Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Stéphane Ducasse
I would like to see packages with their names
classes with their names….

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Usman Bhatti
Simple shapes with text:
ROMondrianExample new centeredText

A more complex example with flyover names:

view := ROMondrianViewBuilder new.
ROMondrianExample new addingNameOn: view.
view open.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to see packages with their names
classes with their names….

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Uko2
you mean something like:

view elements do: [ :el |
  el + (ROLabel text: [ el model ]) ]

?

On 07 Dec 2013, at 18:41, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to see packages with their names
> classes with their names….
>
> Stef

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Ok how do I use that in the easel?

"
| view |
view := ROMondrianViewBuilder new.
self centeredTextOn: view.
view open

centeredTextOn: view

view shape rectangle; withCenteredText;  width: 180; height: 20.
view node: 'centered text'.

view shape rectangle; withText;  width: 180; height: 20.
view node: 'left text'.

- how do I say that I want the text from the node?
- how can I get the Konkrator used?
- …...

Moose gives me the impression that it is powerful but never used for real because the last details is not fully ironed.

Stef

Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 6.54.08 PM.pdf (69K) Download Attachment

On Dec 7, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you mean something like:
>
> view elements do: [ :el |
>  el + (ROLabel text: [ el model ]) ]
>
> ?

I guess somehow.
Now can I use that in the roassal easel/.
Can I mix that with mondrian script?

> On 07 Dec 2013, at 18:41, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see packages with their names
>> classes with their names….
>>
>> Stef

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Stéphane Ducasse
view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 2 ].
view  shape withCenteredText: [:each | each name].
view nodes: packageGroup.
view gridLayout

Does not work nicely

On 07 Dec 2013, at 18:57, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 7, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

you mean something like:

view elements do: [ :el |
el + (ROLabel text: [ el model ]) ]

?

I guess somehow.
Now can I use that in the roassal easel/.
Can I mix that with mondrian script?

Yes, you do

rawView := view raw.

and then work with rawView which is ROView

Uko

On 07 Dec 2013, at 18:41, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to see packages with their names
classes with their names….

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok but my script (which does not work is

view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
view nodes: packageGroup.
view gridLayout

how do I turn that in roassal.

Where can I find an example?
Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?

On 07 Dec 2013, at 19:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok but my script (which does not work is
>
> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
> view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
> view nodes: packageGroup.
> view gridLayout
>

> how do I turn that in roassal.
>
> Where can I find an example?
> Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?

Oh, ok.

rawView := view raw.
rawView addAll: (ROElement forCollection: packageGroup).

rawView elements do: [ :el |
  el size: el model classes size * 5.
  el + ROBorder.
  el + (ROCenteredLabel text: [ MalKontractor reduce: el model name upTo: 8 ]) ].

ROGridLayout on: rawView elements.

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks yuri
Now I would like the shape not to be influenced by the text.

So far I have the impression that I should spend a month or two to build
my own tools and this depressed me so much….

Stef

On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07 Dec 2013, at 19:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok but my script (which does not work is
>>
>> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
>> view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
>> view nodes: packageGroup.
>> view gridLayout
>>

>> how do I turn that in roassal.
>>
>> Where can I find an example?
>> Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?
>
> Oh, ok.
>
> rawView := view raw.
> rawView addAll: (ROElement forCollection: packageGroup).
>
> rawView elements do: [ :el |
>  el size: el model classes size * 5.
>  el + ROBorder.
>  el + (ROCenteredLabel text: [ MalKontractor reduce: el model name upTo: 8 ]) ].
>
> ROGridLayout on: rawView elements.

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Uko2
I was complaining about visualisation to. Michele suggested to revive HotDraw :)

Uko

On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was complaining about visualisation to. Michele suggested to revive HotDraw :)

It looks a bit well….. from another age.
I do not see why we would need hotdraw to do anything. May be michele should have a look
at what we have under to trunk.
I'm not bashing roassal. I'm saying that Moose does not exploit it well (and that roassal should provide way to cut symbol).

the problem is different and have nothing to do with the framwork but more to the use of the framework.

        - first having a real visualisation with menu proposing semantics action like delete, select connected, mark,,,
        would make a huge difference.

        - second, really using the tools for a real scenario will show that we have 95% but the last 5% are like the labels missing
        the shrinking label in the distribution map.
        the difference is that when adrian and doru implemented distribution map the first time, they spent attention to the details
        now we can do a dsitributino in roassal but it was lacking the care to the little details like the shrinking of the labels.

Look for example at the metaBrowser. in four methods you have it and it is cool.
So I imagine that if someone would spend a bit of time really improving the default visualziations then we would
get something really cool. Now everybody focuses on his little papers and we get the wonderful 4 lines scripts visualisation.

