprocal
Fraction class>>one
Fraction>>reciprocal
Float class>>one
Float>>reciprocal
Integer class>>one

All of this are almost trivial to re-write so I think it's a good start point. My plan is to first write a test case covering this, delete the old method (if present) and re-implement it.

I signed the License Agrement on Friday and sent an scanned copy to Stephane by e-mail (probably he still doesn't update the list).

Thanks,
Gabriel

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> methods?

As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.

> I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> duplicate
> the effort :)

Great!

> Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?

The core image.

I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
seen here:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.

I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods announces it
on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842

Thanks,
Adrian

BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent!
Gabriel what I suggest you to do is to check if the previous author is
not a person that signed the agreement (Squeak + pharo)
Often what we see is that some method got changes for a simple fix in
comment or formatting.

Stef

On May 23, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi,
> I will start on re-writting this methods:
>
> Number>>reciprocal
> Fraction class>>one
> Fraction>>reciprocal
> Float class>>one
> Float>>reciprocal
> Integer class>>one
>
> All of this are almost trivial to re-write so I think it's a good
> start point. My plan is to first write a test case covering this,
> delete the old method (if present) and re-implement it.
>
> I signed the License Agrement on Friday and sent an scanned copy to
> Stephane by e-mail (probably he still doesn't update the list).
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> > methods?
>
> As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.
>
> > I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> > duplicate
> > the effort :)
>
> Great!
>
> > Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?
>
> The core image.
>
> I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
> seen here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.
>
> I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods announces it
> on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
> thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
> agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
> methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

gcotelli
Ok, I will check that first... The last core image is 10304cl?

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent!
Gabriel what I suggest you to do is to check if the previous author is
not a person that signed the agreement (Squeak + pharo)
Often what we see is that some method got changes for a simple fix in
comment or formatting.

Stef

On May 23, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Hi,
> I will start on re-writting this methods:
>
> Number>>reciprocal
> Fraction class>>one
> Fraction>>reciprocal
> Float class>>one
> Float>>reciprocal
> Integer class>>one
>
> All of this are almost trivial to re-write so I think it's a good
> start point. My plan is to first write a test case covering this,
> delete the old method (if present) and re-implement it.
>
> I signed the License Agrement on Friday and sent an scanned copy to
> Stephane by e-mail (probably he still doesn't update the list).
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> > methods?
>
> As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.
>
> > I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> > duplicate
> > the effort :)
>
> Great!
>
> > Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?
>
> The core image.
>
> I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
> seen here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.
>
> I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods announces it
> on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
> thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
> agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
> methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

Stéphane Ducasse
no 15

        do an update
        Preference software update

Stef
On May 23, 2009, at 9:42 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Ok, I will check that first... The last core image is 10304cl?
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Excellent!
> Gabriel what I suggest you to do is to check if the previous author is
> not a person that signed the agreement (Squeak + pharo)
> Often what we see is that some method got changes for a simple fix in
> comment or formatting.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 23, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I will start on re-writting this methods:
> >
> > Number>>reciprocal
> > Fraction class>>one
> > Fraction>>reciprocal
> > Float class>>one
> > Float>>reciprocal
> > Integer class>>one
> >
> > All of this are almost trivial to re-write so I think it's a good
> > start point. My plan is to first write a test case covering this,
> > delete the old method (if present) and re-implement it.
> >
> > I signed the License Agrement on Friday and sent an scanned copy to
> > Stephane by e-mail (probably he still doesn't update the list).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gabriel
> >
> > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > Hi Gabriel,
> >
> > On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> > > methods?
> >
> > As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.
> >
> > > I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> > > duplicate
> > > the effort :)
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?
> >
> > The core image.
> >
> > I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
> > seen here:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.
> >
> > I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods
> announces it
> > on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
> > thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adrian
> >
> > BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
> > agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
> > methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

gcotelli
Ok. thanks

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
no 15

       do an update
       Preference software update

Stef
On May 23, 2009, at 9:42 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Ok, I will check that first... The last core image is 10304cl?
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Excellent!
> Gabriel what I suggest you to do is to check if the previous author is
> not a person that signed the agreement (Squeak + pharo)
> Often what we see is that some method got changes for a simple fix in
> comment or formatting.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 23, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I will start on re-writting this methods:
> >
> > Number>>reciprocal
> > Fraction class>>one
> > Fraction>>reciprocal
> > Float class>>one
> > Float>>reciprocal
> > Integer class>>one
> >
> > All of this are almost trivial to re-write so I think it's a good
> > start point. My plan is to first write a test case covering this,
> > delete the old method (if present) and re-implement it.
> >
> > I signed the License Agrement on Friday and sent an scanned copy to
> > Stephane by e-mail (probably he still doesn't update the list).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gabriel
> >
> > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > Hi Gabriel,
> >
> > On May 23, 2009, at 19:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > There is somebody coordinating the re-write of non re-licensed
> > > methods?
> >
> > As I started working on it last week, I can coordinate.
> >
> > > I probably could re-write some of this methods but don't want to
> > > duplicate
> > > the effort :)
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > Should I take the Pharo-Core image or the Pharo-Dev for this?
> >
> > The core image.
> >
> > I already fixed more than half of the methods. What is left can be
> > seen here:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ResultofRelicensing.
> >
> > I suggest that whoever starts working on a set of methods
> announces it
> > on this mailing list. Like this we don't get a conflict. The easiest
> > thing is to produce a change set and then attach it to the issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adrian
> >
> > BTW, I don't see you on the list of OK committers. Did you sign the
> > agreement? Else your changes will reappear on the list of non-clean
> > methods! ;)

Re: Relicensing effort

Adrian Lienhard
Another note, Etoys did the following: "Number>>raisedToInteger:,
Number>>reciprocal, Float>>reciprocal, Float>>sqrt, Float>>reciprocal,
Integer>>// are reverted as they are comment changes or error
reporting scheme change."

Cited from the changeset 2184removeScaledDecimal.st (this file and
others can be found in the zip I linked form http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/LicenseCleanEffort)
.

In this changeset you find the old versions of the methods. Copying
these over should do the job.

Cheers,
Adrian

On May 23, 2009, at 21:55 , Gabriel Cotelli wrote:

> Ok. thanks
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> no 15
>>
>>       do an update
>>       Preference software update
>>
>> Stef
>> On May 23, 2009, at 9:42 PM, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I will check that first... The last core image is 10304cl?
>>>
>>> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <
>> [hidden email]
>>> Excellent!
>>> Gabriel what I suggest you to do is to check if the previous
>>> author is
>>> not a person that signed the agreement (Squeak + pharo)
>>> Often what we see is that some method got changes for a simple fix
>>> in
>>> comment or formatting.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> announces it
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=842

Re: Relicensing effort

gcotelli
Thanks Adrian,
I'm still waiting for the core image update to finish :(