Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel
Hi there,

we have a system version: "SystemVersion current". For trunk images, it used to say 'Squeak4.1alpha' or something like it. Right now, it doesn't even add the 'alpha' suffix.

Can we change that to 'SqueakTrunk'? What would break? Right now, SystemVersion works with a string rather than major/minor numbers. I assume that there is some code that parses that string. Metacello does that, for example.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Tobias Pape

On 22.06.2016, at 11:24, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we have a system version: "SystemVersion current". For trunk images, it used
> to say 'Squeak4.1alpha' or something like it. Right now, it doesn't even add
> the 'alpha' suffix.
>
> Can we change that to 'SqueakTrunk'? What would break? Right now,
> SystemVersion works with a string rather than major/minor numbers. I assume
> that there is some code that parses that string. Metacello does that, for
> example.
> Any thoughts?

Yes.

SystemVersion current  should give the following

for 4.6 Squeak4.6
for 5.0 Squeak5.0
for trunk Squeak5.1alpha (or Squeak5.1trunk if it must be, but please Squeak{stable+1}{dev-indicator})

Best
        -Tobias

> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel
Tobias Pape wrote
On 22.06.2016, at 11:24, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we have a system version: "SystemVersion current". For trunk images, it used
> to say 'Squeak4.1alpha' or something like it. Right now, it doesn't even add
> the 'alpha' suffix.
>
> Can we change that to 'SqueakTrunk'? What would break? Right now,
> SystemVersion works with a string rather than major/minor numbers. I assume
> that there is some code that parses that string. Metacello does that, for
> example.
> Any thoughts?

Yes.

SystemVersion current  should give the following

for 4.6 Squeak4.6
for 5.0 Squeak5.0
for trunk Squeak5.1alpha (or Squeak5.1trunk if it must be, but please Squeak{stable+1}{dev-indicator})

Best
        -Tobias

> Best,
> Marcel
Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them as (Git) tags.

Squeak5.1alpha
Squeak5.1beta
Squeak5.1rc1
Squeak5.1rc2
Squeak5.1rtm
Squeak5.2alpha
Squeak6.0alpha
Squeak6.0beta

Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can jump. So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.

Alpha = Open to any code submittions
Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release

Would this work?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Hannes Hirzel
+1 Makes sense.

BTW, what does Rtm stand for?
And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
time to time?

As Tobias writes

    SystemVersion current

does not return an 'alpha' suffix, this should be fixed.

--Hannes

On 25.06.2016, at 13:05, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Makes sense.
>
> BTW, what does Rtm stand for?
> And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
> time to time?

Should be an additional digit, right?

4.5.1 or 5.1.2, for example.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> [...]

>>> Squeak{stable+1}{dev-indicator})
>>>
>>> Best
>>> -Tobias

>> Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them as
>> (Git) tags.

>> Squeak5.1alpha
>> Squeak5.1beta
>> Squeak5.1rc1
>> Squeak5.1rc2
>> Squeak5.1rtm
>> Squeak5.2alpha
>> Squeak6.0alpha
>> Squeak6.0beta
>>
>> Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can jump.
>> So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.
>>
>> Alpha = Open to any code submittions
>> Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
>> Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
>> Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release

Would it make sense to keep track of the release build number and show the current increment in a separate way? Releases are basically branches from Trunk. E.g.:

source.squeak.org/trunk
source.squeak.org/squeak50

At release time, the code base is identical. Then, things might get cherry-picked from trunk into the release branch (here "squeak50"). Then, the summative build number would be confusing because "14023" in squeak50 is not the same as it is in trunk.

What about doing it like GitHub branches and show "number of commits your are behind the main branch"? It could displayed like this:

"Squeak 5.0 (Build 14000 +23/-324)"

This means that the current image is a release image, created from trunk build 14000. There were 23 fixes in this branch since then and current Trunk is already 324 builds ahead.

