Roassal vs Roassal 2

kilon.alios
I see in the roassal.pdf that it refers to roassal but in smalltalkhub there is also Roassal 2. Which of the two I should be using and whats their diffirence ? Will the existing roassal.pdf documentation work with Roassal 2 ?

Re: Roassal vs Roassal 2

philippeback
Prefixing with RT (Roassal Two) instead of RO (ROassal) will get you started.

Phil

I see in the roassal.pdf that it refers to roassal but in smalltalkhub there is also Roassal 2. Which of the two I should be using and whats their diffirence ? Will the existing roassal.pdf documentation work with Roassal 2 ?

Re: Roassal vs Roassal 2

Peter Uhnak
A new book is being written by Alexandre. You can find it at http://agilevisualization.com/
Also there is about hundred examples in the Roassal2 repository. (Open "Roassal examples" browser from world menu.)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Prefixing with RT (Roassal Two) instead of RO (ROassal) will get you started.

Phil

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see in the roassal.pdf that it refers to roassal but in smalltalkhub there is also Roassal 2. Which of the two I should be using and whats their diffirence ? Will the existing roassal.pdf documentation work with Roassal 2 ?

Re: Roassal vs Roassal 2

abergel
Hi!

Currently Roassal2 _does not have any optimization_, which does not imply Roassal2 is slow. You can easily have 500 000 elements on screen without having much lag.

In the future, we should be able to plug QuadTree in Roassal2. But currently, nothing has been done in that respect (except keeping the core of Roassal clean and lean :-).

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Sep 12, 2014, at 1:32 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

wow 500.000 is a huge number for my needs. How about animation ? I assume its similar situation there too. Well then I have little reason not to use it. Hopefully I will make a few contributions too :)

When I first used Roassal I was sceptical on its design , but now that I see more and more people using it and more documentation about it I see its going to a direction I wanted to go. I also see that Roassal works well with Morphic and Spec which is very good too for my needs. Great job !

Should ask questions here or in stackoverflow ?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Currently Roassal2 _does not have any optimization_, which does not imply Roassal2 is slow. You can easily have 500 000 elements on screen without having much lag.

In the future, we should be able to plug QuadTree in Roassal2. But currently, nothing has been done in that respect (except keeping the core of Roassal clean and lean :-).

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Sep 12, 2014, at 1:32 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes I am using Roassal 2 now , I also care a lot about the performance cause of my project Hyperion which is and going to be a GUI builder and vector editor , I want to make GUIs with Roassal so performance is an issue. I am studying the examples and I will return with questions. The SVG import and export is certainly very useful for my needs.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:25 AM, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also advice you to use Roassal2, it is much faster and you can do more fun stuff. About documentation there are also the examples, with right-click you can see the code needed to create each example.

Cheers,
Alejandro

On Sep 10, 2014, at 8:05 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

thank you both for your help, I have installed Roassal 2 in Pharo 3 and it works fine judging from examples so now I will study the doc from the Peter's link and the examples Phil referred to.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
A new book is being written by Alexandre. You can find it at http://agilevisualization.com/
Also there is about hundred examples in the Roassal2 repository. (Open "Roassal examples" browser from world menu.)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Prefixing with RT (Roassal Two) instead of RO (ROassal) will get you started.

Phil

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see in the roassal.pdf that it refers to roassal but in smalltalkhub there is also Roassal 2. Which of the two I should be using and whats their diffirence ? Will the existing roassal.pdf documentation work with Roassal 2 ?

Re: Roassal vs Roassal 2

abergel
> wow 500.000 is a huge number for my needs. How about animation ? I assume its similar situation there too. Well then I have little reason not to use it. Hopefully I will make a few contributions too :)

I have not pushed Roassal to its limits regarding animation. But as far as we have seen, you can animate many things, smoothly.

Some example:
https://vimeo.com/105357832
[ animation beings at 1:33 ]

https://vimeo.com/96091089

> Should ask questions here or in stackoverflow ?

Easiest for you. The mailing list its probably the easier for us

Alexandre