Repository #freeSpace confusion

GLASS mailing list
Hi guys,

It looks to me that #freeSpace from Repository answers the free space the sense of "reclaimed" pages, right? I mean.... if I run MFC, but I do not run an explicit #reclaimAll:, then #freeSpace won't change. At least, not until the gc reclaim gems start to do their job. Is this assumption correct?

If I am correct...is there a way to get the percentage or size that WILL become free once the reclaim has finished?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Repository #freeSpace confusion

GLASS mailing list
Mariano,

There is no stat that gives you an accurate picture of how much free space you will have after reclaim.

Probably the best you can do is to take the number of dead not reclaimed (DeadNotReclaimedObjs) immediately after voting is complete (probably best to look at the stat in VSD) and multiply that by the average object size for your repo (our rule of thumb is about 100 bytes per object ) ...

Dale