What do you think?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Jakob Reschke-2

> Would it make sense to keep track of the release build number and show the
> current increment in a separate way? Releases are basically branches from
> Trunk. E.g.:
>
> source.squeak.org/trunk
> source.squeak.org/squeak50
>
> At release time, the code base is identical. Then, things might get
> cherry-picked from trunk into the release branch (here "squeak50"). Then,
> the summative build number would be confusing because "14023" in squeak50 is
> not the same as it is in trunk.
>
> What about doing it like GitHub branches and show "number of commits your
> are behind the main branch"? It could displayed like this:
>
> "Squeak 5.0 (Build 14000 +23/-324)"
>
> This means that the current image is a release image, created from trunk
> build 14000. There were 23 fixes in this branch since then and current Trunk
> is already 324 builds ahead.
>
> What do you think?

That looks very cryptic to me. IMHO, if you need to see your build's
detailed relation to the initial release or the current trunk, you
should ask the SCM system (Monticello) itself. If I were a newcomer,
these +/- numbers would confuse me when I want to download a specific
image version from the website. I would not expect someone to read a
manual to understand the version numbering.

For reference, in the Maven/Java world, artifacts get a version
suffixed with -SNAPSHOT until you do a "release". If you have an
artifact with a version of 1.2.3-SNAPSHOT you know that there will be
dozens of other builds with the same version number because the
snapshot suffix indicates that this number "1.2.3" has not been fixed
yet. That is, it is semantically equivalent to your current notion of
(or suffix) "trunk". If you do a release, you strip the -SNAPSHOT from
the version number (or rather jump to the intended fixed version
number), commit, tag, publish that version, then bump the version
number and append -SNAPSHOT again. The fixed version labelled "1.2.3"
is not expected to ever change again, so if you download one of these
artifacts, you can be quite sure it is identical to other "1.2.3"s of
that artifact you download later. I consider this a sufficient scheme
in many cases. However, it does not map to an alpha-beta-rc process,
unless you put that into the less significant parts of the version
number (which makes comparing versions harder for machines).

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel
Jakob Reschke wrote

> Would it make sense to keep track of the release build number and show the
> current increment in a separate way? Releases are basically branches from
> Trunk. E.g.:
>
> source.squeak.org/trunk
> source.squeak.org/squeak50
>
> At release time, the code base is identical. Then, things might get
> cherry-picked from trunk into the release branch (here "squeak50"). Then,
> the summative build number would be confusing because "14023" in squeak50 is
> not the same as it is in trunk.
>
> What about doing it like GitHub branches and show "number of commits your
> are behind the main branch"? It could displayed like this:
>
> "Squeak 5.0 (Build 14000 +23/-324)"
>
> This means that the current image is a release image, created from trunk
> build 14000. There were 23 fixes in this branch since then and current Trunk
> is already 324 builds ahead.
>
> What do you think?

That looks very cryptic to me. IMHO, if you need to see your build's
detailed relation to the initial release or the current trunk, you
should ask the SCM system (Monticello) itself. If I were a newcomer,
these +/- numbers would confuse me when I want to download a specific
image version from the website. I would not expect someone to read a
manual to understand the version numbering.

For reference, in the Maven/Java world, artifacts get a version
suffixed with -SNAPSHOT until you do a "release". If you have an
artifact with a version of 1.2.3-SNAPSHOT you know that there will be
dozens of other builds with the same version number because the
snapshot suffix indicates that this number "1.2.3" has not been fixed
yet. That is, it is semantically equivalent to your current notion of
(or suffix) "trunk". If you do a release, you strip the -SNAPSHOT from
the version number (or rather jump to the intended fixed version
number), commit, tag, publish that version, then bump the version
number and append -SNAPSHOT again. The fixed version labelled "1.2.3"
is not expected to ever change again, so if you download one of these
artifacts, you can be quite sure it is identical to other "1.2.3"s of
that artifact you download later. I consider this a sufficient scheme
in many cases. However, it does not map to an alpha-beta-rc process,
unless you put that into the less significant parts of the version
number (which makes comparing versions harder for machines).
Hi Jakob,

you're right. This information would have to appear in the file name of the downloads on the website. Hmm... right now, our build number is the sum of all MCZ versions in the trunk update stream. The goal here is to find a simple solution for that branching thing. Maybe the combination of release number and build number is enough to discriminate.

