Roadmap

Gwenaël Casaccio
Hi,

I've opened a small wiki entry in my gst repository;
I propose to everybody to look at the roadmap of
gst. It's time to move on and define a clear vision of gst.

I've added few ideas I've in my mind; first I want a new
website. Some unused tools need to be removed (java,
blox). I would like to introduce a simple model view controler
framework for a 3.4 release. My ideas are simple I would like
to focus on few simple stuffs: ui (mvp for gtk), networking (seaside3,
pop, imap, http), scripting.

If you've others ideas put them in the wiki !!!

https://github.com/GwenaelCasaccio/smalltalk/wiki/Roadmap

Gwen

Re: Roadmap

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 15/01/2013 18:55, Gwenaël Casaccio ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I've opened a small wiki entry in my gst repository;
> I propose to everybody to look at the roadmap of
> gst. It's time to move on and define a clear vision of gst.
>
> I've added few ideas I've in my mind; first I want a new
> website. Some unused tools need to be removed (java,
> blox). I would like to introduce a simple model view controler
> framework for a 3.4 release. My ideas are simple I would like
> to focus on few simple stuffs: ui (mvp for gtk), networking (seaside3,
> pop, imap, http), scripting.
>
> If you've others ideas put them in the wiki !!!
>
> https://github.com/GwenaelCasaccio/smalltalk/wiki/Roadmap

Please use the smalltalk.gnu.org website instead or the etherpad that
Holger set up (https://etherpad.mozilla.org/bRWJnDHiUu).

Paolo

Re: Roadmap

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

Any interest to port Aida/Web framework to GST? Cuis guys are just doing
that, so in parallel I can help you with a port too. Of course if there
will be some maintainer of that port for a long-term ...

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Roadmap

Holger Freyther
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:08:11PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Any interest to port Aida/Web framework to GST? Cuis guys are just doing
> that, so in parallel I can help you with a port too. Of course if there
> will be some maintainer of that port for a long-term ...

Hi,

I tried to download a MCZ file to check how much work it would be. What I
am interested in is how to do you maintain the different versions? E.g. if
someone submits a patch does it need to be submitted for ACME VM? How do you
make sure that all versions work equal?

holger

Re: Roadmap

Janko Mivšek
Hi Holger,

Dne 16. 01. 2013 20:51, piše Holger Hans Peter Freyther:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:08:11PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> Any interest to port Aida/Web framework to GST? Cuis guys are just doing
>> that, so in parallel I can help you with a port too. Of course if there
>> will be some maintainer of that port for a long-term ...

> I tried to download a MCZ file to check how much work it would be. What I
> am interested in is how to do you maintain the different versions? E.g. if
> someone submits a patch does it need to be submitted for ACME VM? How do you
> make sure that all versions work equal?

Aida code is pretty portable, that is, if during porting some
nonportable code is found, then a least common denominator between
dialects is tried to be first found. If not found then the dialect
specific method is marked as such in method comment, like "Squeak
specific". There are not much such methods. To found them you have a
special browser (on VW for now) to find and browse them.

Currently main development is continuous on VisualWorks and continuously
production tested, then a Squeak/Pharo port is done and released
together with VW as public release. Other ports like Dolphin is done
later by a dialect specific maintainer.

So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
procedure but this can be changed of course.

Best regards
Janko

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:38:44PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
> procedure but this can be changed of course.

Is this porting a manual process or do you have tools to port from Pharo
FileOut to other dialects? And could you please point me to the current
MCZ file of Aida? http://mc.aidaweb.si/ is currently not serving any files.

holger

Re: Roadmap

Janko Mivšek
Hi Holger,

Dne 17. 01. 2013 08:34, piše Holger Hans Peter Freyther:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:38:44PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
>> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
>> procedure but this can be changed of course.
>
> Is this porting a manual process or do you have tools to port from Pharo
> FileOut to other dialects? And could you please point me to the current
> MCZ file of Aida? http://mc.aidaweb.si/ is currently not serving any files.

We moved now to SmalltalkHub, team Aida. You can find a project at:

        Aida project: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida/Aida
        Aida team: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida

(I just updated this info on http://www.aidaweb.si/community) too.

Procedure to port a new version from VW to Squeak/Pharo is briefly as
follows:

- Fileout the differences from VW
    (parcel FileOut30 loaded, VW30 (not Squeak) fileout format!)
- from File browser in Squeak/Pharo open this file as Code
- now manually load method by method while checking parallely the code
changes in very nice VW diff browser. Manually do also class changes and
any method removals.

This takes me few hours per release of work. Much more work is to
prepare an actual release, so I think it is not worth to automatize this
procedure much more. But user level testing (by tools like Selenium)
would help much here. Together with Continuous integration with Jenkins
(as we already have for Pharo).

