classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Roassal in Amber

PabloEstefo
Hi guys,

Together with Alexandre Bergel and Manfred Kröhnert, I have worked on porting the Roassal visualisation engine (which is developed in Pharo) to amber. 
Roassal’s vision is to be the ultimate library to visualize data (although we are not there yet, we are on a fast lane :). Whereas javaScript libraries such as d3 and RaphaelJS are excellent to visualize things in a very verbose fashion, Roassal visualisations are described in a very concise way by being closer to your visualized domain (by the way, Roassal uses RaphaelJS). Just check the examples found on:

You can edit the examples in the workspace, execute (select all and click on do-it) it and see how the visualisation changes. Remember to select the whole text before do-it-ing. 

There are other basic examples you can try in the ROExample class (ARoassa-Demo category).

This is just the beginning, we’ll show you more stuff soon. We are interested in getting feedback and your experience. 
Do you have a need for visualisation on your web application? Can I help you to switch to Roassal?

This was part of a ESUG Summer of Code program (an extra Google Summer of Code project).

Cheers,
Pablo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Eno
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Roassal in Amber

Eno
Bravo

Raphael, Kineticjs, which are better? I don't know but I like to play them on Amber.

Kineticjs poritng had quirks on it's way of calling in js on my layman level, anyway.

Best

Pablo Estefo於 2013年11月19日星期二UTC+8下午11時04分21秒寫道:
Hi guys,

Together with Alexandre Bergel and Manfred Kröhnert, I have worked on porting the Roassal visualisation engine (which is developed in Pharo) to amber. 
Roassal’s vision is to be the ultimate library to visualize data (although we are not there yet, we are on a fast lane :). Whereas javaScript libraries such as d3 and RaphaelJS are excellent to visualize things in a very verbose fashion, Roassal visualisations are described in a very concise way by being closer to your visualized domain (by the way, Roassal uses RaphaelJS). Just check the examples found on:

You can edit the examples in the workspace, execute (select all and click on do-it) it and see how the visualisation changes. Remember to select the whole text before do-it-ing. 

There are other basic examples you can try in the ROExample class (ARoassa-Demo category).

This is just the beginning, we’ll show you more stuff soon. We are interested in getting feedback and your experience. 
Do you have a need for visualisation on your web application? Can I help you to switch to Roassal?

This was part of a ESUG Summer of Code program (an extra Google Summer of Code project).

Cheers,
Pablo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Bernat Romagosa
Real nice, Pablo :)

2013/11/19 EnoX1 <[hidden email]>
Bravo

Raphael, Kineticjs, which are better? I don't know but I like to play them on Amber.

Kineticjs poritng had quirks on it's way of calling in js on my layman level, anyway.

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Eno
Reply | Threaded
|

Eno

Excellent porting of the whole system.

BTW, As I see, it is done on 0.11, could it be migrated to the Amber 0.12 ?

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bernat Romagosa於 2013年11月20日星期三UTC+8上午12時02分57秒寫道:

2013/11/19 EnoX1 <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5V-lZPc_xmwJ">tgk...@...>
Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5V-lZPc_xmwJ">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
Yes, making Roassal work on the last version of Amber is indeed our plan. We will soon announce new extensions of Roassal for charts and graphs drawing :)

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 21-11-2013 à 6:30, EnoX1 <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Best regards.

tgkuo

2013/11/19 EnoX1 <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5V-lZPc_xmwJ">tgk...@...>
Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5V-lZPc_xmwJ">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--
Eno
Reply | Threaded
|

Eno

Best look forward.

Another trivial question,  How to disable the web editor 'commit' function? As I noticed that this function is disable on your porting. My main concern on open my web editor or using the develop mode of amber on the web is that everyone understanding the system could easily change my codes, How to avoid it and give authentication to edit for those allowed in the meantime.

Best regards.

