[Request for comment] Hermes package

Torsten Bergmann
... to all participating authors of the Hermes package:

PLEASE COMMENT YOUR CLASSES SO WE CAN CLEAN UP AND PREPARE A
POLISHED PHARO 7 RELEASE

So many uncommented classes in there today...

We can do better and we should. I dont ask for detailed documentation
but a single comment why the class is there or what it should care
about is often already enough.

If you have time to write code then you also have the time to write
a simple class comment!

So please do you homework (which is a general request to authors
of other packages as well)

Bye
T.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi,
    Sorry I have missed the comments. I will add them as soon as possible.
You are right we should improve the quality, thanks for checking it and remembering everybody.

Cheers,

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

Torsten Bergmann
Thanks for the quick feedback. Here is the associated issue:  https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/21442/Add-class-comments-to-Hermes-package
tagged with "Must fix" ;)

Thanks
T.

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

abergel
Side question: What is Hermes?

Alexandre

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 1:42 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ... to all participating authors of the Hermes package:
>
> PLEASE COMMENT YOUR CLASSES SO WE CAN CLEAN UP AND PREPARE A
> POLISHED PHARO 7 RELEASE
>
> So many uncommented classes in there today...
>
> We can do better and we should. I dont ask for detailed documentation
> but a single comment why the class is there or what it should care
> about is often already enough.
>
> If you have time to write code then you also have the time to write
> a simple class comment!
>
> So please do you homework (which is a general request to authors
> of other packages as well)
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hermes is a private binary format that is used to load compiled code
when there is no compiler during the bootstrap.
So basically hermes is loading the compiler to be able to compile
other packages.

Stef

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Side question: What is Hermes?
>
> Alexandre
>
>> On Feb 28, 2018, at 1:42 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... to all participating authors of the Hermes package:
>>
>> PLEASE COMMENT YOUR CLASSES SO WE CAN CLEAN UP AND PREPARE A
>> POLISHED PHARO 7 RELEASE
>>
>> So many uncommented classes in there today...
>>
>> We can do better and we should. I dont ask for detailed documentation
>> but a single comment why the class is there or what it should care
>> about is often already enough.
>>
>> If you have time to write code then you also have the time to write
>> a simple class comment!
>>
>> So please do you homework (which is a general request to authors
>> of other packages as well)
>>
>> Bye
>> T.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

Denis Kudriashov
While it is very bootstrap oriented library it would be better to rename it to BootstapCodeLoader.
Or PharoBootstrap-CodeLoader because we already use this prefix

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Side question: What is Hermes?
>
> Alexandre
>
>> On Feb 28, 2018, at 1:42 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... to all participating authors of the Hermes package:
>>
>> PLEASE COMMENT YOUR CLASSES SO WE CAN CLEAN UP AND PREPARE A
>> POLISHED PHARO 7 RELEASE
>>
>> So many uncommented classes in there today...
>>
>> We can do better and we should. I dont ask for detailed documentation
>> but a single comment why the class is there or what it should care
>> about is often already enough.
>>
>> If you have time to write code then you also have the time to write
>> a simple class comment!
>>
>> So please do you homework (which is a general request to authors
>> of other packages as well)
>>
>> Bye
>> T.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

Stephane Ducasse-3
+1

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 2:42 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While it is very bootstrap oriented library it would be better to rename it
> to BootstapCodeLoader.
> Or PharoBootstrap-CodeLoader because we already use this prefix

>> Hermes is a private binary format that is used to load compiled code
>> when there is no compiler during the bootstrap.
>> So basically hermes is loading the compiler to be able to compile
>> other packages.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Side question: What is Hermes?
>> >
>> > Alexandre

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

tesonep@gmail.com
Nice Idea, I have added comments to the packages, classes and methods. This will be in the new version that will be integrated with the new Traits implementation.
I am still cleaning some comments that Denis and Pavel have done and we can integrate it.

Then we change the name, I liked BootstrapCodeLoader, I think I can find a non conflicting prefix.

Cheers.

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [Request for comment] Hermes package

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks Pablo this is cool!