I do not quite get your example about Maven/Java. I think that you relate to the ideas of suffixing the Trunk versions with alpha, beta, rc1, ..., rcn, alpha, ... However, my previous comment addresses the naming of release versions only and the role of the respective build number. :-)

I think that an alternative to summing up the MCZ versions could be to only show the most recent commit date/time of the packages in the update map.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Jakob Reschke-2
I didn't want to touch the build numbers issue directly because I did
not read all of that recent, related discussion about the VM versions.

What is the purpose of each number? I thought the release version
number ("5.1", "5.2 Trunk", ...) exists for publicity reasons and to
find out if you should consider to "upgrade" your Squeak. The build
number allows you to refer to a specific version/configuration, mainly
for issue hunting, right? Can't we treat build numbers and release
numbers independently from each other then? If yes, we could simply
apply the Maven style version numbering (with "mutable" and
"immutable" versions) to the release version numbers. It is very
similar to what Tobias suggested, though, so you might as well
consider my Maven paragraph as supporting Tobias' suggestion. ;-)
"Squeak x.y" then just happens to also have a build number z, by
chance. That's the current situation anyway, is it? If the release
branch is updated, I would prefer if the patch number of that release
were increased at the same time, instead of referring to a different
build number for that release from now on.

I don't know how an update map is made up, but would it be possible to
version its configuration/state just like regular configurations,
packages, or baselines? Then you could just use its SCM version number
(hash/uuid, consecutive number if available, or timestamp) instead of
summing up contained version numbers.

> [...]
> downloads on the website. Hmm... right now, our build number is the sum of
> all MCZ versions in the trunk update stream. The goal here is to find a
> simple solution for that branching thing. Maybe the combination of release
> number and build number is enough to discriminate.
>
> I do not quite get your example about Maven/Java. I think that you relate to
> the ideas of suffixing the Trunk versions with alpha, beta, rc1, ..., rcn,
> alpha, ... However, my previous comment addresses the naming of release
> versions only and the role of the respective build number. :-)
>
> I think that an alternative to summing up the MCZ versions could be to only
> show the most recent commit date/time of the packages in the update map.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 4:05 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Makes sense.

BTW, what does Rtm stand for?

I'd like to know this too.  No one seems to have answered this yet.  What does "Rtm" mean?  I know what RTFM means.  Doesn't seem to fit here ;-)

And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
time to time?

As Tobias writes

    SystemVersion current

does not return an 'alpha' suffix, this should be fixed.

--Hannes

On 6/22/16, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tobias Pape wrote
>> On 22.06.2016, at 11:24, marcel.taeumel &lt;
>
>> Marcel.Taeumel@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> we have a system version: "SystemVersion current". For trunk images, it
>>> used
>>> to say 'Squeak4.1alpha' or something like it. Right now, it doesn't even
>>> add
>>> the 'alpha' suffix.
>>>
>>> Can we change that to 'SqueakTrunk'? What would break? Right now,
>>> SystemVersion works with a string rather than major/minor numbers. I
>>> assume
>>> that there is some code that parses that string. Metacello does that,
>>> for
>>> example.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> SystemVersion current  should give the following
>>
>> for 4.6              Squeak4.6
>> for 5.0              Squeak5.0
>> for trunk    Squeak5.1alpha  (or Squeak5.1trunk if it must be, but please
>> Squeak{stable+1}{dev-indicator})
>>
>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>>

>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>
> Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them as
> (Git) tags.

> Squeak5.1alpha
> Squeak5.1beta
> Squeak5.1rc1
> Squeak5.1rc2
> Squeak5.1rtm
> Squeak5.2alpha
> Squeak6.0alpha
> Squeak6.0beta
>
> Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can jump.
> So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.
>
> Alpha = Open to any code submittions
> Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
> Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
> Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release
>
> Would this work?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Ben Coman
Release To Manfacture

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 4:05 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 Makes sense.
>>
>> BTW, what does Rtm stand for?
>

> I'd like to know this too.  No one seems to have answered this yet.  What
> does "Rtm" mean?  I know what RTFM means.  Doesn't seem to fit here ;-)
>

>> And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
>> time to time?
>>
>> As Tobias writes
>>
>>     SystemVersion current
>>

>> does not return an 'alpha' suffix, this should be fixed.
>>

>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 6/22/16, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Tobias Pape wrote

>> > Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them
>> > as
>> > (Git) tags.

