RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

NorbertHartl
Hi,

this is my first post to this list. I don't know
if this is the right place to write. I tried the
RemoteFrameBuffer package from SqueakMap. It didn't
work. I needed only to change a few things to get
it running. I hope this changes are right.

I don't know the usual procedure to do notification
of bugs/applying code, etc. So I attach the changeset
to this mail. Maybe it is of interest for anyone.

regards,

Norbert

RFB-3.9.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is my first post to this list. I don't know

Welcome to the community. :)

> if this is the right place to write. I tried the

It almost always is the "right place" - even when its not the *primary*
place, it still is a good place being the kitchen-sink for all things
Squeak. :)

> RemoteFrameBuffer package from SqueakMap. It didn't
> work. I needed only to change a few things to get
> it running. I hope this changes are right.
>
> I don't know the usual procedure to do notification
> of bugs/applying code, etc. So I attach the changeset
> to this mail. Maybe it is of interest for anyone.
>
> regards,
>
> Norbert

Just as information to others - if its about bugs and fixes to the base
image - then Mantis (http://bugs.impara.de) is the place to register
bugs and/or upload fixes.

But this is a package installed from SqueakMap and then it is probably
best to contact the maintainer/owner or one of any plausible
co-maintainers. For RemoteFrameBuffer this equals Ian Piumarta:

        http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/RemoteFrameBuffer

Ian does not really track squeak-dev I think - so a personal mail might
be best to get his attention.

Still - it was not IMHO "wrong" to post to the list. :)

regards, Göran

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 23:19 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is my first post to this list. I don't know
>
> Welcome to the community. :)

thanks. I started last month posting to newbies. Than a
few weeks ago to seaside list. To keep my career in a
steep manor I thought this would be the best to do ;)

> > if this is the right place to write. I tried the
>
> It almost always is the "right place" - even when its not the *primary*
> place, it still is a good place being the kitchen-sink for all things
> Squeak. :)
>
> > RemoteFrameBuffer package from SqueakMap. It didn't
> > work. I needed only to change a few things to get
> > it running. I hope this changes are right.
> >
> > I don't know the usual procedure to do notification
> > of bugs/applying code, etc. So I attach the changeset
> > to this mail. Maybe it is of interest for anyone.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Norbert
>
> Just as information to others - if its about bugs and fixes to the base
> image - then Mantis (http://bugs.impara.de) is the place to register
> bugs and/or upload fixes.
>
> But this is a package installed from SqueakMap and then it is probably
> best to contact the maintainer/owner or one of any plausible
> co-maintainers. For RemoteFrameBuffer this equals Ian Piumarta:
>
> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/RemoteFrameBuffer

Ok, understood.

> Ian does not really track squeak-dev I think - so a personal mail might
> be best to get his attention.

I'll do.

> Still - it was not IMHO "wrong" to post to the list. :)

I'm so glad to here that :)

thanks,

Norbert

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

NorbertHartl
> Ian does not really track squeak-dev I think - so a personal mail might
> be best to get his attention.

I tried. I found the inria.fr and a lip6.fr mail adresse. But
both of them are not reachable. What's the best idea to deal
with this issue.

thanks,

Norbert

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

Joshua Gargus-2
Ian's most recent post to this mailing list used the address
[hidden email].  You might try that.

Josh

On Jan 27, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

>> Ian does not really track squeak-dev I think - so a personal mail
>> might
>> be best to get his attention.
>>
> I tried. I found the inria.fr and a lip6.fr mail adresse. But
> both of them are not reachable. What's the best idea to deal
> with this issue.
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

Brad Fuller-3
I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but the following code
makes RFB work for v3.9, thanks to Norbert.

If it is correct (and the seaside people should know this since they are
mostly using v3.9), shouldn't this be used to create an updated version
of RFB?

brad

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is my first post to this list. I don't know
> if this is the right place to write. I tried the
> RemoteFrameBuffer package from SqueakMap. It didn't
> work. I needed only to change a few things to get
> it running. I hope this changes are right.
>
> I don't know the usual procedure to do notification
> of bugs/applying code, etc. So I attach the changeset
> to this mail. Maybe it is of interest for anyone.
>
> regards,
>
> Norbert