Hope this clarifies the porting procedure a bit :)

Janko

Il 16/01/2013 22:38, Janko Mivšek ha scritto:

>> > I tried to download a MCZ file to check how much work it would be. What I
>> > am interested in is how to do you maintain the different versions? E.g. if
>> > someone submits a patch does it need to be submitted for ACME VM? How do you
>> > make sure that all versions work equal?
> Aida code is pretty portable, that is, if during porting some
> nonportable code is found, then a least common denominator between
> dialects is tried to be first found. If not found then the dialect
> specific method is marked as such in method comment, like "Squeak
> specific". There are not much such methods. To found them you have a
> special browser (on VW for now) to find and browse them.
>
> Currently main development is continuous on VisualWorks and continuously
> production tested, then a Squeak/Pharo port is done and released
> together with VW as public release. Other ports like Dolphin is done
> later by a dialect specific maintainer.
>
> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
> procedure but this can be changed of course.

Honestly, I'd be reluctant to do that because I am still waiting for my
Swazoo improvements (both portability fixes and performance
improvements) to be committed, after 2 years---even though I did the
porting to Pharo myself and submitted nice changesets.

Paolo

Re: Roadmap

Janko Mivšek
Hi Paolo,

Dne 17. 01. 2013 14:48, piše Paolo Bonzini:

>> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
>> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
>> procedure but this can be changed of course.
>
> Honestly, I'd be reluctant to do that because I am still waiting for my
> Swazoo improvements (both portability fixes and performance
> improvements) to be committed, after 2 years---even though I did the
> porting to Pharo myself and submitted nice changesets.

"Don't touch if it works" mentality is in works here, I admit :) That
is, Swazoo works, and it was spent quite some time in optimizations by
me before. Including input/output streaming support. To include your
patches would need quite some time carefully integrating, testing etc..
Are they improve Swazoo so much to be worth spend that time? Not that I
won't integrate them, but I really don't have much time these days.
That's why only important things like WebSocket support were integrated
recently.

Janko

Il 17/01/2013 14:58, Janko Mivšek ha scritto:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> Dne 17. 01. 2013 14:48, piše Paolo Bonzini:
>
>>> So, a patch would be submitted on GST, later ported to VW and production
>>> tested, then down-ported to all other dialects. This is how is a current
>>> procedure but this can be changed of course.
>>
>> Honestly, I'd be reluctant to do that because I am still waiting for my
>> Swazoo improvements (both portability fixes and performance
>> improvements) to be committed, after 2 years---even though I did the
>> porting to Pharo myself and submitted nice changesets.
>
> "Don't touch if it works" mentality is in works here, I admit :) That
> is, Swazoo works, and it was spent quite some time in optimizations by
> me before.

For some of them, the point is that GNU Smalltalk doesn't have the same
(Smalltalk-80) implementation of streams as Squeak and VW, so
SwazooBuffer almost needed a rewrite.  I also made it portable and
faster.  And when I sent it, it was against top of tree, now it requires
a refresh and I don't have time to do it.

Streams are very efficient in GNU Smalltalk, so some problems may come
up that aren't visible in other dialects.

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/bonzinip/optimizing-http-header-manipulation-part-2

  "11% of the time is spent converting strings to uppercase. And
  another 8% is spent iterating through a dictionary. Neither thing
  seems very cunning; though in defense of the Swazoo authors, these
  11+8=19% represented a meager 3% before my optimizations on streams."

Also, the other functionality (SCGI) is used by Nicolas Petton.  He's
using all of it in production.

Paolo

> Including input/output streaming support. To include your
> patches would need quite some time carefully integrating, testing etc..
> Are they improve Swazoo so much to be worth spend that time? Not that I
> won't integrate them, but I really don't have much time these days.
> That's why only important things like WebSocket support were integrated
> recently.
>
> Janko

Re: Roadmap

Holger Freyther
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:54:40PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:

Dear Janko,

> Aida project: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida/Aida
> Aida team: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida

I tried to load the code but the snapshot.st inside your mcz looks
corrupt. I looked at AdvancedSearch>>#preparedCriteria but after the
ifTrue: something weird happens with the encoding? is that on purpose?
I don't know if 0x0000000D 0x00000009 is a valid BOM.

holger

Re: Roadmap

Janko Mivšek
Hi Holger,

Dne 27. 01. 2013 16:21, piše Holger Hans Peter Freyther:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:54:40PM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
> Dear Janko,
>

>> Aida project: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida/Aida
>> Aida team: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Aida
>
> I tried to load the code but the snapshot.st inside your mcz looks
> corrupt. I looked at AdvancedSearch>>#preparedCriteria but after the
> ifTrue: something weird happens with the encoding? is that on purpose?
> I don't know if 0x0000000D 0x00000009 is a valid BOM.

Hmm, this version for StHub loaded in Pharo without problems last time I
tried. Also the #preparedCriteria don't contain any non-ASCII character
as I can see, nor the

Can you try to load this .mcz in Pharo first to check it?

Janko