Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

12

Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

volkert-2
Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

Volkert

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Peter Uhnak
Clicking on Proceed should install it, only examples will be broken.

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

I don't see how this is related to Pharo.

Peter

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

abergel
Hi Volkert,

I am currently traveling. I will have a close look at this

Alexandre

> Le 24 sept. 2015 à 12:16, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(
>
> Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...
>
> Volkert
>
> <ijddbdgd.png>

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

volkert-2
You are right. But it is not Roassal alone ...from a User (f.e. a newcomer) perspective it is always bad, if things not work ...and if things
not work, the "Pharo Ecosystem" so is not so cool anymore. So it is relates to "Pharo".

I like the pace the "Pharo" Development moves forward, but i am afraid you will lose potential users, if the things break all the time.

Volkert
PS: Yes i love Pharo ... and i hope that one day i can make money with it :-)

On 24.09.2015 18:14, Peter Uhnák wrote:
Clicking on Proceed should install it, only examples will be broken.

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

I don't see how this is related to Pharo.

Peter

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

volkert-2
Easy.

BW,
Volkert

On 24.09.2015 18:25, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Volkert,
>
> I am currently traveling. I will have a close look at this
>
> Alexandre
>
>> Le 24 sept. 2015 à 12:16, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(
>>
>> Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...
>>
>> Volkert
>>
>> <ijddbdgd.png>

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

stepharo
Sorry but this has nothing to do with Pharo.
We migrated Moose (150 packages) from pharo 30 to 40 in two days.
So pharo is not unstable!
Repeat after me Pharo is not unstable.

Now if people do not maintain Roassal2 to load in several versions of Pharo this is the
fault of Pharo.

When my mac backup tool does not work on yosemite anymore I do not say that this is an objective-C problem.

Stef

PS: why don't you try to find the latest version of Roassal that worked in Pharo40 and make sure that you use this one.

Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

Volkert

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

philippeback
Pharo is very stable. Running in production without problems.

It takes a while to get things working on a new version of course.

Pharo4.0 is out since just a couple of months, of course all packages aren't aligned.

I am using Pharo3.0 for commercial solutions and Pharo5.x for learning.

But you are right that configurations have to be rock solid.

I've found that #stable may not be so #stable and that it would be better to load '1.2.3' instead.
The issue is that some dependencies are on #stable or similar symbols that change and are giving headaches.

Phil

On 24.09.2015 20:25, stepharo wrote:
Sorry but this has nothing to do with Pharo.
We migrated Moose (150 packages) from pharo 30 to 40 in two days.
So pharo is not unstable!
Repeat after me Pharo is not unstable.

Sorry, of course not Pharo. Pharo is perfect ... ;-)

Now if people do not maintain Roassal2 to load in several versions of Pharo this is the
fault of Pharo.

I understand, it is Roassal2 and the way how dependencies are managed. But i have the feeling
that with Glamour things are more complicated now ....

When my mac backup tool does not work on yosemite anymore I do not say that this is an objective-C problem.

When my SuperDuper-Pharo-Based-Tool does not work on Ubuntu anymore i do not say that this is an Pharo problem.

Stef

PS: why don't you try to find the latest version of Roassal that worked in Pharo40 and make sure that you use this one.

i thought when i "loadStable" it is the latest version that worked in Pharo40.

Volkert

Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

Volkert

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 24-09-15 21:33, [hidden email] wrote:

> Pharo is very stable. Running in production without problems.
>
> It takes a while to get things working on a new version of course.
>
> Pharo4.0 is out since just a couple of months, of course all packages
> aren't aligned.
>
> I am using Pharo3.0 for commercial solutions and Pharo5.x for learning.
>
> But you are right that configurations have to be rock solid.
>
> I've found that #stable may not be so #stable and that it would be better
> to load '1.2.3' instead.
> The issue is that some dependencies are on #stable or similar symbols that
> change and are giving headaches.

NO. The problem is that the dependencies are specified as numbered versions
instead of symbolic ones. That means that every change to a leave breaks
all configurations above. That is what creates the brittleness, not the
change itself.
Why are GlamourCore and therefore Roassal2 depending on broken versions
of Rubric?

Stephan

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

abergel
Hi Volkert and Johan,

I think a wrong version of Roassal was chosen. I fixed the configuration.
Try in Pharo 4.0:

Gofer it
  smalltalkhubUser: 'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';
  configurationOf: 'Roassal2';
  loadVersion: ‘1.15'

It should work. And you have even the example browser!

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Sep 24, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(
>
> Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...
>
> Volkert
>
> <ijddbdgd.png>

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

jfabry

Yes, it works now. Thanks a lot, Alex!

> On Sep 24, 2015, at 19:30, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Volkert and Johan,
>
> I think a wrong version of Roassal was chosen. I fixed the configuration.
> Try in Pharo 4.0:
>
> Gofer it
>  smalltalkhubUser: 'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';
>  configurationOf: 'Roassal2';
>  loadVersion: ‘1.15'
>
> It should work. And you have even the example browser!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>> On Sep 24, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(
>>
>> Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...
>>
>> Volkert
>>
>> <ijddbdgd.png>

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

volkert-2
Yes, this Version works. Thank you.

But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.

BW,
Volkert
PS: Roassal is so cooooool.

