Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

12

Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    this is silly but I've took a look in the man pages of squeak and squeakvm in linux and a look into the preferences but I'm unable to make work the right click of the mouse to behave the same as in windows.

    Ofcourse Ctrl-leftclick works just fine but as I have to switch between working on squeak over windows and linux I want the same usability in the image over any OS (this case just DOS and linux). Any clue?

    thanks,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

2007/9/13, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>     this is silly but I've took a look in the man pages of squeak and
> squeakvm in linux and a look into the preferences but I'm unable to make
> work the right click of the mouse to behave the same as in windows.
>
>     Ofcourse Ctrl-leftclick works just fine but as I have to switch between
> working on squeak over windows and linux I want the same usability in the
> image over any OS (this case just DOS and linux). Any clue?

Yes, please enable the #swapMouseButtons in the PreferenceBrowser.

Damien Cassou

RE: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Sebastian Sastre-2
That did it

        thanks a lot Damien,

Sebastian Sastre

Blake-5
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:00:00 -0700, Sebastian Sastre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>    this is silly but I've took a look in the man pages of squeak and
> squeakvm in linux and a look into the preferences but I'm unable to make
> work the right click of the mouse to behave the same as in windows.
>    Ofcourse Ctrl-leftclick works just fine but as I have to switch
> between
> working on squeak over windows and linux I want the same usability in the
> image over any OS (this case just DOS and linux). Any clue?
>    thanks,

Fiddling with the preferences worked for us, FWIW.

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Michael van der Gulik-2

On 9/14/07, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

    this is silly but I've took a look in the man pages of squeak and squeakvm in linux and a look into the preferences but I'm unable to make work the right click of the mouse to behave the same as in windows.

    Ofcourse Ctrl-leftclick works just fine but as I have to switch between working on squeak over windows and linux I want the same usability in the image over any OS (this case just DOS and linux). Any clue?

Could I get a quick survey of what people's preferences are.

When I get a new image, on of the first things I do (after setting the background to dark blue, disabling smooth corners and setting the event poll period to be quicker) is to swap the middle and right mouse buttons.

How many other people do this? If most people do, then it would be preferable to have this by default in the image.

Michael.

RE: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Gary Chambers-4
Message
I use both Linux and Windows with the same image. Have had to hack the point at which the preference is applied to save hassle. Perhaps the Linux VM could be brought into line?

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Tapple Gao
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:43:43AM +1200, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

>    On 9/14/07, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      Hi there,
>
>          this is silly but I've took a look in the man pages of squeak and
>      squeakvm in linux and a look into the preferences but I'm unable to make
>      work the right click of the mouse to behave the same as in windows.
>
>          Ofcourse Ctrl-leftclick works just fine but as I have to switch
>      between working on squeak over windows and linux I want the same
>      usability in the image over any OS (this case just DOS and linux). Any
>      clue?
>
>    Could I get a quick survey of what people's preferences are.
>
>    When I get a new image, on of the first things I do (after setting the
>    background to dark blue, disabling smooth corners and setting the event
>    poll period to be quicker) is to swap the middle and right mouse buttons.

On Linux I always swap mouse buttons, unless maybe the image is just a
quick VMMaker image. No idea why it is different on different
platforms

>    How many other people do this? If most people do, then it would be
>    preferable to have this by default in the image.

I would like that

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Bert Freudenberg
On Sep 13, 2007, at 23:47 , Gary Chambers wrote:

> I use both Linux and Windows with the same image. Have had to hack
> the point at which the preference is applied to save hassle.

Set the 3-button mouse preference for the Windows VM to make it
conform to the right mouse button order. The wrong order was made
default in the days when Windows mice lacked one button and only had
two. Nowadays they have three or more, so this pref should be made
the default.

> Perhaps the Linux VM could be brought into line?

To make the Linux VM use the wrong ordering too, just add "-vm-
display-X11 -swapbtn" to your command line. Or set SQUEAK_SWAPBTN in
your environment.

And just for completeness, to make the Mac VM use the wrong order
edit the VM's info.plist file.

- Bert -

2007/9/13, Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>:
> When I get a new image, on of the first things I do (after setting the
> background to dark blue, disabling smooth corners and setting the event poll
> period to be quicker) is to swap the middle and right mouse buttons.
>
> How many other people do this? If most people do, then it would be
> preferable to have this by default in the image.

It's not possible to swap the preference by default because Windows
users will start complaining :-).

Damien Cassou

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 11:31:27AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2007, at 23:47 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>
> >I use both Linux and Windows with the same image. Have had to hack
> >the point at which the preference is applied to save hassle.
>
> Set the 3-button mouse preference for the Windows VM to make it
> conform to the right mouse button order. The wrong order was made
> default in the days when Windows mice lacked one button and only had
> two. Nowadays they have three or more, so this pref should be made
> the default.
>
> >Perhaps the Linux VM could be brought into line?
>
> To make the Linux VM use the wrong ordering too, just add "-vm-
> display-X11 -swapbtn" to your command line. Or set SQUEAK_SWAPBTN in
> your environment.
>
> And just for completeness, to make the Mac VM use the wrong order
> edit the VM's info.plist file.

