Resolving some dependencies...

Carla F. Griggio
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to load a sar archive for Connectors into Pharo and I need to resolve some dependencies in order to do that. In other words, I want to port Connectors from Squeak to Pharo.

It seems that Connectors dependes on several classes of Morphic and Etoys that don't come with the latest Pharo images. The dependencies I need to resolve are:
  • TileMorph
  • PhraseTileMorph
  • Presenter
  • Player
  • Vocabulary
  • SymbolListType
  • ObjectPropertiesMorph
  • GenericPropertiesMorph
I already resolved the following dependencies loading the packages in this repository: http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoMorphicExtras

  • PartsBin
  • ObjectsTool
  • BookMorph
  • GraphicalDictionaryMenu

I started browsing classes in Squeak to follow these dependencies, and the "dependency tree" seems kind of deep, so exporting classes from Squeak and importing them into Pharo manually feels kind of dirty, I always end up having to resolve yet anoher dependency...

So I started looking for some Metacello configurations that could help me with this, but I just found ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, which helped me with some of the dependencies but not all of them.

Are there any Metacello configurations that could help me with this, at least with some of the dependencies? Or should I keep tracing dependencies and doing this 'manual porting' from Squeak to Pharo?

Thanks in advance!

Carla.

PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 10, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm trying to load a sar archive for Connectors into Pharo and I need to resolve some dependencies in order to do that. In other words, I want to port Connectors from Squeak to Pharo.

you mean a subset. :)
Fernando olivero mentioned that he started a port

> It seems that Connectors dependes on several classes of Morphic and Etoys that don't come with the latest Pharo images. The dependencies I need to resolve are:
> • TileMorph
> • PhraseTileMorph
> • Presenter
> • Player
> • Vocabulary
> • SymbolListType
> • ObjectPropertiesMorph
> • GenericPropertiesMorph

create a stub for them.

> I already resolved the following dependencies loading the packages in this repository: http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoMorphicExtras
> • PartsBin
> • ObjectsTool
> • BookMorph
> • GraphicalDictionaryMenu

I can tell you that we will never load a package that load these classes back so
be aware of that :)

> I started browsing classes in Squeak to follow these dependencies, and the "dependency tree" seems kind of deep, so exporting classes from Squeak and importing them into Pharo manually feels kind of dirty, I always end up having to resolve yet anoher dependency...

just create stub and load and see what is working.

> So I started looking for some Metacello configurations that could help me with this, but I just found ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, which helped me with some of the dependencies but not all of them.
>
> Are there any Metacello configurations that could help me with this, at least with some of the dependencies? Or should I keep tracing dependencies and doing this 'manual porting' from Squeak to Pharo?

No

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Carla.
>
> PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?

Yes because MorphicExtras is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 10, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm trying to load a sar archive for Connectors into Pharo and I need to resolve some dependencies in order to do that. In other words, I want to port Connectors from Squeak to Pharo.

you mean a subset. :)
Fernando olivero mentioned that he started a port

Yes. I was going to send you the link but I saw Carla already answered there....so I guess she is aware of that.

> PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?

Yes because MorphicExtras-StephaneDucasse.144 is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.

But anyway, I think she is right. The package MorphicExtras should be loaded, together with MorphExamplesAndDemos and LED, shouldn't it ?

Cheers

mariano

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Stéphane Ducasse

> > PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?
>
> Yes because MorphicExtras-StephaneDucasse.144 is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.

> But anyway, I think she is right.

she is not

> The package MorphicExtras should be loaded, together with MorphExamplesAndDemos and LED, shouldn't it ?

No it should NOT!
Check the classes in there and you will see that you do NOT want that in your image. :)
What I did was to extract the MorphExampleAndDemos where I cleaned the code made sure that the xamples
are working......

So MorphicExtras should just be there so that people can extract something that they would like to repackage. Period.

> Cheers
>
> mariano

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Carla F. Griggio
Uff, then... I'll have to do some work over this :)

About MorphicExtras, if you say it's a lot of crap, I trust you. But the name of ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras suggests that it will load MorphicExtras (at least for me, because I had the package name 'Morphic Extras' stucked in my head when I found the metacello configuration) :$ So that might be a little confusing.