On 25.09.2015 00:30, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
Hi Volkert and Johan,

I think a wrong version of Roassal was chosen. I fixed the configuration.
Try in Pharo 4.0:

Gofer it
  smalltalkhubUser: 'ObjectProfile' project: 'Roassal2';
  configurationOf: 'Roassal2';
  loadVersion: ‘1.15'

It should work. And you have even the example browser!

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Sep 24, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Volkert [hidden email] wrote:

Roassal2 (stable) does not load into Pharo 4.0 anymore:-(

Too bad that Pharo is so instable ...

Volkert

<ijddbdgd.png>

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 05:18, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.

You are right, as an end user you should just use #stable on any supported platform and it should work.

The authors of the configuration can declare for each platform (Pharo 4, 5) which is the stable version.

Obviously someone made a mistake while moving forward, we are all humans after all.

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

volkert-2
On 25.09.2015 07:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> On 25 Sep 2015, at 05:18, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.
> You are right, as an end user you should just use #stable on any supported platform and it should work.
>
> The authors of the configuration can declare for each platform (Pharo 4, 5) which is the stable version.
>
> Obviously someone made a mistake while moving forward, we are all humans after all.
i have no intention to blame here someone ... i only try to understand
how the things  are connected ... and i have learned something new ...

Volkert

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks for your patience, Volkert.

And thanks Alex for fixing the configuration.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
On <a href="tel:25.09.2015%2007" value="+12509201507" target="_blank">25.09.2015 07:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
On 25 Sep 2015, at 05:18, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:

But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.
You are right, as an end user you should just use #stable on any supported platform and it should work.

The authors of the configuration can declare for each platform (Pharo 4, 5) which is the stable version.

Obviously someone made a mistake while moving forward, we are all humans after all.
i have no intention to blame here someone ... i only try to understand how the things  are connected ... and i have learned something new ...

Volkert

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Peter Uhnak
There should be CI job for Roassal2 #stable and Pharo4.
Especially if most of Roassal contributors/devs are in Pharo 5 and thus only end-users will notice it.

(with the multi-configuration job in Jenkins it's easy to setup custom matrix)

Peter

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your patience, Volkert.

And thanks Alex for fixing the configuration.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
On <a href="tel:25.09.2015%2007" value="+12509201507" target="_blank">25.09.2015 07:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
On 25 Sep 2015, at 05:18, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:

But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.
You are right, as an end user you should just use #stable on any supported platform and it should work.

The authors of the configuration can declare for each platform (Pharo 4, 5) which is the stable version.

Obviously someone made a mistake while moving forward, we are all humans after all.
i have no intention to blame here someone ... i only try to understand how the things  are connected ... and i have learned something new ...

Volkert

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 12:08, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There should be CI job for Roassal2 #stable and Pharo4.
> Especially if most of Roassal contributors/devs are in Pharo 5 and thus only end-users will notice it.
>
> (with the multi-configuration job in Jenkins it's easy to setup custom matrix)

Yes, this is so useful, I can hardly imagine doing it without a CI (no one has time to do all the testing)

  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/ZincHTTPComponents/

The cool thing is that there are also images as artefacts, which users can download when they have trouble building from source.

But there have to be project specific tests as well.

> Peter
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your patience, Volkert.
>
> And thanks Alex for fixing the configuration.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 25.09.2015 07:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2015, at 05:18, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But how do i figure out, which is the right Version for Pharo 4.0? I always thought loadStable is ok, as mentioned http://objectprofile.com/Roassal.html.
> You are right, as an end user you should just use #stable on any supported platform and it should work.
>
> The authors of the configuration can declare for each platform (Pharo 4, 5) which is the stable version.
>
> Obviously someone made a mistake while moving forward, we are all humans after all.
> i have no intention to blame here someone ... i only try to understand how the things  are connected ... and i have learned something new ...
>
> Volkert

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Peter Uhnak

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 12:08, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There should be CI job for Roassal2 #stable and Pharo4.
> Especially if most of Roassal contributors/devs are in Pharo 5 and thus only end-users will notice it.
>
> (with the multi-configuration job in Jenkins it's easy to setup custom matrix)

Yes, this is so useful, I can hardly imagine doing it without a CI (no one has time to do all the testing)

  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/ZincHTTPComponents/

The cool thing is that there are also images as artefacts, which users can download when they have trouble building from source.

But there have to be project specific tests as well.

Roassal of course does have CI (just like the rest of the Moose), but it tests Pharo 5.

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Andrei Chis
https://ci.inria.fr/moose/view/Moose%205.1/job/roassal2-pharo4/

CI job that loads roassal2 #stable on Pharo 4.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 12:08, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There should be CI job for Roassal2 #stable and Pharo4.
> Especially if most of Roassal contributors/devs are in Pharo 5 and thus only end-users will notice it.
>
> (with the multi-configuration job in Jenkins it's easy to setup custom matrix)

Yes, this is so useful, I can hardly imagine doing it without a CI (no one has time to do all the testing)

  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/ZincHTTPComponents/

The cool thing is that there are also images as artefacts, which users can download when they have trouble building from source.

But there have to be project specific tests as well.

Roassal of course does have CI (just like the rest of the Moose), but it tests Pharo 5.

Re: Roassal2 / Pharo 4.0

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 Sep 2015, at 14:08, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/moose/view/Moose%205.1/job/roassal2-pharo4/
>
> CI job that loads roassal2 #stable on Pharo 4.

Cool !