Does that mean there is a well-defined "right" and "wrong"
order? I assumed the correct behavior was:
left-click for select
right-click for context menu
middle-click for the halos

This is the MVC behavior (iirc, MVC treated right-click and
middle-click the same), and the behavior of every other
program I have used. Halo's are a concept unique to squeak, and
so should use the under-used middle button

I always swapped mouse buttons in linux even before I found out
that this was the default order in windows (used squeak in linux
first)

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

timrowledge

On 14-Sep-07, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> This is the MVC behavior (iirc, MVC treated right-click and
> middle-click the same),

Absolutely not! Middle is pop-up menu, right is *window menu*.

> and the behavior of every other
> program I have used. Halo's are a concept unique to squeak, and
> so should use the under-used middle button

Absolutely not! Middle is pop-up menu and right is halo.

tim
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

RE: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Gary Chambers-4
Plainly people need the choice still, which is what we have.
Perhaps the VM option for 3 button mouse could be default for Win32 to help.
Thanks for the VM option tip. I can remove my hack now!

Brad Fuller-2
On Fri September 14 2007, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 14-Sep-07, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > This is the MVC behavior (iirc, MVC treated right-click and
> > middle-click the same),
>
> Absolutely not! Middle is pop-up menu, right is *window menu*.
>
> > and the behavior of every other
> > program I have used. Halo's are a concept unique to squeak, and
> > so should use the under-used middle button
>
> Absolutely not! Middle is pop-up menu and right is halo.

That's good to know. I probably knew it at one point, but I've always swapped
them because it feels right that pop-up menu is the right click. And, if you
want to do something "special" you click the middle (less-often used) button
for halos.

I guess it's what you're used to.

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Ian Piumarta-2
On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Does that mean there is a well-defined "right" and "wrong" order?

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/897

HTH,
Ian

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Andreas.Raab
Damien Cassou wrote:
>> How many other people do this? If most people do, then it would be
>> preferable to have this by default in the image.
>
> It's not possible to swap the preference by default because Windows
> users will start complaining :-).

Easy to fix (and I'm all for it if the default preference is enabled in
the image): Make the switch coincide with a release and release both
image and VM together with the approporiate settings. The only reason
things are the way they are now on Windows is that many people have
two-button-mices (or touch pads) and without that mapping they don't get
context menus at all (which sucks badly).

Cheers,
    - Andreas

RE: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Gary Chambers-4
Does a two button mouse generate a middle button when both are pressed
simultaneously on Windows when 3 button mouse is selected for the VM (don't
know anymore, since I've had no 2 button mice for a long, long time)?

Though my laptop works like that. May be a setting for the touchpad
though...

Michael van der Gulik
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Damien Cassou wrote:
>>> How many other people do this? If most people do, then it would be
>>> preferable to have this by default in the image.
>>
>> It's not possible to swap the preference by default because Windows
>> users will start complaining :-).
>
> Easy to fix (and I'm all for it if the default preference is enabled in
> the image): Make the switch coincide with a release and release both
> image and VM together with the approporiate settings. The only reason
> things are the way they are now on Windows is that many people have
> two-button-mices (or touch pads) and without that mapping they don't get
> context menus at all (which sucks badly).

I've just added a Mantis entry, comments welcome:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6672

Michael.

Re: Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Michael Davies-2
On 14/09/2007, Ian Piumarta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
> > Does that mean there is a well-defined "right" and "wrong" order?
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/897

I'm not sure that this covers the situation for Macs (using John's VM).

When I click on any area, I can get four different responses. eg on a
Shout Workspace:
"Just" click - move cursor. ="red"
Command click - bring up halos ="blue"
Alt (option) click - untitled menu to "set font...", "accept",
"cancel" etc ="yellow"?
Control click - a "Shout Workspace" menu = "what colour is this"?

If I'm right in describing "alt-click" as "yellow button", how should
I describe "control click"?

On Sep 15, 2007, at 13:48 , Michael Davies wrote:

> On 14/09/2007, Ian Piumarta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>>
>>> Does that mean there is a well-defined "right" and "wrong" order?
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/897
>>

> I'm not sure that this covers the situation for Macs (using John's
> VM).
>
> When I click on any area, I can get four different responses. eg on a
> Shout Workspace:
> "Just" click - move cursor. ="red"
> Command click - bring up halos ="blue"
> Alt (option) click - untitled menu to "set font...", "accept",
> "cancel" etc ="yellow"?
> Control click - a "Shout Workspace" menu = "what colour is this"?
>
> If I'm right in describing "alt-click" as "yellow button", how should
> I describe "control click"?

"control red"

- Bert -

12