Stef

On 07 Dec 2013, at 23:17, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was complaining about visualisation to. Michele suggested to revive HotDraw :)

It looks a bit well….. from another age.
I do not see why we would need hotdraw to do anything. May be michele should have a look
at what we have under to trunk.

It’s simply because moose + roassal are missing vital tools that were available long time ago in code crawler. I won’t describe a visualisation problems now. We will meet in a week and have plenty of time to talk about it.

Uko

[...]

abergel
> - how do I say that I want the text from the node?
> - how can I get the Konkrator used?

Without Kontraktor:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| rawView view |
rawView := ROView new.
view := ROMondrianViewBuilder view: rawView.

view shape rectangle withText.
view nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
view edgesFrom: #superclass.
view treeLayout.

view open
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

With Kontraktor:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| rawView view k |
rawView := ROView new.
view := ROMondrianViewBuilder view: rawView.

k := MalKontractor toSize: 10.
view shape rectangle withText: [:cls | k reduce: cls name ].
view nodes: Collection withAllSubclasses.
view edgesFrom: #superclass.
view treeLayout.

view open

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

abergel
Why not?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Dec 7, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 2 ].
> view  shape withCenteredText: [:each | each name].
> view nodes: packageGroup.
> view gridLayout
>
> Does not work nicely
>

> On Dec 7, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 7, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> you mean something like:
>>>
>>> view elements do: [ :el |
>>> el + (ROLabel text: [ el model ]) ]
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> I guess somehow.
>> Now can I use that in the roassal easel/.
>> Can I mix that with mondrian script?

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

abergel
> Ok but my script (which does not work is
>
> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
> view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
> view nodes: packageGroup.
> view gridLayout

Why it does not work?

> how do I turn that in roassal.

Turning it into roassal will be much longer. Why do you want to have pure Roassal? Do you need to do interaction with the visualization?

> Where can I find an example?
> Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?

You can send rawView to the view

Alexandre

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

abergel
> thanks yuri
> Now I would like the shape not to be influenced by the text.

view shape withoutBorder.
view nodes: packageGroup forEach: [ :pak |
        view shape label text: [:p | (MalKontractor toSize: 4) reduce: p name ] .
        view interaction forward.
        view node: pak.

        view shape rectangle size: pak numberOfClasses.
        view interaction forward.
        view node: pak.

        view verticalLineLayout.
].
view gridLayout.

Alexandre

> So far I have the impression that I should spend a month or two to build
> my own tools and this depressed me so much….
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 07 Dec 2013, at 19:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok but my script (which does not work is
>>>
>>> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
>>> view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
>>> view nodes: packageGroup.
>>> view gridLayout
>>>

>>> how do I turn that in roassal.
>>>
>>> Where can I find an example?
>>> Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?
>>
>> Oh, ok.
>>
>> rawView := view raw.
>> rawView addAll: (ROElement forCollection: packageGroup).
>>
>> rawView elements do: [ :el |
>> el size: el model classes size * 5.
>> el + ROBorder.
>> el + (ROCenteredLabel text: [ MalKontractor reduce: el model name upTo: 8 ]) ].
>>
>> ROGridLayout on: rawView elements.

Re: Roassal: is there an example how to add a name to any shape?

Tudor Girba-2
I believe that Stef is asking for a possibility of specifying a text decorator that does not make the shape increase size if the text overflows, but instead it trims the text.

Doru

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks yuri
> Now I would like the shape not to be influenced by the text.

view shape withoutBorder.
view nodes: packageGroup forEach: [ :pak |
        view shape label text: [:p | (MalKontractor toSize: 4) reduce: p name ] .
        view interaction forward.
        view node: pak.

        view shape rectangle size: pak numberOfClasses.
        view interaction forward.
        view node: pak.

        view verticalLineLayout.
].
view gridLayout.

Alexandre

> So far I have the impression that I should spend a month or two to build
> my own tools and this depressed me so much….
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 07 Dec 2013, at 19:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok but my script (which does not work is
>>>
>>> view shape rectangle size: [:each | each classes size * 5 ].
>>> view shape withCenteredText: [:each | (MalKontractor reduce: each name upTo: 8) ].
>>> view nodes: packageGroup.
>>> view gridLayout
>>>

>>> how do I turn that in roassal.
>>>
>>> Where can I find an example?
>>> Is there a roassal easel? or is the roassal easel bot for mondrian and roassal?
>>
>> Oh, ok.
>>
>> rawView := view raw.
>> rawView addAll: (ROElement forCollection: packageGroup).
>>
>> rawView elements do: [ :el |
>> el size: el model classes size * 5.
>> el + ROBorder.
>> el + (ROCenteredLabel text: [ MalKontractor reduce: el model name upTo: 8 ]) ].
>>
>> ROGridLayout on: rawView elements.

"Every thing has its own flow"