>> > Squeak5.1alpha
>> > Squeak5.1beta
>> > Squeak5.1rc1
>> > Squeak5.1rc2
>> > Squeak5.1rtm
>> > Squeak5.2alpha
>> > Squeak6.0alpha
>> > Squeak6.0beta
>> >
>> > Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can
>> > jump.
>> > So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.
>> >
>> > Alpha = Open to any code submittions
>> > Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
>> > Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
>> > Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release
>> >
>> > Would this work?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Marcel
>> >

>> > --

> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Release To Manfacture

I much prefer "final".

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

John Pfersich-2
Rtm - release to manufacturing

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 27, 2016, at 10:01, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 4:05 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Makes sense.

BTW, what does Rtm stand for?

I'd like to know this too.  No one seems to have answered this yet.  What does "Rtm" mean?  I know what RTFM means.  Doesn't seem to fit here ;-)

And how will minor maintenance releases be marked, which happen from
time to time?

As Tobias writes

    SystemVersion current

does not return an 'alpha' suffix, this should be fixed.

--Hannes

On 6/22/16, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tobias Pape wrote
>> On 22.06.2016, at 11:24, marcel.taeumel &lt;
>
>> Marcel.Taeumel@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> we have a system version: "SystemVersion current". For trunk images, it
>>> used
>>> to say 'Squeak4.1alpha' or something like it. Right now, it doesn't even
>>> add
>>> the 'alpha' suffix.
>>>
>>> Can we change that to 'SqueakTrunk'? What would break? Right now,
>>> SystemVersion works with a string rather than major/minor numbers. I
>>> assume
>>> that there is some code that parses that string. Metacello does that,
>>> for
>>> example.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> SystemVersion current  should give the following
>>
>> for 4.6              Squeak4.6
>> for 5.0              Squeak5.0
>> for trunk    Squeak5.1alpha  (or Squeak5.1trunk if it must be, but please
>> Squeak{stable+1}{dev-indicator})
>>
>> Best
>>      -Tobias
>>

>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>
> Okay, we good improve the version number in trunk images and treat them as
> (Git) tags.

> Squeak5.1alpha
> Squeak5.1beta
> Squeak5.1rc1
> Squeak5.1rc2
> Squeak5.1rtm
> Squeak5.2alpha
> Squeak6.0alpha
> Squeak6.0beta
>
> Even if we decide to not make a minor release but a major the tag can jump.
> So, any suffix after the version number indicates the trunk stream.
>
> Alpha = Open to any code submittions
> Beta = Feature freeze, bug fixes only
> Rc1...n = Some bugs fixed, next try
> Rtm = Full code freeze, will be the one to release
>
> Would this work?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Release To Manfacture

I much prefer "final".

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Best,
Marcel

On 28.06.2016, at 09:36, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ben Coman &lt;
>
>> btc@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Release To Manfacture
>>>

>> I much prefer "final".
>>

>>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Eliot Miranda &lt;
>
>> eliot.miranda@
>
>> &gt;

>> hannes.hirzel@
>
>> &gt;

>>> What

>> Marcel.Taeumel@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> images,
>>> doesn't
>>> I
>>> that,
>>> them
>>> can
>>> http://forum.world.st/Renaming-Squeak-s-system-version-from-Squeak-alpha-to-SqueakTrunk-tp4902398p4902424.html

>> --
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot
>
> RTM is not needed. After rc_n comes alpha plus the release with no suffix.

I thought alpha always precedes rc's?

