Removing closure compiler from amberc

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi everyone,

in one of the latest changes the deploy mode for JS files has been removed by Nico since it was used inconsistently.
While doing these changes the code for optimizing these files was removed, too.

In a comment [1] on the change I proposed to entirely remove the code for running the closure compiler from amberc.
This would clean up the code for amberc and it would then be possible to use grunt tasks to achieve this behavior which results in a wider variety of optimizers to choose from.
Those are for example: UglifyJS[2], RequireJS optimizer [3], Google Closure [4].

On the RequireJS side is already being worked on currently.
But using the other ones usually shouldn't be a big problem.

What do you guys think of this change?
I'll provide a pull request some time later.

Best,
Manfred

 [1] https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/commit/523567b3c53794a4929333cf3c90f9ca2ab72b3d#commitcomment-3965396

Re: Removing closure compiler from amberc

Nicolas Petton
Yes, I think it's the way to go. I'll review the pull req.

Nico
Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> writes:

> The pull request is now open for comments:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/pull/683
>
> Best,
> Manfred
>

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Manfred Kröhnert <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> in one of the latest changes the deploy mode for JS files has been removed
>> by Nico since it was used inconsistently.
>> While doing these changes the code for optimizing these files was removed,
>> too.
>>
>> In a comment [1] on the change I proposed to entirely remove the code for
>> running the closure compiler from amberc.
>> This would clean up the code for amberc and it would then be possible to
>> use grunt tasks to achieve this behavior which results in a wider variety
>> of optimizers to choose from.
>> Those are for example: UglifyJS[2], RequireJS optimizer [3], Google
>> Closure [4].
>>
>> On the RequireJS side is already being worked on currently.
>> But using the other ones usually shouldn't be a big problem.
>>
>> What do you guys think of this change?
>> I'll provide a pull request some time later.
>>
>> Best,
>> Manfred
>>

>>  [1]
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/commit/523567b3c53794a4929333cf3c90f9ca2ab72b3d#commitcomment-3965396