Repeatable VM crash

HilaireFernandes
When playing with equality in a class hierarchy I have repeatable VM crash.
It is today Pharo VM 3.9-7 from Jenkins and Pharo3.

Am I using an out of date VM?

Crashdump enclosed

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

crash.dmp (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Repeatable VM crash

HilaireFernandes
Hi again,

I must add it occurs from a test or when comparing something like this
in the Workspace:

(CGDonator firstname: 'Eric' lastname: 'Dupont') = (CGParticipant
firstname: 'Eric' lastname: 'Dupont')

I get a false returned value printed in the Workspace, then VM crash.

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Hilaire,

    can you try and concoct an image that crashes from start-up without operator intervention?  What I mean is that if the expression that crashes is the one you give then in a workspace evaluate

    Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true.
    (CGDonator firstname: 'Eric' lastname: 'Dupont') = (CGParticipant firstname: 'Eric' lastname: 'Dupont')

and then run the saved image.  If it crashes then its really easy to debug because it will be repeatable.  If one has to interact with the image debugging is much more difficult.

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

best,
Eliot

Re: Repeatable VM crash

EstebanLM
yes, but the first step is to be sure you have the latest vm version :)

Esteban

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Repeatable VM crash

HilaireFernandes
I download the latest from jenkin? Build date in the crash log.
Am I missing something?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Repeatable VM crash

HilaireFernandes
Le 05/12/2014 22:37, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
> Hi Hilaire,
>
>     can you try and concoct an image that crashes from start-up without
> operator intervention?  What I mean is that if the expression that
> crashes is the one you give then in a workspace evaluate

Please, give me an email to send privately an URL?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Esteban,

    plausibly the fix to the latest VM might fix your crash.  You might test?  Fingers crossed.

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

--
best,
Eliot

best,
Eliot

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Hilaire,

    I see you found me :-).  Thanks, I'll take a look asap.  Probably Monday.

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 05/12/2014 22:37, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
> Hi Hilaire,
>
>     can you try and concoct an image that crashes from start-up without
> operator intervention?  What I mean is that if the expression that
> crashes is the one you give then in a workspace evaluate

Please, give me an email to send privately an URL?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

best,
Eliot

Re: Repeatable VM crash

HilaireFernandes
I download this one
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3164/coglinux-14.48.3164.tgz

and the crash is still there. Attached crash dump.

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

crash.dmp (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Repeatable VM crash

EstebanLM
yes, tests now are finishing without crash!

now that we are ready yet, but almost there :)

Esteban

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Spur Re: Repeatable VM crash

Ben Coman
Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> yes, tests now are finishing without crash!
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/4.0-VM-Spur/job/Pharo-spur32-tests
>
> now that we are ready yet, but almost there :)
>
> Esteban

Great to hear you are getting close.
cheers -ben

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Hilaire,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I download this one
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3164/coglinux-14.48.3164.tgz
>
> and the crash is still there. Attached crash dump.

different bugs.  The 3164 VMs fix a 32-bit Spur bug.  Your image is showing a bug in Cog that looks to be to do with the decompression primitive.  I haven't had time to look at it deeply yet but can see it and should be able to fix it soon.

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 06/12/2014 22:57, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>>    plausibly the fix to the latest VM might fix your crash.  You might
>> test?  Fingers crossed.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    yes, but the first step is to be sure you have the latest vm version :)
>>
>>    Esteban
>

> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
> <crash.dmp>

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2

On Dec 7, 2014, at 3:33 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes, tests now are finishing without crash!

Cool, good.

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Mariano Martinez Peck

You mean GZip stuff?  Because I have found a similar issue years ago: http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-project-GZipWriteStream-crashing-my-VM-when-serializing-td4177725.html

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 06/12/2014 22:57, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>>    plausibly the fix to the latest VM might fix your crash.  You might
>> test?  Fingers crossed.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    yes, but the first step is to be sure you have the latest vm version :)
>>
>>    Esteban
>

> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
> <crash.dmp>

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Mariano,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hilaire,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I download this one
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3164/coglinux-14.48.3164.tgz
>
> and the crash is still there. Attached crash dump.

different bugs.  The 3164 VMs fix a 32-bit Spur bug.  Your image is showing a bug in Cog that looks to be to do with the decompression primitive.  I haven't had time to look at it deeply yet but can see it and should be able to fix it soon.

You mean GZip stuff?  Because I have found a similar issue years ago: http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-project-GZipWriteStream-crashing-my-VM-when-serializing-td4177725.html

No.  That bug got fixed recently.  This is a bug in the custom huffman-ciding bitmap decompression routine (selector begins with "decompress") that's compiled to a primitive.

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 06/12/2014 22:57, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>>    plausibly the fix to the latest VM might fix your crash.  You might
>> test?  Fingers crossed.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    yes, but the first step is to be sure you have the latest vm version :)
>>
>>    Esteban
>

> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
> <crash.dmp>

Re: Repeatable VM crash

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hilaire,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I download this one
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3164/coglinux-14.48.3164.tgz
>
> and the crash is still there. Attached crash dump.

different bugs.  The 3164 VMs fix a 32-bit Spur bug.  Your image is showing a bug in Cog that looks to be to do with the decompression primitive.  I haven't had time to look at it deeply yet but can see it and should be able to fix it soon.

You mean GZip stuff?  Because I have found a similar issue years ago: http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-project-GZipWriteStream-crashing-my-VM-when-serializing-td4177725.html

No.  That bug got fixed recently.  This is a bug in the custom huffman-ciding bitmap decompression routine (selector begins with "decompress") that's compiled to a primitive.

Hi,

It seems Stephan is seeing this bug again.
Eliot, is there a chance that the fix was not finally integrated or something?

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 06/12/2014 22:57, Eliot Miranda a écrit :
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>>    plausibly the fix to the latest VM might fix your crash.  You might
>> test?  Fingers crossed.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    yes, but the first step is to be sure you have the latest vm version :)
>>
>>    Esteban
>

> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
> <crash.dmp>

Re: [Vm-dev] Repeatable VM crash

EstebanLM

On 04 Jan 2016, at 21:22, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 10:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hilaire,

On Dec 7, 2014, at 12:35 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I download this one
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3164/coglinux-14.48.3164.tgz
>
> and the crash is still there. Attached crash dump.

different bugs.  The 3164 VMs fix a 32-bit Spur bug.  Your image is showing a bug in Cog that looks to be to do with the decompression primitive.  I haven't had time to look at it deeply yet but can see it and should be able to fix it soon.

You mean GZip stuff?  Because I have found a similar issue years ago: http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-project-GZipWriteStream-crashing-my-VM-when-serializing-td4177725.html

No.  That bug got fixed recently.  This is a bug in the custom huffman-ciding bitmap decompression routine (selector begins with "decompress") that's compiled to a primitive.

Hi,

It seems Stephan is seeing this bug again.
Eliot, is there a chance that the fix was not finally integrated or something?

vm build is at least 1 month old (spur one). Cog vm is at least 6 months old (yet some stuff has been integrated into it, but not much).
vm development is moving to spur branch so changes will be there (and not old cog branch) but to resume vm build we need to fix a bug in opal compiler (in spur context): https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17251

So… probably, that bug fix is not present yet in the vm (I cannot be sure, but probably)

Esteban