Thanks!

Carla

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Uff, then... I'll have to do some work over this :)

About MorphicExtras, if you say it's a lot of crap, I trust you.

me too.

But the name of ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras suggests that it will load MorphicExtras (at least for me, because I had the package name 'Morphic Extras' stucked in my head when I found the metacello configuration) :$ So that might be a little confusing.

That's exactly why I asked. Stef, Carla, do you have a better name for such configuration ?

Cheers

Mariano

Thanks!

Carla

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?
>
> Yes because MorphicExtras-StephaneDucasse.144 is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.

> But anyway, I think she is right.

she is not

> The package MorphicExtras should be loaded, together with MorphExamplesAndDemos and LED, shouldn't it ?

No it should NOT!
Check the classes in there and you will see that you do NOT want that in your image. :)
What I did was to extract the MorphExampleAndDemos where I cleaned the code made sure that the xamples
are working......

So MorphicExtras should just be there so that people can extract something that they would like to repackage. Period.

> Cheers
>
> mariano

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Stéphane Ducasse
ExtraMorphs?
On May 10, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Uff, then... I'll have to do some work over this :)
>
> About MorphicExtras, if you say it's a lot of crap, I trust you.
>
> me too.
>
> But the name of ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras suggests that it will load MorphicExtras (at least for me, because I had the package name 'Morphic Extras' stucked in my head when I found the metacello configuration) :$ So that might be a little confusing.
>
> That's exactly why I asked. Stef, Carla, do you have a better name for such configuration ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Thanks!
>
> Carla
>

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?
> >
> > Yes because MorphicExtras-StephaneDucasse.144 is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.
>

> > But anyway, I think she is right.
>
> she is not
>
> > The package MorphicExtras should be loaded, together with MorphExamplesAndDemos and LED, shouldn't it ?
>
> No it should NOT!
> Check the classes in there and you will see that you do NOT want that in your image. :)
> What I did was to extract the MorphExampleAndDemos where I cleaned the code made sure that the xamples
> are working......
>
> So MorphicExtras should just be there so that people can extract something that they would like to repackage. Period.
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > mariano

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Mariano Martinez Peck
Carla: some time ago with stef we moved the working packages form http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoMorphicExtras   to

http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoNonCorePackages

As you can see in PharoNonCorePackages it is no more MorphicExtras.
In addition, we did ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras

So please, from nowon, use that repository. And in case of changing something, commit it there, as the next dev images will use PharoNonCorePackages and not PharoMorphicExtras.

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ExtraMorphs?
On May 10, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Uff, then... I'll have to do some work over this :)
>
> About MorphicExtras, if you say it's a lot of crap, I trust you.
>
> me too.
>
> But the name of ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras suggests that it will load MorphicExtras (at least for me, because I had the package name 'Morphic Extras' stucked in my head when I found the metacello configuration) :$ So that might be a little confusing.
>
> That's exactly why I asked. Stef, Carla, do you have a better name for such configuration ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Thanks!
>
> Carla
>

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > PS: When I used ConfigurationOfPharoMorphicExtras, it loaded some Morphic packages  but not the MorphicExtras package itself, I had to load it manually later. Is that OK?
> >
> > Yes because MorphicExtras-StephaneDucasse.144 is a dead package. It is full of crap or experimental code.
>

> > But anyway, I think she is right.
>
> she is not
>
> > The package MorphicExtras should be loaded, together with MorphExamplesAndDemos and LED, shouldn't it ?
>
> No it should NOT!
> Check the classes in there and you will see that you do NOT want that in your image. :)
> What I did was to extract the MorphExampleAndDemos where I cleaned the code made sure that the xamples
> are working......
>
> So MorphicExtras should just be there so that people can extract something that they would like to repackage. Period.
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > mariano

Re: Resolving some dependencies...

Stéphane Ducasse
We should edit the project wiki to say that and also the status to private so that PharoMorphicExtras is just
there for archival purposes.

Setf

Done. Check http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoMorphicExtras.html