Remote publish (but to a hard drive)?

Fuhrmanator
Hello all,

I recently discovered Remote Publish for Playgrounds in Pharo. I'm wondering if there's a way to do the same thing, but to a specified file on my hard drive?

As it stands, much of my Roassal experiments are in the Playground and I have been saving images (!) since I could not find a "Save as..." for the text file in the Playground.

With big Moose models, saving images is overkill. The (non-lazy) alternative is to select all text in the Playground and copy/paste it into a Notepad++ file.

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

Re: Remote publish (but to a hard drive)?

Peter Uhnak
Not sure if it helps, but all playgrounds are automatically stored in play-cache directory (inside the image's directory).

Peter

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 02:45:59PM -0400, Cris Fuhrman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently discovered Remote Publish for Playgrounds in Pharo. I'm
> wondering if there's a way to do the same thing, but to a specified file on
> my hard drive?
>
> As it stands, much of my Roassal experiments are in the Playground and I
> have been saving images (!) since I could not find a "Save as..." for the
> text file in the Playground.
>
> With big Moose models, saving images is overkill. The (non-lazy)
> alternative is to select all text in the Playground and copy/paste it into
> a Notepad++ file.
>
> Cheers,
>
> C. Fuhrman

Re: Remote publish (but to a hard drive)?

Andrei Chis
If you double click on the 'Page' tab in the playground you can give the script a name. Named scripts are placed by default in the 'play-stash' folder  inside the image directory. You can also set this folder in the settings (that way all you images can place these scripts in a single location). If you then open spotter and type "#playground" it will allow you to search through those scripts and open them in a playground.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if it helps, but all playgrounds are automatically stored in play-cache directory (inside the image's directory).

Peter

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 02:45:59PM -0400, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently discovered Remote Publish for Playgrounds in Pharo. I'm
> wondering if there's a way to do the same thing, but to a specified file on
> my hard drive?
>
> As it stands, much of my Roassal experiments are in the Playground and I
> have been saving images (!) since I could not find a "Save as..." for the
> text file in the Playground.
>
> With big Moose models, saving images is overkill. The (non-lazy)
> alternative is to select all text in the Playground and copy/paste it into
> a Notepad++ file.
>
> Cheers,
>
> C. Fuhrman

Re: Remote publish (but to a hard drive)?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

You can also use Grafoscopio[1] to store all your playgrounds in a single notebook and to document them and give them context.

[1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Grafoscopio

Cheers,

Offray

On 14/03/17 13:45, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
Hello all,

I recently discovered Remote Publish for Playgrounds in Pharo. I'm wondering if there's a way to do the same thing, but to a specified file on my hard drive?

As it stands, much of my Roassal experiments are in the Playground and I have been saving images (!) since I could not find a "Save as..." for the text file in the Playground.

With big Moose models, saving images is overkill. The (non-lazy) alternative is to select all text in the Playground and copy/paste it into a Notepad++ file.

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

Re: Remote publish (but to a hard drive)?

Fuhrmanator
Thanks for all the insight. I saw that much of this is documented in the Pharo by Example (chapter 8) http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/updated-pharo-by-example/2017-01-14-UpdatedPharoByExample.pdf.

As a "seasoned" beginner I have discovered the following Pharo "workflows":
  1. Playground-only coding, with manual saves of (versions) of text to a text-editor (and maybe images if some MSE changes occur and you don't want to re-do loading manually after a crash).
  2. Nautilus editor coding of package/class/methods with saves of images from time to time.
    I created a Google Doc that has some screen shots and instructions on how to create a package/class/method (as well as making modifications) in a Moose-only context. It's open for comments at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uavcMJxiyD7a7qXUsNDXNgIe53DiBZ5xp4pQFuAh4cQ/edit?usp=sharing
  3. Workflow #2 with Monticello (saving changes in a remote repo).
Any advice for when (under what conditions) it is recommended that one save a new image in workflow #2 with Moose?

Otherwise, am I missing any other "agile" workflow that others commonly use with Moose?

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Cris,

For the first point of your workflow you may try Grafoscopio. It creates notebooks with text notes and interactive scripts that are compose of code playgrounds.

Cheers,

Offray

On 16/03/17 11:05, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
[...]

Hi Offray,

Yeah, I started to install it yesterday but had to interrupt it for a shut-down. I'm waiting for it to install now. The web page at http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html looks promising.

Cheers,

C. Fuhrman

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your interest Cris. Look at the user manual at [1], if you want to see detailed instructions:

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/Manual/manual.pdf

Cheers,

Offray