Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi all

Cyrille cleaned SmallDictionary and check tests (169 now)
Now he wanted to remove SmallDictionary before loading his new version
and
when we do that the image simply freezes....

And there is no references beside a tests
there are no instances.

So either the reference finder is broken or I do not get it.
Does anybody has an idea what could be problem?

Philippe I remember that during the sprint you got a strange strange
behavior with SmallDictionary already
and that we had to split that into chunks.

update10365
        "self new update10365"

self withUpdateLog:'- Step 1 of 3 (change superclass)
- Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
Dictionary)
- http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
        self script443.

        self flushCaches.

self withUpdateLog:'- Step 2 of 3 (change methods)
- Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
Dictionary)
- http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
        self script444.

        self flushCaches.

self withUpdateLog:'- Step 3 of 3 (remove methods)
- Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
Dictionary)
- http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
        self script445.

        self flushCaches.

Re: Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Adrian Lienhard
SmallIdentityDictionary is a subclass and has 1768 instances.

Adrian

On Jul 20, 2009, at 10:41 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Cyrille cleaned SmallDictionary and check tests (169 now)
> Now he wanted to remove SmallDictionary before loading his new version
> and
> when we do that the image simply freezes....
>
> And there is no references beside a tests
> there are no instances.
>
> So either the reference finder is broken or I do not get it.
> Does anybody has an idea what could be problem?
>
> Philippe I remember that during the sprint you got a strange strange
> behavior with SmallDictionary already
> and that we had to split that into chunks.
>
> update10365
> "self new update10365"
>
> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 1 of 3 (change superclass)
> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
> Dictionary)
> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
> self script443.
>
> self flushCaches.
>

> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 2 of 3 (change methods)
> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
> Dictionary)
> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
> self script444.
>
> self flushCaches.
>
> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 3 of 3 (remove methods)
> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
> Dictionary)
> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
> self script445.
>
> self flushCaches.
>

> Stef

Re: Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok morph Extension of course.
But I can remove SmallIdentityDictionary without any problem.

May be instances are migrated to SmallDictionary then

> SmallIdentityDictionary is a subclass and has 1768 instances.
>
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 10:41 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Cyrille cleaned SmallDictionary and check tests (169 now)
>> Now he wanted to remove SmallDictionary before loading his new
>> version
>> and
>> when we do that the image simply freezes....
>>
>> And there is no references beside a tests
>> there are no instances.
>>
>> So either the reference finder is broken or I do not get it.
>> Does anybody has an idea what could be problem?
>>
>> Philippe I remember that during the sprint you got a strange strange
>> behavior with SmallDictionary already
>> and that we had to split that into chunks.
>>
>> update10365
>> "self new update10365"
>>
>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 1 of 3 (change superclass)
>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>> Dictionary)
>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>> self script443.
>>
>> self flushCaches.
>>

>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 2 of 3 (change methods)
>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>> Dictionary)
>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>> self script444.
>>
>> self flushCaches.
>>
>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 3 of 3 (remove methods)
>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>> Dictionary)
>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>> self script445.
>>
>> self flushCaches.
>>

>> Stef

Re: Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Marcus Denker-3

On 20.07.2009, at 05:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Ok morph Extension of course.
> But I can remove SmallIdentityDictionary without any problem.

Yes, we should migrate all existing extensions back to a normal
dictionary.

        Marcus

> May be instances are migrated to SmallDictionary then
>
>> SmallIdentityDictionary is a subclass and has 1768 instances.
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Jul 20, 2009, at 10:41 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Cyrille cleaned SmallDictionary and check tests (169 now)
>>> Now he wanted to remove SmallDictionary before loading his new
>>> version
>>> and
>>> when we do that the image simply freezes....
>>>
>>> And there is no references beside a tests
>>> there are no instances.
>>>
>>> So either the reference finder is broken or I do not get it.
>>> Does anybody has an idea what could be problem?
>>>
>>> Philippe I remember that during the sprint you got a strange strange
>>> behavior with SmallDictionary already
>>> and that we had to split that into chunks.
>>>
>>> update10365
>>> "self new update10365"
>>>
>>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 1 of 3 (change superclass)
>>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>>> Dictionary)
>>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>>> self script443.
>>>
>>> self flushCaches.
>>>

>>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 2 of 3 (change methods)
>>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>>> Dictionary)
>>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>>> self script444.
>>>
>>> self flushCaches.
>>>
>>> self withUpdateLog:'- Step 3 of 3 (remove methods)
>>> - Issue 463: SmallDictionary should not be a subclass of Set (and
>>> Dictionary)
>>> - http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=463'.
>>> self script445.
>>>
>>> self flushCaches.
>>>

>>> Stef

Re: Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Stéphane Ducasse
Why SmallDictionary is faster for small number of item
and now we even have tests for it.
I'm about to intergate that.

Stef

On 20.07.2009, at 08:40, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Why SmallDictionary is faster for small number of item
> and now we even have tests for it.
> I'm about to intergate that.

Ah, ok. I thought is was about removing it...

        Marcus

> Stef
>
>>> Ok morph Extension of course.
>>> But I can remove SmallIdentityDictionary without any problem.
>>>
>> Yes, we should migrate all existing extensions back to a normal
>> dictionary.
>>
>> Marcus
>>

>>> May be instances are migrated to SmallDictionary then

Re: Removing SmallDictionary freezes the image

Stéphane Ducasse
In fact I just tried because I thought that they were not used but
they are :)

Stef