Alexandre.Bergel於 2013年11月21日星期四UTC+8下午6時59分02秒寫道:
Yes, making Roassal work on the last version of Amber is indeed our plan. We will soon announce new extensions of Roassal for charts and graphs drawing :)

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 21-11-2013 à 6:30, EnoX1 <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="GYz65u1gSogJ">tgk...@...> a écrit :

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="GYz65u1gSogJ">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
you cant store the  changed code when amber is run as web site. You will have to run amber locally via node.js to allow you to generate st and js file which is how amber stores code. So any code you edit will be lost when the page will be opened again and of course none of the edits will be stored so your code is safe. 

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM, EnoX1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best look forward.

Another trivial question,  How to disable the web editor 'commit' function? As I noticed that this function is disable on your porting. My main concern on open my web editor or using the develop mode of amber on the web is that everyone understanding the system could easily change my codes, How to avoid it and give authentication to edit for those allowed in the meantime.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

PabloEstefo
Thanks Kilon for your answer.

If you want to adapt and save your changes you will have to clone the repo and run a nodejs server locally. The steps to do that are described here: https://github.com/pestefo/roamber#installation

BTW, If you have an idea or a visualisation you’d like to port from other viz. library just ask.

Cheers, 
Pablo
On Nov 21, 2013, at 8:46, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

you cant store the  changed code when amber is run as web site. You will have to run amber locally via node.js to allow you to generate st and js file which is how amber stores code. So any code you edit will be lost when the page will be opened again and of course none of the edits will be stored so your code is safe. 

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
Hi Kilon,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
you cant store the  changed code when amber is run as web site. 
You will have to run amber locally via node.js to allow you to generate st and js file which is how amber stores code. So any code you edit will be lost when the page will be opened again and of course none of the edits will be stored so your code is safe. 

unfortunately, your statement is not correct.
It depends on how you serve the website.
You can obviously use the Amber server instead of Apache to serve an Amber based website and there you can also commit code.
The Amber server is just not meant for high traffic sites.
On the other hand you can also use Apache with WebDAV enable to commit code from within Amber back to the server

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
In reply to this post by Eno
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM, EnoX1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best look forward.

What you basically have is that users can load the website and edit the Amber code.
What you do not want is that users without authorization can commit code back to the server.

This can for example be achieved with the Amber server.
You can use BASIC HTTP Authentication by specifying a username and password but is not really recommended for production.
For one, you shouldn't have a production website where the code can be changed by users while it is running.
Also, BASIC HTTP Authentication would at least need an SSL/TLS secured connection because the password is transmitted in clear text.
And third, the Amber server doesn't have real user management.

You could also use Apache/Nginx or some other server to secure some directories with passwords.
But be careful, since you just want to restrict PUT requests and not GET requests.

Best,
Manfred

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
In reply to this post by Eno
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM, EnoX1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Amber 0.12.x was still in development during the Summer of code.
Therefore we decided to stick to 0.11.0, the latest stable version to not chase a moving target.

Porting to 0.12.x is planned in the near future.

Best,
Manfred

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by Manfred Kröhnert
I dont think my statement is incorrect because if you do that then you had the clear intention to allow your users to edit and change / store edited source code. I was replying to a person that clearly did not want to do that. Correct me if I am wrong but amber server runs on node.js . I thought node.js is fine for large websites. 

Also you have to explicit load the IDE in your html file for all this to happen. So its clear that its unlikely that accidentally your users will edit amber code unless you took the correct steps to allow them to do so.  

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

You will have to run amber locally via node.js to allow you to generate st and js file which is how amber stores code. So any code you edit will be lost when the page will be opened again and of course none of the edits will be stored so your code is safe. 

You can obviously use the Amber server instead of Apache to serve an Amber based website and there you can also commit code.
On the other hand you can also use Apache with WebDAV enable to commit code from within Amber back to the server

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Kilon,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont think my statement is incorrect because if you do that then you had the clear intention to allow your users to edit and change / store edited source code. I was replying to a person that clearly did not want to do that.

the statement "you cant store the  changed code when amber is run as web site" is not correct.
You can do that, as I wrote in my other email (Amber server or Apache/Nginx).
Additionally, you are not limited to run the Amber server only on localhost.
I am using this method for remote development.

The question of the original email was "How to avoid it and give authentication to edit for those allowed".
So the intention is to allow editing the smalltalk code but prevent unauthorized commits of the code to the server.

