Remote administration of VM(s)

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

Is there another mean of remote administration than VNC? VNC is nice,
but if your internet connection is slow or buggy, it becomes hard to
use. Is there a project about a command line interface (ncurses like)
for Pharo?

Also, how do you manage a lot of VMs? Is there some sort of monitoring
and administration interface I can use? (I think that question is
mostly directed at the seasidehosting.st folks)
I think I saw an ESUG GSOC idea about that (
http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas#h-116 ).

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: Remote administration of VM(s)

Stéphane Ducasse

> Hello,
>
> Is there another mean of remote administration than VNC? VNC is nice,
> but if your internet connection is slow or buggy, it becomes hard to
> use. Is there a project about a command line interface (ncurses like)
> for Pharo?
>
> Also, how do you manage a lot of VMs? Is there some sort of monitoring
> and administration interface I can use? (I think that question is
> mostly directed at the seasidehosting.st folks)
> I think I saw an ESUG GSOC idea about that (
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas#h-116 ).

we would love to have that :)

> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: Remote administration of VM(s)

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Geoffroy,

I don't know about public projects, but here is what we do at Cmsbox.

We use HTTP to interact with the images from the command line (we have several hundreds images running on each server, so its a bit more convenient than using VNC ;). It is a combination of bash, curl and Seaside. On the image side we have a simple request handler that calls methods with arguments passed via query strings. From the command line we can do stuff like "cbfor beta-testers disableLogin", which sends the message #disableLogin to all images in the beta-tester group.

To manage the VM processes we use daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html), and again various scripts to automate installation, configuration, version upgrading, etc.

For monitoring we use Nagios, and Munin. Former also uses the HTTP interface to check images for their health.

Maybe the tools Andreas Brotbeck implemented for GLASS may be useful for you: http://andreas.mindclue.ch/blog/Announcing+SeaShell

HTH,
Adrian

On May 7, 2010, at 08:01 , Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there another mean of remote administration than VNC? VNC is nice,
> but if your internet connection is slow or buggy, it becomes hard to
> use. Is there a project about a command line interface (ncurses like)
> for Pharo?
>
> Also, how do you manage a lot of VMs? Is there some sort of monitoring
> and administration interface I can use? (I think that question is
> mostly directed at the seasidehosting.st folks)
> I think I saw an ESUG GSOC idea about that (
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas#h-116 ).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: Remote administration of VM(s)

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello Adrian,

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Geoffroy,
>
> I don't know about public projects, but here is what we do at Cmsbox.
>
> We use HTTP to interact with the images from the command line (we have several hundreds images running on each server, so its a bit more convenient than using VNC ;). It is a combination of bash, curl and Seaside. On the image side we have a simple request handler that calls methods with arguments passed via query strings. From the command line we can do stuff like "cbfor beta-testers disableLogin", which sends the message #disableLogin to all images in the beta-tester group.
>
> To manage the VM processes we use daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html), and again various scripts to automate installation, configuration, version upgrading, etc.
>
> For monitoring we use Nagios, and Munin. Former also uses the HTTP interface to check images for their health.
>
> Maybe the tools Andreas Brotbeck implemented for GLASS may be useful for you: http://andreas.mindclue.ch/blog/Announcing+SeaShell

Thanks for the tips!

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: Remote administration of VM(s)

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is VERY valuable information. It would be cool to have it somewhere. FAQ, website, book, I don't know.

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Geoffroy,

I don't know about public projects, but here is what we do at Cmsbox.

We use HTTP to interact with the images from the command line (we have several hundreds images running on each server, so its a bit more convenient than using VNC ;). It is a combination of bash, curl and Seaside. On the image side we have a simple request handler that calls methods with arguments passed via query strings. From the command line we can do stuff like "cbfor beta-testers disableLogin", which sends the message #disableLogin to all images in the beta-tester group.

To manage the VM processes we use daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html), and again various scripts to automate installation, configuration, version upgrading, etc.

For monitoring we use Nagios, and Munin. Former also uses the HTTP interface to check images for their health.

Maybe the tools Andreas Brotbeck implemented for GLASS may be useful for you: http://andreas.mindclue.ch/blog/Announcing+SeaShell

HTH,
Adrian

On May 7, 2010, at 08:01 , Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there another mean of remote administration than VNC? VNC is nice,
> but if your internet connection is slow or buggy, it becomes hard to
> use. Is there a project about a command line interface (ncurses like)
> for Pharo?
>
> Also, how do you manage a lot of VMs? Is there some sort of monitoring
> and administration interface I can use? (I think that question is
> mostly directed at the seasidehosting.st folks)
> I think I saw an ESUG GSOC idea about that (
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas#h-116 ).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: Remote administration of VM(s)