Right-justified table column?

Luke Gorrie
Is there an easy way to make a GLM table column right-justified?

I have some numeric columns and I think they would be easier to read if right-justified.

I am also still looking for a way to use a fixed-width font for various glamorous components like lists, tables, and text. This would help me to present semi-structured data that doesn't *quite* fit into uniform columns in a readable way. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!
-Luke

Re: Right-justified table column?

Andrei Chis
Hi,

By default there is no support for right-justified columns in Glamour.
But have a look at the glamour presentation based on fast table. With that presentation the #column:evaluated: method can also return a morph, not just a string. It might be possible to return a morph that aligns the content to the right.

What do you mean by fixed-width font? Do you have an example of what you'd like to do?

Cheers,
Andrei

On 30 March 2018 at 22:11, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

By default there is no support for right-justified columns in Glamour.
But have a look at the glamour presentation based on fast table. With that presentation the #column:evaluated: method can also return a morph, not just a string. It might be possible to return a morph that aligns the content to the right.

Thanks for that tip!

What do you mean by fixed-width font? Do you have an example of what you'd like to do?

If you have HTML enabled in your email client then I can demonstrate right here.

I would like to be able to format semi-structured text in a fixed-width font for neat alignment like this:

---- TRACE 1 start stdin:1
0006  MULVN    0   0   1  ; -3
0007  FORL     1 => 0006
---- TRACE 1 IR
....              SNAP   #0   [ ---- ]
0001 rbp      int SLOAD  #2    CI
0002 xmm7  >  num SLOAD  #1    T
0003 xmm7   + num MUL    0002  -3
0004 rbp    + int ADD    0001  +1
....              SNAP   #1   [ ---- 0003 ]
0005       >  int LE     0004  +1000
....              SNAP   #2   [ ---- 0003 0004 ---- ---- 0004 ]
0006 ------------ LOOP ------------
0007 xmm7   + num MUL    0003  -3
0008 rbp    + int ADD    0004  +1
....              SNAP   #3   [ ---- 0007 ]

and I would like to avoid presenting it with a variable-width font and wonky alignment like this:

---- TRACE 1 start stdin:1
0006  MULVN    0   0   1  ; -3
0007  FORL     1 => 0006
---- TRACE 1 IR
....              SNAP   #0   [ ---- ]
0001 rbp      int SLOAD  #2    CI
0002 xmm7  >  num SLOAD  #1    T
0003 xmm7   + num MUL    0002  -3
0004 rbp    + int ADD    0001  +1
....              SNAP   #1   [ ---- 0003 ]
0005       >  int LE     0004  +1000
....              SNAP   #2   [ ---- 0003 0004 ---- ---- 0004 ]
0006 ------------ LOOP ------------
0007 xmm7   + num MUL    0003  -3
0008 rbp    + int ADD    0004  +1
....              SNAP   #3   [ ---- 0007 ]

I realize that I could parse the structure of this text and e.g. present it with a fastTreeTable but I suspect this won't work very well when the structure of the data is not entirely uniform between rows.

Re: Right-justified table column?

Johan Fabry

A big +1 on being able to select a monospace typeface *anywhere* I want to display in a GT Inspector tab, e.g. both as part of a list/tree or as an extra tab for a bytestring.

I am starting to look at code in languages where x-offset is crucial and I have not looked at this in detail yet. I guess it should be possible, since GT uses a monospace font in its source code pane of the 'Meta' tab.

--

Johan Fabry,  Senior Software Engineer.

[hidden email] | Email too brief? Here's whyhttp://emailcharter.org