Correct me if I am wrong but amber server runs on node.js . I thought node.js is fine for large websites. 

Node.js by itself is meant to be capable of running large websites.
However, the Amber server we are referring to is designed as a simple development server.
It lacks many features you would need/expect from a scalable application server.

Also you have to explicit load the IDE in your html file for all this to happen. So its clear that its unlikely that accidentally your users will edit amber code unless you took the correct steps to allow them to do so.  

Correct.
If you don't want users to easily mess with your code you should not load the development tools.

Best,
Manfred

Hi Kilon,

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
 I stand corrected I should have phrased my answer more carefully. Thank you for taking the time clarifying things and explaining. 

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

I dont think my statement is incorrect because if you do that then you had the clear intention to allow your users to edit and change / store edited source code. I was replying to a person that clearly did not want to do that.

the statement "you cant store the  changed code when amber is run as web site" is not correct.

The question of the original email was "How to avoid it and give authentication to edit for those allowed".
So the intention is to allow editing the smalltalk code but prevent unauthorized commits of the code to the server.

Correct me if I am wrong but amber server runs on node.js . I thought node.js is fine for large websites. 

However, the Amber server we are referring to is designed as a simple development server.
It lacks many features you would need/expect from a scalable application server.

Correct.
If you don't want users to easily mess with your code you should not load the development tools.

Best,
Manfred

Hi Kilon,

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Kilon,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I stand corrected I should have phrased my answer more carefully. Thank you for taking the time clarifying things and explaining. 

thanks.
My answer was not to annoy you (hopefully) but to make sure everybody understands what can and can not be done.
We probably have to adjust the documentation to make this more clear.

Hi Kilon,

Correct.

Best,
Manfred

Hi Kilon,

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
no no no you dont annoy me , never , ever :D 

I really meant it. And you had every right to correct to clear any misunderstanding. I am as flawed as the next human creature, so being corrected is something I welcome. 

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks.
My answer was not to annoy you (hopefully) but to make sure everybody understands what can and can not be done.

Hi Kilon,

Correct.

Best,
Manfred

Hi Kilon,

Best,
Manfred

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
Eno
Reply | Threaded
|

Eno
Not intention to open that issue so far.

I used to do remote devleopment on Amber as Manfred does and with the system inside dropbox folder for realtime update of the edited files,  while I'm off office at my home desktop. This way gave a lot of convenience at my leisure time.

The thing that bothered me by  Amber and/or it's future versions is that the amber web site might become more slowed at reloading the comitted contents at updating and more new functionality addons, making the remote editing more time consuming but in the new version 0.12, it had the advantage gained by new compiler with much improved comitting speed.

Amber wound became slowed  significantly esp. at  low bandwidth, it might be worsened while the Amber system becoming more bulky, by adding more bower_component,  requirejs and other node support modules.

It became not as swifty and to be more bandwidth-demanding comparing to other implementation. If it is inevitable for the smalltalk runtime, it may be a factor to stop it from large scale scalable application, I think.

Just a think.

Best regards.

kilon alios於 2013年11月23日星期六UTC+8下午7時14分37秒寫道:
no no no you dont annoy me , never , ever :D 

I really meant it. And you had every right to correct to clear any misunderstanding. I am as flawed as the next human creature, so being corrected is something I welcome. 

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Manfred Kröhnert <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">mkroeh...@...> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM, kilon alios <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">kilon...@...> wrote:

thanks.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Manfred Kröhnert <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">mkroeh...@...> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM, kilon alios <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">kilon...@...> wrote:

Correct.

Best,
Manfred

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Manfred Kröhnert <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">mkroeh...@...> wrote:
Hi Kilon,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM, kilon alios <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">kilon...@...> wrote:

Best,
Manfred

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM, EnoX1 <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">tgk...@...> wrote:

Best look forward.

Best regards.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Best regards.

tgkuo

Bravo

Best

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Pablo

--

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kkDw_Dx8iq8J" _originalhref="javascript:">amber-lang+...@googlegroups.com.

--

--

--

--

--

--