Renaming superclass does not mark child classes as changed.

Renaming superclass does not mark child classes as changed.

Keith Alcock
Object Arts,

Recently I have been getting error messages when moving packages into a
new image.  The packages are saved in pax format and the complaint shown
in the transcript is about an UndefinedObject.  If both a class and its
superclass belong to the same package and I change the name of a
superclass and then save the package changes, the .cls file for the
child class is not updated with the new class definition (i.e.,
NewParentClass subclass: #ChildClass).  It does seen to work OK if I do
a save of the whole package.  The undefined object is the OldParentClass
from the child .cls file that still has 'OldParentClass subclass:
#ChildClass).

If the superclass belongs to a different package and it gets renamed,
there is no indication that any other packages need to be saved even if
they include subclasses of the superclass and therefore need their
definitions changed.

Sorry if this has already been reported.  I didn't see it in the list of
fixes for PL3.

Keith Alcock

Re: Renaming superclass does not mark child classes as changed.

Blair McGlashan
"Keith Alcock" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Object Arts,
>
> Recently I have been getting error messages when moving packages into a
> new image.  The packages are saved in pax format and the complaint shown
> in the transcript is about an UndefinedObject.  If both a class and its
> superclass belong to the same package and I change the name of a
> superclass and then save the package changes, the .cls file for the
> child class is not updated with the new class definition (i.e.,
> NewParentClass subclass: #ChildClass).  It does seen to work OK if I do
> a save of the whole package.  The undefined object is the OldParentClass
> from the child .cls file that still has 'OldParentClass subclass:
> #ChildClass).
>
> If the superclass belongs to a different package and it gets renamed,
> there is no indication that any other packages need to be saved even if
> they include subclasses of the superclass and therefore need their
> definitions changed.

Thanks Keith. Recorded as defect 268.

Regards

Blair