Remote debugger progress

Denis Kudriashov
Hello.

My name is Denis Kudriashov. I'm a new engineer in Rmod team. I'm working on remote debugger project. And I want to share a little progress on it.

Our idea is make current tools working with remote smalltalk images. We not try to build new tools but we will adapt existed ones to be able to use it for remote systems exploration. (maybe new tools will be needed but not now).

Project is based on Seamless communication layer. It is kind of remote smalltalk. I fixed and improved it to the state when debugger can be opened on shared remote process. Opening debugger api was cleaned.

Current result is kind of prove of work. It's a bit slow and sometimes hangs. Next steps will be make it fast and stable. Some work on Pharo internals will be required.

See attached video. (slowness and hangs are there :)).

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Remote debugger progress

Ben Coman
That is exciting to hear.  Potentially great for web servers and
embedded systems.
Are you consider handling/testing poor internet connections...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/130354/how-do-i-simulate-a-low-bandwidth-high-latency-environment
cheers -ben

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My name is Denis Kudriashov. I'm a new engineer in Rmod team. I'm working on
> remote debugger project. And I want to share a little progress on it.
>
> Our idea is make current tools working with remote smalltalk images. We not
> try to build new tools but we will adapt existed ones to be able to use it
> for remote systems exploration. (maybe new tools will be needed but not
> now).
>
> Project is based on Seamless communication layer. It is kind of remote
> smalltalk. I fixed and improved it to the state when debugger can be opened
> on shared remote process. Opening debugger api was cleaned.
>
> Current result is kind of prove of work. It's a bit slow and sometimes
> hangs. Next steps will be make it fast and stable. Some work on Pharo
> internals will be required.
>
> See attached video. (slowness and hangs are there :)).
>
> RemoteDebugger. Initial result
>
> Best regards,
> Denis

Re: Remote debugger progress

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is very cool Denis. I just watched the video.
I am very glad you continue Nick's project (he was coworker of mine back at Douai). We had lots of nice discussions...about proxies, about Fuel, etc etc etc.
I am happy you are now in Rmod team. Enjoy!

Best,