Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there!

What do you think about removing all empty system categories (resp. class categories) and message categories after loading code?

Only for Squeak update?
Also for any Monticello merge/load?

Would anybody miss those empty categories?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Levente Uzonyi
On Mon, 9 May 2016, marcel.taeumel wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> What do you think about removing all empty system categories (resp. class
> categories) and message categories after loading code?
>
> Only for Squeak update?
> Also for any Monticello merge/load?

I think such removal is part of the release process.

Levente

> Would anybody miss those empty categories?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Karl Ramberg
There are some empty categories as Preferences "see class side" etc. :-(
I'm not sure how many categories are like that.

Best,
Karl

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016, marcel.taeumel wrote:

Hi, there!

What do you think about removing all empty system categories (resp. class
categories) and message categories after loading code?

Only for Squeak update?
Also for any Monticello merge/load?

I think such removal is part of the release process.

Levente

Would anybody miss those empty categories?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Chris Muller-3
Maybe make it part of a #shrink / #cleanUp process...

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:22 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> What do you think about removing all empty system categories (resp. class
> categories) and message categories after loading code?
>
> Only for Squeak update?
> Also for any Monticello merge/load?
>
> Would anybody miss those empty categories?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

Such a shrinking would then happen in the ReleaseBuilder? Do we do that for a release or should we?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Chris Muller-3
Yes.  IIRC, there is a boolean argument allowing two levels of
shrinkage, for release, we pass false to allow the more-conservative
form of shrinkage.  We could put this clean up on that or as part of
the more-aggressive shrink...

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 10:16 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> Such a shrinking would then happen in the ReleaseBuilder? Do we do that for
> a release or should we?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Remove all empty message/class categories after code update

Levente Uzonyi
SystemOrganizer class >> #cleanUp: and ClassOrganizer class >> #cleanUp:
will do that when the argument is true, which is done in RealseBuilder
class >> #prepareNewBuild:.

Levente