:D

> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

fniephaus
How about:

- final (new release)
---------------------------
- alpha + build number
- beta + build number (as soon as there is a release manager / we are working towards a new release)
- rc1, rc2, ... (release candidates built or approved by release manager)
- final (new release)
---------------------------

If we agree that the next version should be called for example 5.2, it will be called 5.2 all along the release process except if we decide it should be a major release. Then we do the renaming in or after the release candidate phase. Example: 5.2 alpha-X, 5.2 beta-X, [ major release decision ], 6.0 RC1, 6.0 Final.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28.06.2016, at 09:36, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ben Coman &lt;
>
>> btc@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Release To Manfacture
>>>

>> I much prefer "final".
>>

>>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Eliot Miranda &lt;
>
>> eliot.miranda@
>
>> &gt;

>> hannes.hirzel@
>
>> &gt;

>>> What

>> Marcel.Taeumel@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> images,
>>> doesn't
>>> I
>>> that,
>>> them
>>> can
>>> http://forum.world.st/Renaming-Squeak-s-system-version-from-Squeak-alpha-to-SqueakTrunk-tp4902398p4902424.html

>> --
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot
>
> RTM is not needed. After rc_n comes alpha plus the release with no suffix.

I thought alpha always precedes rc's?

:D

> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

marcel.taeumel
fniephaus wrote
How about:

- final (new release)
---------------------------
- alpha + build number
- beta + build number (as soon as there is a release manager / we are
working towards a new release)
- rc1, rc2, ... (release candidates built or approved by release manager)
- final (new release)
---------------------------

If we agree that the next version should be called for example 5.2, it will
be called 5.2 all along the release process except if we decide it should
be a major release. Then we do the renaming in or after the release
candidate phase. Example: 5.2 alpha-X, 5.2 beta-X, [ major release decision
], 6.0 RC1, 6.0 Final.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28.06.2016, at 09:36, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
> >> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Ben Coman <
> >
> >> btc@

> >> I much prefer "final".

> >> eliot.miranda@

> >> hannes.hirzel@

> ;-)

> >> Marcel.Taeumel@

> http://forum.world.st/Renaming-Squeak-s-system-version-from-Squeak-alpha-to-SqueakTrunk-tp4902398p4902424.html

> >> --
> >> _,,,^..^,,,_
> >> best, Eliot
> >
> > RTM is not needed. After rc_n comes alpha plus the release with no
> suffix.
>
> I thought alpha always precedes rc's?
>
> :D
>

> > Best,
> > Marcel

Again, there is no need for "final" because the release itself does not need a suffix. It has its own repository, a version number, and usually also a build number.

Only for the trunk versions, we need alpha, beta, rc to distinguish feature freeze and code freeze. "beta" is feature freeze and "rc" is code freeze.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Renaming Squeak's system version from 'Squeak*alpha' to 'SqueakTrunk'

fniephaus
--

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
fniephaus wrote
> How about:

> - final (new release)
> ---------------------------
> - alpha + build number
> - beta + build number (as soon as there is a release manager / we are
> working towards a new release)
> - rc1, rc2, ... (release candidates built or approved by release manager)
> - final (new release)
> ---------------------------
>
> If we agree that the next version should be called for example 5.2, it
> will
> be called 5.2 all along the release process except if we decide it should
> be a major release. Then we do the renaming in or after the release
> candidate phase. Example: 5.2 alpha-X, 5.2 beta-X, [ major release
> decision
> ], 6.0 RC1, 6.0 Final.
>

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Tobias Pape &lt;

> Das.Linux@

> &gt; wrote:
>

>> On 28.06.2016, at 09:36, marcel.taeumel &lt;

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> > Eliot Miranda-2 wrote

>> ;-)

>> from

>> http://forum.world.st/Renaming-Squeak-s-system-version-from-Squeak-alpha-to-SqueakTrunk-tp4902398p4902424.html

>> > RTM is not needed. After rc_n comes alpha plus the release with no
>> suffix.
>>
>> I thought alpha always precedes rc's?
>>
>> :D
>>

>> > Best,
>> > Marcel

Again, there is no need for "final" because the release itself does not need
a suffix. It has its own repository, a version number, and usually also a
build number.

Agreed. I wouldn't put "final" in the version string, so when I see a 6.0, I know it is final. :)