Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

At the moment I cannot start the amber IDE web server.

The current
commit: 834ecb8c4afc24e057eb9f5b973101bf5e7abea5)

does not have a 'server.bat' file in the bin directory

 to start the amber web server in MSwindows. There was one two weeks ago.

There is an amber.bat file which contains

     @node "%~dp0\amber-cli.js" %*

But when I double click on it on the browser a command window quickly
shows up and then disappears.

If I open a command window manually and navigate to the bin directory
to start amber.bat from the command line I get

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\bin>amber.bat
Available Commands:
help
repl
serve

C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\bin>amber serve
Warning: project directory does not contain index.html
Warning: project directory is missing an "st" directory
Warning: project directory is missing a "js" directory
Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000

It seems that this is work in transition.....

But in the mean time how can I start the server?

Kind regards

Hannes

Re: Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hello Hannes,

all commandline tools (except the testrunner) have been merged into the AmberCli package.
The executable script for this is amber (Linux)/amber.bat (Windows).

In order to start the server you have to call it in the toplevel Amber directory like this:

./bin/amber serve

not sure if the following is correct for Windows (Herby can correct me if this is wrong):

bin/amber.bat serve

Best,
Manfred

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Herby Vojčík

Manfred Kröhnert wrote:

> Hello Hannes,
>
> all commandline tools (except the testrunner) have been merged into
> the AmberCli package.
> The executable script for this is amber (Linux)/amber.bat (Windows).
>
> In order to start the server you have to call it in the toplevel Amber
> directory like this:
>
> ./bin/amber serve
>
> not sure if the following is correct for Windows (Herby can correct me
> if this is wrong):
>
> bin/amber.bat serve

Yes, this should work.

It is envisioned that later these cli helpers for amber development will go to dedicated npm package so you then just 'npm install -g amber-sdk' and then just 'amber serve' from command line and it will work in both Unix and Windows alike (alternatively you install it locally with the project and run '.bin/amber serve').

Re: Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Manfred and Herby for the answers

The following works now well with the amber version of yesterday [1]

Manually open a command window and navigate to amber-master

    C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master>bin\amber serve
    Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000

[1] https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber
commit
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/commit/834ecb8c4afc24e057eb9f5b973101bf5e7abea5

--Hannes

On 9/6/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Manfred Kröhnert wrote:
>> Hello Hannes,
>>
>> all commandline tools (except the testrunner) have been merged into
>> the AmberCli package.
>> The executable script for this is amber (Linux)/amber.bat (Windows).
>>
>> In order to start the server you have to call it in the toplevel Amber
>> directory like this:
>>
>> ./bin/amber serve
>>
>> not sure if the following is correct for Windows (Herby can correct me
>> if this is wrong):
>>
>> bin/amber.bat serve
>
> Yes, this should work.
>
> It is envisioned that later these cli helpers for amber development will go
> to dedicated npm package so you then just 'npm install -g amber-sdk' and
> then just 'amber serve' from command line and it will work in both Unix and
> Windows alike (alternatively you install it locally with the project and run
> '.bin/amber serve').

Re: Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Nicolas Petton

Would someone be willing to update the doc? I can do it if there's no
volunteer.

Cheers,
Nico

Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello Hannes,
>
> all commandline tools (except the testrunner) have been merged into the
> AmberCli package.
> The executable script for this is amber (Linux)/amber.bat (Windows).
>
> In order to start the server you have to call it in the toplevel Amber
> directory like this:
>
> ./bin/amber serve
>
> not sure if the following is correct for Windows (Herby can correct me if
> this is wrong):
>
> bin/amber.bat serve
>
> Best,
> Manfred
>

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> At the moment I cannot start the amber IDE web server.
>>

>> The current
>> commit: 834ecb8c4afc24e057eb9f5b973101bf5e7abea5)
>>
>> does not have a 'server.bat' file in the bin directory
>>
>>  to start the amber web server in MSwindows. There was one two weeks ago.
>>

>> There is an amber.bat file which contains
>>
>>      @node "%~dp0\amber-cli.js" %*
>>

>> But when I double click on it on the browser a command window quickly
>> shows up and then disappears.
>>
>> If I open a command window manually and navigate to the bin directory
>> to start amber.bat from the command line I get
>>

>> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\bin>amber.bat
>> Available Commands:
>> help
>> repl
>> serve
>>

>> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\bin>amber serve
>> Warning: project directory does not contain index.html
>> Warning: project directory is missing an "st" directory
>> Warning: project directory is missing a "js" directory
>> Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000
>>

>> It seems that this is work in transition.....
>>
>> But in the mean time how can I start the server?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Hannes
>>
>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Replacement for server.bat to start amber web server in MSwindows?

Hannes Hirzel
I have updated
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Getting-started

with

So to start it up serving your brand new directory tree of sweet Amber you do:

cd amber      (or whatever you called the directory you unpackaged)
./bin/amber serve  (in windows you type `bin\amber serve` instead)

However more needs to be done. See my other thread about packages.

On 9/6/13, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would someone be willing to update the doc? I can do it if there's no
> volunteer.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello Hannes,
>>
>> all commandline tools (except the testrunner) have been merged into the
>> AmberCli package.
>> The executable script for this is amber (Linux)/amber.bat (Windows).
>>
>> In order to start the server you have to call it in the toplevel Amber
>> directory like this:
>>
>> ./bin/amber serve
>>
>> not sure if the following is correct for Windows (Herby can correct me if
>> this is wrong):
>>
>> bin/amber.bat serve
>>
>> Best,
>> Manfred
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> At the moment I cannot start the amber IDE web server.
>>>

>>> The current
>>> commit: 834ecb8c4afc24e057eb9f5b973101bf5e7abea5)
>>>
>>> does not have a 'server.bat' file in the bin directory
>>>
>>>  to start the amber web server in MSwindows. There was one two weeks
>>> ago.
>>>

>>> There is an amber.bat file which contains
>>>
>>>      @node "%~dp0\amber-cli.js" %*
>>>

>>> But when I double click on it on the browser a command window quickly
>>> shows up and then disappears.
>>>
>>> If I open a command window manually and navigate to the bin directory
>>> to start amber.bat from the command line I get
>>>

>>> C:\Users\User\Documents\amber-master\bin>amber.bat
>>> Available Commands:
>>> help
>>> repl