Roassal vision - animated layout algorithm

Roassal vision - animated layout algorithm

Ben Coman

Just an idea floating through my head (its good to let them out before
they do too much damage in there) ...

It seems lots of research continues to goes into improving layouting
algorithms.  I think Roassal could provide a good basis to visualize the
operation of a layout algorithm as an animation.  This could be useful
to researchers as well as teaching demonstrations to students.  The
benefit for Roassal of being 'the platform' for researchers to develop
and test their layout algorithms, would be ending up with all the latest
and greatest of these built-in.

Perhaps a student project...
One alternative could be a framework that manually inserted
#signalUpdate's  at significant points of the algorithm.
Another could being extending the Smalltalk debugger to automatically
send #signalUpdate's with each step.

cheers -ben

Re: Roassal vision - animated layout algorithm

abergel
Hi Ben,

There is the ROLayoutTranslator hierarchy that is used to have smooth animation. Indeed, a signalUpdate is done at every relevant steps.

By the way, have you tried:
| view |
view := ROMondrianViewBuilder new.
ROMondrianExample new chooseLayoutOn: view.
view open

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu