Resource Descriptor Framework

Ben Coman

Is there much being done with Resource Description Framework in
Squeak/Pharo?   I have some RDF data files that I need to load for my
masters project and am seeking advice on how to approach this.  I am
only just learning about RDF for the first time.   For anyone else
interested the best short overview I found so far is  [
http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-webdev ]

Apparently it this is a Simplified RDF Syntax as described at  [
http://www.langdale.com.au/CIMXML/PSModelExchange.pdf ]

A data file looks like like this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                xmlns:cim="http://iec.ch/TC57/2007/CIM-schema-cim12#">
    <cim:ACLineSegment rdf:ID="_7814201">
        <cim:Conductor.length>95</cim:Conductor.length>

<cim:IdentifiedObject.name>AMHE400MARCLINE</cim:IdentifiedObject.name>
        <cim:ConductingEquipment.BaseVoltage rdf:resource="#_400000302"/>
        <cim:Equipment.MemberOf_EquipmentContainer
rdf:resource="#_487038201"/>
    </cim:ACLineSegment>

The most obvious project on Squeaksource is Rakaiko [a] which says "RDF
is an essential part of the new web technologies and a fundamental layer
of the semantic Web 2.0 [...]  This API, compliant with the W3C RDF
specification will allow a developer to handle an RDF graph in its
various forms (RDF/XML, N3, abstract graph). In other words, it would be
the Squeak equivalent of the Jena Java RDF API."    However there has
been no activity on Rakaiko since 2007 and there is no apparent
documentation.   Has anyone used this and/or is this abandoned?

Page 20 of "ESUG 2006 Welcome" mentions a "RDF Framework for
Smalltalk."  Did anything come of this?

Alternatively I could fake it and learn just how to parse the XML
directly and manually translate it into the class model.   (It seems
processing an a RDF Schema might be able to automatically create the
class definition as well as the instance creation )

There is PetitXML, which however is not included by
ConfigurationOfPetitParser.24 loaded on Moose 4.6.  What is the status
of PetitXML ?

Also Moose 4.6 has XML-Parser.   Which of XML-Parser or PetitXML would
be the better approach ?

I've watched http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/simple-xml-browser-with-glamour
but not sure whether than will help me actually load the data into a model.

You opinion of these various approaches would be appreciated, and of
course pointers to any examples/documentation.

Re: [Pharo-project] Resource Descriptor Framework

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am not aware of RDF support in Pharo. But, it would be definitely be cool to have one, in particular in the context of Moose. If Rakaiko has it, I would be interested. Let us know what you find.

Regarding XML, the more mature solution is XMLSupport. PetitXml is nice because it is based on PetitParser which is the central parsing engine in Moose, so in the long run I would prefer to use this one. But, the collateral libraries like XPath, or the support for objects factories are not yet available for it.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: [Pharo-project] Resource Descriptor Framework

SergeStinckwich
Hi Ben,

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there much being done with Resource Description Framework in
> Squeak/Pharo?   I have some RDF data files that I need to load for my
> masters project and am seeking advice on how to approach this.  I am only
> just learning about RDF for the first time.   For anyone else interested the
> best short overview I found so far is  [
> http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-webdev ]
>
> Apparently it this is a Simplified RDF Syntax as described at  [
> http://www.langdale.com.au/CIMXML/PSModelExchange.pdf ]
>
> A data file looks like like this...
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>               xmlns:cim="http://iec.ch/TC57/2007/CIM-schema-cim12#">
>   <cim:ACLineSegment rdf:ID="_7814201">
>       <cim:Conductor.length>95</cim:Conductor.length>
>       <cim:IdentifiedObject.name>AMHE400MARCLINE</cim:IdentifiedObject.name>
>       <cim:ConductingEquipment.BaseVoltage rdf:resource="#_400000302"/>
>       <cim:Equipment.MemberOf_EquipmentContainer
> rdf:resource="#_487038201"/>
>   </cim:ACLineSegment>
>
> The most obvious project on Squeaksource is Rakaiko [a] which says "RDF is
> an essential part of the new web technologies and a fundamental layer of the
> semantic Web 2.0 [...]  This API, compliant with the W3C RDF specification
> will allow a developer to handle an RDF graph in its various forms (RDF/XML,
> N3, abstract graph). In other words, it would be the Squeak equivalent of
> the Jena Java RDF API."    However there has been no activity on Rakaiko
> since 2007 and there is no apparent documentation.   Has anyone used this
> and/or is this abandoned?
> Page 20 of "ESUG 2006 Welcome" mentions a "RDF Framework for Smalltalk."
>  Did anything come of this?

This framework was done by one of my former student, Julien Bourdon
who is currently finishing his PhD thesis
in Kyoto. I put him in CC, but not sure that he has time at the moment
to help you.

> Alternatively I could fake it and learn just how to parse the XML directly
> and manually translate it into the class model.   (It seems processing an a
> RDF Schema might be able to automatically create the class definition as
> well as the instance creation )
>
> There is PetitXML, which however is not included by
> ConfigurationOfPetitParser.24 loaded on Moose 4.6.  What is the status of
> PetitXML ?
>
> Also Moose 4.6 has XML-Parser.   Which of XML-Parser or PetitXML would be
> the better approach ?
>
> I've watched http://www.tudorgirba.com/blog/simple-xml-browser-with-glamour
> but not sure whether than will help me actually load the data into a model.
>

> You opinion of these various approaches would be appreciated, and of course
> pointers to any examples/documentation.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)