Required DLLs

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Andy and Blair,

I noticed that a ToGo app would not run on a Win2003 machine until I copied
across MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll.

I assume D6 requires these DLLs ... anything else to be aware of?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326922  says
MSVCR71.dll  is not a system file and should be installed in the Program
Files directory. Should you be installing it and MSVCP71.dll  into "[Program
Files]\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk 6.0"?

Steve
--
Steve Waring

Re: Required DLLs

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Steve,

> I noticed that a ToGo app would not run on a Win2003 machine until I copied
> across MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll.
>
> I assume D6 requires these DLLs ... anything else to be aware of?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326922  says
> MSVCR71.dll  is not a system file and should be installed in the Program
> Files directory. Should you be installing it and MSVCP71.dll  into "[Program
> Files]\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk 6.0"?

I'd like to think not, unless the file is somehow unique to each
installed product; otherwise, one would hope to have one copy of it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Required DLLs

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Bill,

> I'd like to think not, unless the file is somehow unique to each installed
> product; otherwise, one would hope to have one copy of it.

FWIW: There are two builds (7.10.3052.4 and 7.10.2346.4) that have been
distributed:

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/?dlltype=file&l=55&alpha=MSVCR71.dll&S=1&x=13&y=11

My understanding is that it is recommended practice for apps to install dlls
into their program files folder, and then leave it to windows to work out
what to do.

I just checked and I don't have any copies of MSVCR71.dll in my program
files, however I have 11 copies of msvcrt.dll that applications have
installed into their program files folders.

IMO this is a good thing. Maybe it is not necessary now that the version is
included in the filename, but I don't care how many copies of it someone has
... as long as my app doesnt get broken by some other app!

Steve
--
Steve Waring

Re: Required DLLs

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Steve,

>>I'd like to think not, unless the file is somehow unique to each installed
>>product; otherwise, one would hope to have one copy of it.
>

> FWIW: There are two builds (7.10.3052.4 and 7.10.2346.4) that have been
> distributed:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/?dlltype=file&l=55&alpha=MSVCR71.dll&S=1&x=13&y=11
>
> My understanding is that it is recommended practice for apps to install dlls
> into their program files folder, and then leave it to windows to work out
> what to do.
>
> I just checked and I don't have any copies of MSVCR71.dll in my program
> files, however I have 11 copies of msvcrt.dll that applications have
> installed into their program files folders.
>
> IMO this is a good thing. Maybe it is not necessary now that the version is
> included in the filename, but I don't care how many copies of it someone has
> ... as long as my app doesnt get broken by some other app!

Unless I am greatly misunderstanding the exports of the dll, I must
disagree.  The probability of security-related or other defects is
certainly non-zero, and app-specific copies of the library will only
complicate fixing it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--