> 'From Squeak3.9 of 7 November 2006 [latest update: #7067] on 18 January 2007 at 9:26:45 pm'!
> !RFBPixelFormat methodsFor: 'private' stamp: 'noha 1/18/2007 21:21'!
> setOrderMap: serverFormat
> "Set the ColorMap used to convert local byte order to viewer byte order.  This map is effective only when sending an entire Bitmap to the remote viewer.  (Individual pixel values are always sent in big-endian order; see RFBStream{16,32}>>nextPutPixel:.)"
> orderMap _ bigEndian == SmalltalkImage current isBigEndian "no map if byte order is commensurate"
> ifFalse:
> [bitsPerPixel == 16
> ifTrue: [ColorMap
> masks: #(16r00FF 16rFF00 0 0)
> shifts: #(8 -8 0 0)]
> ifFalse: [bitsPerPixel == 32
> ifTrue: [ColorMap
> masks: #(16r000000FF 16r0000FF00 16r00FF0000 16rFF000000)
> shifts: #(24 8 -8 -24)]]]! !
> !RFBPixelFormat class methodsFor: 'instance creation' stamp: 'noha 1/18/2007 21:17'!
> forForm: aForm
> "Answer a pixel format describing the pixels in aForm, in host byte order."
> ^self new forForm: aForm bigEndian: SmalltalkImage current isBigEndian! !
> !RFBSession methodsFor: 'private' stamp: 'noha 1/18/2007 21:20'!
> desktopName
> "Answer the name of the desktop, constructed from the image, host and platform names."
> "RFBSession new desktopName"
> ^String streamContents: [:stream |
> stream
> nextPutAll: (FileDirectory default localNameFor: SmalltalkImage current imageName);
> nextPut: $@;
> nextPutAll: server localHostName;
> nextPutAll: ' [';
> nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current platformName; space; nextPutAll: SmalltalkImage current osVersion;
> nextPut: $].
> interactive ifFalse: [stream nextPutAll: ' - view only']]! !

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 16:35 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but the following code
> makes RFB work for v3.9, thanks to Norbert.
>
> If it is correct (and the seaside people should know this since they are
> mostly using v3.9), shouldn't this be used to create an updated version
> of RFB?

What should an upstream version look like? I was asking
myself how a change like "Smalltalk becomes SmalltalkImage current"
can be solved so it can be run in 3.8 and 3.9. I tried to
contact Ian but got no response. I prepared a monticello
version with the changed stuff. But then I recognized there is
already a squeaksource project for RFB. It is maintained by
Ian and Andreas I guess. And it is not writable. After that
I was busy and forgot about it.

Maybe Andreas could open the squeaksource project for anyone
to put a new version there.

Thanks for reactivating :)

N.

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

stephane ducasse
may be you can create another project so that other people can
benefit from your fixes and
if one day you get a reply then people can still merge your code.

Please do it :)
Stef

stephane ducasse wrote:
> may be you can create another project so that other people can benefit
> from your fixes and
> if one day you get a reply then people can still merge your code.
>
> Please do it :)
> Stef

good idea. I couldn't get RFB working on 3.9 so I searched the archives
and found 2 messages that had almost the same fix. But, it would have
been easier and less frustrating if it was on squeaksource.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: RemoteFrameBuffer running on 3.9

Michael Davies-2
On 17/02/07, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but the following code
> makes RFB work for v3.9, thanks to Norbert.
>
> If it is correct (and the seaside people should know this since they are
> mostly using v3.9), shouldn't this be used to create an updated version
> of RFB?
>
> brad

Hi Brad,
I'd picked this up as well. I added the fix into Mantis as a response
to a bug report from September last year:
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5043 .

I've contacted Ian and Andreas asking if this fix can be incorporated
into an RFB package, and Andreas emailed me a couple of days ago to
say that he would have a chat with Ian, so they may have this in hand
already.

Thanks,
Michael

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 15:42 +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:
> may be you can create another project so that other people can
> benefit from your fixes and
> if one day you get a reply then people can still merge your code.
>
> Please do it :)

No need to do. Ian has replied to my mail. He thinks he
will have some time soon to fix it.

To create a new project for such a simple fix will pollute
the list of projects on squeaksource very quick. But I think
you are right, this is even better than not to share code.
Is there a way to use a bug tracker for this? I think it
would be a good idea for people to contribute fixes via the
bug tracker. People can find it there and project leader
can integrate fixes from there.

Norbert