Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Does a high level overview exist of what still has to be done? Do we expect
any more potentially-disruptive changes or are we in/near the stabilization
phase?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

EstebanLM
still we have to release iceberg 0.7 then we’ll see how we are there.
and still we have to make a 64bit windows VM+image that works for us.
and we still need to fix that annoying debug blocking all bug
and of course, we have some leaks we still need to solve.

I think all the other issues are covered (I need to check and I can’t right now… but I have that feeling).

cheers,
Esteban

> On 27 Mar 2018, at 19:47, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does a high level overview exist of what still has to be done? Do we expect
> any more potentially-disruptive changes or are we in/near the stabilization
> phase?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Peter Uhnak
So I take it Cargo will not be in P7? (Assuming Cargo is still being developed, which it currently isn't.)

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
still we have to release iceberg 0.7 then we’ll see how we are there.
and still we have to make a 64bit windows VM+image that works for us.
and we still need to fix that annoying debug blocking all bug
and of course, we have some leaks we still need to solve.

I think all the other issues are covered (I need to check and I can’t right now… but I have that feeling).

cheers,
Esteban

> On 27 Mar 2018, at 19:47, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does a high level overview exist of what still has to be done? Do we expect
> any more potentially-disruptive changes or are we in/near the stabilization
> phase?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi,

btw, there is an interesting opened issue on Cargo's github page:

I wanted to let you know that the Rust programming language ships with a package manager that is also called Cargo, which is a trademarked part of the project. There definitely seems to be scope for confusion around the name. Can we work together to figure something out?

It is opened by Aaron Turon, Mozilla developer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Alex

On 27 March 2018 at 20:29, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I take it Cargo will not be in P7? (Assuming Cargo is still being developed, which it currently isn't.)

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
still we have to release iceberg 0.7 then we’ll see how we are there.
and still we have to make a 64bit windows VM+image that works for us.
and we still need to fix that annoying debug blocking all bug
and of course, we have some leaks we still need to solve.

I think all the other issues are covered (I need to check and I can’t right now… but I have that feeling).

cheers,
Esteban

> On 27 Mar 2018, at 19:47, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does a high level overview exist of what still has to be done? Do we expect
> any more potentially-disruptive changes or are we in/near the stabilization
> phase?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes we will rename it: Panier ou Cabas you see the stuff old ladies
are using to go shopping :)
Now we are not in hurry. It should work first.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:37 PM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> btw, there is an interesting opened issue on Cargo's github page:
> https://github.com/demarey/cargo/issues/32
>
>> I wanted to let you know that the Rust programming language ships with a
>> package manager that is also called Cargo, which is a trademarked part of
>> the project. There definitely seems to be scope for confusion around the
>> name. Can we work together to figure something out?
>

> It is opened by Aaron Turon, Mozilla developer.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> On 27 March 2018 at 20:29, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So I take it Cargo will not be in P7? (Assuming Cargo is still being
>> developed, which it currently isn't.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> still we have to release iceberg 0.7 then we’ll see how we are there.
>>> and still we have to make a 64bit windows VM+image that works for us.
>>> and we still need to fix that annoying debug blocking all bug
>>> and of course, we have some leaks we still need to solve.
>>>
>>> I think all the other issues are covered (I need to check and I can’t
>>> right now… but I have that feeling).
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Esteban

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Stephane Ducasse-3
- [easy] I want to have a package with all the deprecatedTransform
from Pharo current and paste versions.
- should check the removal of FTPlugin (tx tx tx pablo)
- newline abstraction because we should stop to have cr all the way?
- Clap command-line (yes damien please push)
- Remove Versionner, Komitter, Nautilus
- Improve calypso

We are working on Spec2. Denis is working on an architecture:
- no more adapter
- no more interpreter
- working with Morphic and Bloc.

So we will see. As soon as it feels ok I would like to rewrite many
tools with it.
And we will need help.

Since Glamour is not really maintained anymore and source of some
leaks and problems, we want to remove any users
except GTTools.

Stef

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does a high level overview exist of what still has to be done? Do we expect
> any more potentially-disruptive changes or are we in/near the stabilization
> phase?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Peter Uhnak
Since Glamour is not really maintained anymore and source of some
leaks and problems, we want to remove any users
except GTTools.

Can you please provide more info on this? What exactly is going to be removed?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Stephane Ducasse-3
Iceberg :)
And all the user of Glamour that are not GT.

Stef

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Since Glamour is not really maintained anymore and source of some
>> leaks and problems, we want to remove any users
>> except GTTools.
>

> Can you please provide more info on this? What exactly is going to be
> removed?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Peter Uhnak
What does this means for end users?

I use Glamour extensively... does it mean that I will have to abandon all that code, or just that I need to load Glamour explicitly?

Thanks,
Peter

On 31 Mar 2018, at 17:17, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

What does this means for end users?

nothing.
we are removing some *users* of glamour.
Not glamour itself and certainly not the gttools that use glamour intensively (and they allow easy extension).

I use Glamour extensively... does it mean that I will have to abandon all that code, or just that I need to load Glamour explicitly?

Glamour is not leaving the image!

cheers,
Esteban

ps: but there are leaks around we would like to discover how and when they happen (because they are not so many and not evident). Any help there is welcome :)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:52 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 31 Mar 2018, at 17:17, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

What does this means for end users?

nothing.
we are removing some *users* of glamour.
Not glamour itself and certainly not the gttools that use glamour intensively (and they allow easy extension).

Aaah. My heart skipped originally, now I am at peace. :)

ps: but there are leaks around we would like to discover how and when they happen (because they are not so many and not evident). Any help there is welcome :)

I'll keep that in mind, although I don't usually check whether there are any pointers dangling.

Thanks!
Peter

Re: Roadmap to Pharo 7 Release

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Peter

Now we do not want to rely on Glamour. You should pay attention since
it is not maintained and producing memory leaks
and we would like to avoid to have to fight to find them.
I do not know what are the plans of feenk at this level.
This is why we started to redesign Spec.

Stef