Reminder: change the archiving tool

Torsten Bergmann
>All .zip files with pharo images having an annoying Apple-ism - a
>.DS_Store garbage file.
>Please use a zip archiver which includes only relevant files to
>archive, because obviously this garbage has no use anywhere but Macs.

Last time I mentioned this (as  windows user)
I was told (by Adrian or Stef?) they are usefull/required for Mac users
and it is easy for others platform users to throw them
away

So maybe we should first check with the mac users around
here before changing the one click distro

Bye
T.

Re: Reminder: change the archiving tool

Adrian Lienhard

On Jan 21, 2011, at 15:23 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> All .zip files with pharo images having an annoying Apple-ism - a
>> .DS_Store garbage file.
>> Please use a zip archiver which includes only relevant files to
>> archive, because obviously this garbage has no use anywhere but Macs.
>
> Last time I mentioned this (as  windows user)
> I was told (by Adrian or Stef?) they are usefull/required for Mac users

not me :)

I agree, we should avoid shipping with this garbage... I assume that with the automated builds from Hudson the problem will go away.

Adrian

Reminder: change the archiving tool

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 21 Jan 2011, at 15:23, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Last time I mentioned this (as  windows user)
> I was told (by Adrian or Stef?) they are usefull/required for Mac users
> and it is easy for others platform users to throw them
> away
>
> So maybe we should first check with the mac users around
> here before changing the one click distro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store

These are not really needed.
They make archives ugly for users on other systems, best to clean them unless there is a good reason to keep them.

Sven