Roassal Examples in VA 8.6.1

Peter van Rooijen-2
Hi,

Is there a working version of Roassal in VA ST?

We saw slides from John O'Keefe from the
23rd ESUG Conference Brescia, Italy July 13-17, 2015

He had a Roassal Visualization in a window.

Does the Version on VASt Goodies Work? (we used 0.1.7 with Announcements Core SH 1.0- MSK 8.6-06)

We found that methods like

!ROVAWidgetFactory class publicMethods !

forView: aView windowSized: aPoint! !

were empty, so we could not open any views.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

Re: Roassal Examples in VA 8.6.1

John O'Keefe-3
Hello Peter -

Sorry, there is not a working version of Roassal for VA Smalltalk. The VAStGoodies Roassal project was never completed.

John

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:23:41 PM UTC-5, Peter van Rooijen wrote:
Hi,

Is there a working version of Roassal in VA ST?

We saw slides from John O'Keefe from the
23rd ESUG Conference Brescia, Italy July 13-17, 2015

He had a Roassal Visualization in a window.

Does the Version on VASt Goodies Work? (we used 0.1.7 with Announcements Core SH 1.0- MSK 8.6-06)

We found that methods like

!ROVAWidgetFactory class publicMethods !

forView: aView windowSized: aPoint! !

were empty, so we could not open any views.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

Re: Roassal Examples in VA 8.6.1

Peter van Rooijen-2
That's unfortunate. Why was it not completed? Too much work and not enough time or other causes?

I would like to explore if I can do something to make Roassal available at VASTGoodies. It seems pretty cool and I don't believe something similar is already available in VA.

Where do you think I should start? Starting from what you have already done? Or starting from Roassal2 in Pharo? I have not done a lot of research, and really have no idea?

It seems like it could be a lot of work though. Any estimates on the amount of work? I'd really like to get some tips here about what what be smart/dumb to try.

I thought it might be nice to target the version that the Agile Visualization book targets, but I haven't read it, so don't know if it's any good.

In any case, any ideas (including: oh no, better port this other thing!) are very welcome!

Cheers, Peter

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:12:26 PM UTC+1, John O'Keefe wrote:
Hello Peter -

Sorry, there is not a working version of Roassal for VA Smalltalk. The VAStGoodies Roassal project was never completed.

John

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:23:41 PM UTC-5, Peter van Rooijen wrote:
Hi,

Is there a working version of Roassal in VA ST?

We saw slides from John O'Keefe from the
23rd ESUG Conference Brescia, Italy July 13-17, 2015

He had a Roassal Visualization in a window.

Does the Version on VASt Goodies Work? (we used 0.1.7 with Announcements Core SH 1.0- MSK 8.6-06)

We found that methods like

!ROVAWidgetFactory class publicMethods !

forView: aView windowSized: aPoint! !

were empty, so we could not open any views.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

Re: Roassal Examples in VA 8.6.1

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Peter,

The Roassal package is lacking a RoassalView implementation.
I started to implement one, but it was not finished.
I did not have the time to finish it in my spare time back then and it seemed there was not much interest in a port.

The Roassal code available under vastgoodies is rather old and it might be a good idea to port a newer version to VAST.

If you would like to give it a try, I can send you the sources and you can see how much work it might be to finish a basic version.

Sebastian