Roassal 2 disable browser and vis. animations

Roassal 2 disable browser and vis. animations

kuszi
Hello Group,

since yesterday I'm investigating the Roassal examples.

Udderlying system is:

  • Pharo-50761.image
  • pharo-spur --version
    5.0 #1 Wed May  4 11:54:28 CEST 2016 gcc 4.6.3 [Production Spur ITHB VM]
    CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.1855 uuid: d8e4a3c2-a3bf-4adc-b224-8012903a1ef4 May  4 2016
    StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.1855 uuid: d8e4a3c2-a3bf-4adc-b224-8012903a1ef4 May  4 2016
    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm.git Commit: b8ec25a570d7539653e1d793e97609adb509aaed Date: 2016-05-04 11:14:22 +0200 By: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> Jenkins build #589
    Linux pharo-linux 3.2.0-31-generic-pae #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:39:45 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    plugin path: /usr/share/pharo/spur/ [default: /usr/share/pharo/spur/]

Roassal is loaded like this:
  • Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser:
    'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';

    configurationOf: 'Roassal2';

    loadStable.

In the office (yes, in worktime :)  ) I also tested on Windows 7.

I only click through all the built in Roassal examples. I AM IMPRESSED! Very powerful system, even the GIS (map) part with OSM integration (VOW!)

Anyway, on windows it crashed many times (On WIndows I downloaded this: http://moosetechnology.org/res/download/moose_suite_6_0-win.zip)

I observed that windows crash moment was always some kind of animation (window transition animation of the Roassal exmaples browser or visualization animation like pan or zoom).

Question:

  • Is there a way to disable Roassal visualization animations?
  • is there a way to disable window component animation in the Roassal Example Browser? (When clicking on the dots and moving between examples list and the visualization example itself, for example)

I wonder if it would make the windows run more stable.

On Linux it is OK but also painfully slow (ok, old machines).

I prefer animationless repaint of the visualization canvas and window transitions.

thanks

Robert

Re: Roassal 2 disable browser and vis. animations

Peter Uhnak
On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:04:00PM +0200, Robert Kuszinger wrote:

> Anyway, on windows it crashed many times (On WIndows I downloaded this:
> http://moosetechnology.org/res/download/moose_suite_6_0-win.zip)

The VM is not particularly stable even on linux when it comes to FreeType and Cairo.
Considering crashes on Windows do not even produce crash dumps, I don't see the problems being fixed anytime soon (unless the fix for linux will also magically fix windows too).

> I observed that windows crash moment was always some kind of animation
> (window transition animation of the Roassal exmaples browser or
> visualization animation like pan or zoom).

It crashes during cairo repaint, and it doesn't really matter what it was triggered by.

> Question:
>

>    - Is there a way to disable Roassal visualization animations?

No, because it doesn't exist. (See the end.)

>    - is there a way to disable window component animation in the Roassal
>    Example Browser? (When clicking on the dots and moving between examples
>    list and the visualization example itself, for example)

I don't know what you mean. But if you think that it would prevent the crashes, then know it will not.

> I wonder if it would make the windows run more stable.

No. That's VM / VM+plugins issue.

> On Linux it is OK but also painfully slow (ok, old machines).

Some examples visualize a ton of data, so they are slow. (There are not many performance optimizations in Roassal.)

> I prefer animationless repaint of the visualization canvas and window
> transitions.

There is nothing like "animationless" or "animationfull" repaint, just like video is just static images repainted in fast succession (e.g. 30 or 60 images per second).
Repaint is a repaint. If it looks "animated", that's because there are many repaints occurring quickly.

Peter

Re: Roassal 2 disable browser and vis. animations

stepharo

Hi robert

We have a stability problem with freetype and we will address it in the coming months.

Stef

Le 27/8/16 à 12:04, Robert Kuszinger a écrit :
[...]

Peter,

thanks for the fast reply. I'll take it into consideration.

I have some server solutions in mind for dashboard functionality especially with maps. Since it is not interactive it is not touched by animations, but it could affect development/testing phase of the visualization compositions.

However, your comment on general Cairo/Typeset issues is more interesting. I'll take care before offering end-user solutions using these frameworks.

Best regards
Robert

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:04:00PM +0200, Robert Kuszinger wrote:

> Anyway, on windows it crashed many times (On WIndows I downloaded this:
> http://moosetechnology.org/res/download/moose_suite_6_0-win.zip)

The VM is not particularly stable even on linux when it comes to FreeType and Cairo.
Considering crashes on Windows do not even produce crash dumps, I don't see the problems being fixed anytime soon (unless the fix for linux will also magically fix windows too).

[...]

Re: Roassal 2 disable browser and vis. animations

abergel
Hello Robert!

Thanks for your nice word!
We are aware of the instability. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do right now.
The animation you mention cannot be disabled, as it is part of the GT inspector.

All we can say, is to be patient. Pharo and Roassal will be stable...

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu