Request for packagers: Use STS Projects

fry

Request for packagers: Use STS Projects

fry
I recently downloaded Swazoo and Seaside for Dolphin to try them out.
They loaded easily enough using the Package Manager.  I liked how they
ran, and wanted to continue using them, so I tried to import them into
the STS Package Editions repository and the STS Projects repository.
That turned into a cumbersome process, as I would have to figure out
the load order for each package before I could check them into the
repository properly so that they could subsequently be loaded into an
image without any errors.

Can I make a request for those kind enough to offer their goodies for
download?  Now that STS is bundled with Dolphin D6, would people
providing their code consider creating an STS project of their code in
addition to offering packages (starting with Swazoo, Seaside, and
AIDA)?  Users could then download the projects and import them directly
into their local STS repositories to simplify installation.  This would
go along way to simplifying the distribution of Dolphin code, I think.

Thanks,

Fry

Re: Request for packagers: Use STS Projects

Esteban A. Maringolo
[hidden email] escribió:
> I recently downloaded Swazoo and Seaside for Dolphin to try them out.
> They loaded easily enough using the Package Manager.  I liked how they
> ran, and wanted to continue using them, so I tried to import them into
> the STS Package Editions repository and the STS Projects repository.

Just as a side note, I'm finishing the port of the latest Swazoo
version (1.1.4), which is a straight port of the version in the
Cincom public repository (the main codestream for Swazoo), and a
candidate for the 2.0 new branch. I'm aiming to release it by the
end of this week, on sunday probably.

This packaging includes a cross-dialect portability layer, named
SPort, over which is based the latest Swazoo version and other
developments (such as native PostgreSQL driver).

Once done that, I'll merge the Seaside port made Avi Bryant and
complete the missing functionality with the port I've made.

> That turned into a cumbersome process, as I would have to figure out
> the load order for each package before I could check them into the
> repository properly so that they could subsequently be loaded into an
> image without any errors.

Perhaps adding the ability to load multiple packages at once would
solve this, loading all the globals of all the packages first, and
then loading every package contents.
Disclaimer: I'm just suggesting a naive solution... :-)

> Can I make a request for those kind enough to offer their goodies for
> download?  Now that STS is bundled with Dolphin D6, would people
> providing their code consider creating an STS project of their code in
> addition to offering packages (starting with Swazoo, Seaside, and
> AIDA)?  Users could then download the projects and import them directly
> into their local STS repositories to simplify installation.  This would
> go along way to simplifying the distribution of Dolphin code, I think.

Not everybody owns a Pro license, so many times the safer option is
to "downgrade" (degrade?) the distribution strategy to reach a
broader audience.

Regards,

--
Esteban.

fry

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> [hidden email] escribió:
> >
> Just as a side note, I'm finishing the port of the latest Swazoo
> version (1.1.4), which is a straight port of the version in the
> Cincom public repository (the main codestream for Swazoo), and a
> candidate for the 2.0 new branch. I'm aiming to release it by the
> end of this week, on sunday probably.

Wonderful news.  I'm looking forward to this release.

> > Can I make a request for those kind enough to offer their goodies for
> > download?  Now that STS is bundled with Dolphin D6, would people
> > providing their code consider creating an STS project of their code in
> > addition to offering packages (starting with Swazoo, Seaside, and
> > AIDA)?  Users could then download the projects and import them directly
> > into their local STS repositories to simplify installation.  This would
> > go along way to simplifying the distribution of Dolphin code, I think.
>
> Not everybody owns a Pro license, so many times the safer option is
> to "downgrade" (degrade?) the distribution strategy to reach a
> broader audience.

Can you release both a project file as well as the distribution
packages?  Once the
project has been created, it becomes that much easier to export the
constituent
packages. That way, those with a Pro license can download the project,
while those
using the Community Edition can grab the package files.  It's perhaps
some more work
on the author's part, but well worth it for the end user. The effort
would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,

Fry