Right click weirdness

Schwab,Wilhelm K
To anyone using both Windows and Linux, please try moving an image between the two environments.  I started my programming today by copying an image from Linux to Windows.  Once on the latter, I found that right clicking did not work; I had to use the mouse wheel to get context menus.  Some time later, the right button started to work.  Maybe saving the image on the current machine jolts it???

Bill

Re: Right click weirdness

David Mitchell-10
I have moved between Linux and Windows.

I think the VMs do something different by default. Not on my machine to test.

Probably VM settings differences.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K<[hidden email]> wrote:

> To anyone using both Windows and Linux, please try moving an image between the two environments.  I started my programming today by copying an image from Linux to Windows.  Once on the latter, I found that right clicking did not work; I had to use the mouse wheel to get context menus.  Some time later, the right button started to work.  Maybe saving the image on the current machine jolts it???
>
> Bill

Re: Right click weirdness

csrabak

Em  24/08/2009 18:49,  Schwab,Wilhelm K  <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>  To anyone using both Windows  and Linux, please try moving an image
> between  the two environments.   I started  my programming  today by
> copying an image from Linux to Windows.  Once on the latter, I found
> that right  clicking did not work; I  had to use the  mouse wheel to
> get context  menus.  Some  time later, the  right button  started to
> work.  Maybe saving the image on the current machine jolts it???

Bill,

I'm trying to use both environments (albeit by now on two different
machines, but I intend to have at least one of them dual-boot) and I
see this behaviour, but I was attributing it to some snafu of my part
on setting of the VM.

The weirness is total here, it is not consistent even between Squeak
and Pharo images...

I'll start to take notes of this and report back.

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: Right click weirdness

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Em  24/08/2009 18:49,  Schwab,Wilhelm K  <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>  To anyone using both Windows  and Linux, please try moving an image
> between  the two environments.   I started  my programming  today by
> copying an image from Linux to Windows.  Once on the latter, I found
> that right  clicking did not work; I  had to use the  mouse wheel to
> get context  menus.  Some  time later, the  right button  started to
> work.  Maybe saving the image on the current machine jolts it???

Bill,

I'm trying to use both environments (albeit by now on two different
machines, but I intend to have at least one of them dual-boot) and I
see this behaviour, but I was attributing it to some snafu of my part
on setting of the VM.

The weirness is total here, it is not consistent even between Squeak
and Pharo images...

I'll start to take notes of this and report back.

There's history here. The middle mouse button (your "scrolly wheel") brought up the menu in ancient dialects of Smalltalk. Then it got messy when people preferred using the right mouse button for context menus and several hacks appeared in both the VM and the image in order to do so.

See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/897

IIRC the Windows VM can swap the middle and right mouse buttons with a setting in an .ini file or something. Ditto for the VM; at least in Squeak there's a preference for swapping the mouse buttons.

If you're completely confused, insert some logging code into the EventSensor (or whatever Pharo has instead of that) and see which mouse button the actual events are reporting. Then you can see if it's the VM or code in the image.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Right click weirdness

Adrian Lienhard
This problem, or at least part of it, likely comes from http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=838

I plan to do an integration round this evening to get this and other
fixed issues into the core.

Adrian