classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rename package and Iceberg

Vitor Medina Cruz
Hello,

How is the correct/safe way of renaming a packages so that it is reflected in the Iceberg repository?

I have made that sometimes but got out of sync with Iceberg and it was very hard to fix: I had to change files by hand, and then load back in the image, so wanna to avoid that.

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rename package and Iceberg

gcotelli
You need to open the repository view, add your new packages using the Add Package button and remove the old ones with the contextual menu.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:27 AM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

How is the correct/safe way of renaming a packages so that it is reflected in the Iceberg repository?

I have made that sometimes but got out of sync with Iceberg and it was very hard to fix: I had to change files by hand, and then load back in the image, so wanna to avoid that.

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vitor Medina Cruz
So you mean I should change the package name and add the renamed package as a new one into Inceberg? The problem with this is that the history will be compromised, as it will see it as exclusion and then inclusion of several new classes instead of simply changes in existing ones.

Isn't a way o doing that keeping the correct history of changes?

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:33 AM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
You need to open the repository view, add your new packages using the Add Package button and remove the old ones with the contextual menu.

Hello,

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

gcotelli
If you add the new packages and remove the old ones the history will be ok. For example: https://github.com/ba-st/Willow/pull/160/files , and don't forget to update your baseline.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:48 AM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
So you mean I should change the package name and add the renamed package as a new one into Inceberg? The problem with this is that the history will be compromised, as it will see it as exclusion and then inclusion of several new classes instead of simply changes in existing ones.

Hello,

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vitor Medina Cruz
Humm, you are right, in git it is correct, but strangely iceberg seems to think otherwise:

image.png

image.png

image.png

I will do that so, but this behavior in Iceberg seems an errorto me, or don't? Should I open an issue for this?

Regards,
Vitor.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you add the new packages and remove the old ones the history will be ok. For example: https://github.com/ba-st/Willow/pull/160/files , and don't forget to update your baseline.

Hello,

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

gcotelli
Iceberg is showing what will happen with the files on the repository. Git is pretty good inferring that it was a rename (because the folders changed too), unless you also change the code in the same commit that you made the rename. I don't think its a bug but I will create a new improvement issue for Iceberg: to improve on one side the package rename case (because having to do it manually is painful), and on the other hand the diff can be more intelligent in those cases.

Regards,
Gabriel

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Humm, you are right, in git it is correct, but strangely iceberg seems to think otherwise:

image.png

image.png

image.png

I will do that so, but this behavior in Iceberg seems an errorto me, or don't? Should I open an issue for this?

Regards,
Vitor.

Hello,

Regards,
Vitor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vitor Medina Cruz
Ok, thanks!

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Iceberg is showing what will happen with the files on the repository. Git is pretty good inferring that it was a rename (because the folders changed too), unless you also change the code in the same commit that you made the rename. I don't think its a bug but I will create a new improvement issue for Iceberg: to improve on one side the package rename case (because having to do it manually is painful), and on the other hand the diff can be more intelligent in those cases.

Regards,
Gabriel

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Regards,
Vitor.

Hello,

Regards,
Vitor.